General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

coolant temp

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Re: coolant temp

From Shoebox - the one on the left in your pictures is the correct one:

The last white hashmark before the red section is about 240*F, at which point both fans should be running.

Last edited by Injuneer; 04-15-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
From Shoebox - the one on the left in your pictures is the correct one:

The last white hashmark before the red section is about 240*F, at which point both fans should be running.
so its normal for it to go close to the red hash but not in the red hash?
Old 04-15-2015, 03:58 PM

nope it just overheated on me again... it came bursting out the overflow reservoir which means their is air in the lines or their is a leak correct?

Last edited by warmeck; 04-15-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Administrator

At any point have you checked for hydrocarbons in the coolant? Air doesn't explode out of the reservoir. Combustion gasses do.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:36 PM

At any point have you checked for hydrocarbons in the coolant? Air doesn't explode out of the reservoir. Combustion gasses do.
well i drained the oil and it wasent milky, im not getting white smoke out of my exhaust. or antifreeze coming out, the overflow dosent have oil in it.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:59 PM

went and got a presure tester and my radiator is cracked... so im going to order a new one thank u everyone for ur help.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Administrator

A damaged head gasket does not necessarily cause oil and coolant to mix. There is no pressurized oil in the heads, just gravity drainback from the pushrods/rockers.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:36 PM

thankyou for that info did not know that...
Old 04-16-2015, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by warmeck
went and got a presure tester and my radiator is cracked... so im going to order a new one thank u everyone for ur help.
The frustrating thing about trying to help you is that this is the third different thread you have started on the same problem, dating back to the beginning of March. Pressure testing the radiator was suggested in the past, checking for hydrocarbons was suggested in the past, we have confirmed that you ordered the correct t'stat in the past.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:23 AM

The frustrating thing about trying to help you is that this is the third different thread you have started on the same problem, dating back to the beginning of March. Pressure testing the radiator was suggested in the past, checking for hydrocarbons was suggested in the past, we have confirmed that you ordered the correct t'stat in the past.
the thing is i had pressure tested it before and it did not show any leaks. my temps were temporarily fine for about 3-4days not going past the 3rd hash mark when the fans would come on right away. then i fixed the fans to not come on right at startup and then it overheated on me again so i rented another pressure tester and did it again and it found that the radiator had a leak on the side where u fill it up at. I probably did not make that clear i am sorry about that.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:24 PM

im having a couple of problem with my car and it just got worse. i am going to start by giving you guys a part list of what i bought. i got a radiator cap, temperature gauge sensor, engine coolant temperature sensor, brand new radiator. i have relays for the fans coming in tomorrow morning. My engine was overheating getting to about 230 240 in the red zone. i bought a pressure tester and i had a leak in my radiator, replaced it and now my engine idles bad and i still have the overheating problem. i thought that having air bubbles in the coolant would make my engine idle funny so i bled the system and it began to idle normally for a while but then the rpms began to rise again. i am also getting a check engine light
Old 04-17-2015, 10:15 PM

What does a scan for trouble codes tell you?
Old 04-17-2015, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
What does a scan for trouble codes tell you?
how do i run a scan again? this is not for a 94 http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg would it be the same for a 94? i have a OBD2 scanner if i bought this would this scan it? http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...nner/5390_0_0/
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...archTerm=obd1+

Last edited by warmeck; 04-17-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:13 PM

The last time my car overheated like that my waterpump failed

You got alot going on and I think you threw a lot of $$$ at this problem for no reason..

When you have an over heating issue..

#1 make sure fans work
#2 make sure you got flow
#3 make sure there are no air pockets or gas pressure (read bubbles)

Yes checking for codes is priority #1 before all of this but the mechanics of this situation has to work first then check sensors codes and what the computer is seeing or not seeing

I'm sure you will figure it out...it's just a bit harder for us to 100% get it right the first time without actually being under the hood with ya so be patient and cover the basics first and we will help the best that we can.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:51 AM

i meant service engine soon light,

Quick Reply: coolant temp