General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Converting a 96 RS to a SS

Old 07-24-2005, 08:28 AM
GP Moderator

Re: Converting a 96 RS to a SS

Originally Posted by Thailog81
This Joe Brodman must own a whole lot of freakin SS's or you know maybe he helped design them or something...
Not at all. And I feel this way about ANY car.

Just like the douchebag V6 Firebird owners putting Formula badges on their cars. My car is a rim-swap away from looking like a Formula WS6, but the hell if I'd ever put the badges on it.

What about a C5 FRC owner who tossed on the Z06 rims/grill inserts/brake vents and a supercharger? Would definately make more power as a Z06, and look just like one. Does that make it a Z06 then??

Doing mods to a car doesn't make it a different model, period, end of story. An SS is an SS because of what SLP did to it, it's build number, etc. It's people like you that hurt the value of genuine lower production cars, and make it that much harder to decipher what is real and what isn't when it comes time to buy one.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Brodman

Just like the douchebag V6 Firebird owners putting Formula badges on their cars. My car is a rim-swap away from looking like a Formula WS6, but the hell if I'd ever put the badges on it.

What about a C5 FRC owner who tossed on the Z06 rims/grill inserts/brake vents and a supercharger? Would definately make more power as a Z06, and look just like one. Does that make it a Z06 then??

Doing mods to a car doesn't make it a different model, period, end of story. An SS is an SS because of what SLP did to it, it's build number, etc. It's people like you that hurt the value of genuine lower production cars, and make it that much harder to decipher what is real and what isn't when it comes time to buy one.
Agreed 100%. It's just something you don't do. I cringe every time I see a '70 Malibu that someone has made into a Chevelle SS 454. It's like an unwritten law with car enthusiasts......I know I'd never try to make something into something it's not.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by GT KILLER
Agreed 100%. It's just something you don't do. I cringe every time I see a '70 Malibu that someone has made into a Chevelle SS 454. It's like an unwritten law with car enthusiasts......I know I'd never try to make something into something it's not.
I also agree. This is exactly why I chose the "Ultra-Z" hood and emblems instead of the "SS" stuff.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:36 PM

Amen to that!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:44 AM

Agreed partially but if it has the same engine and equipment as an original SS I see no reason as to why it can't be labled an SS...
Old 07-25-2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by white/blackss
Whats Wrong With Badging It As An Ss?

You Could Always Do What Im In The Process Of Doing.
I Actually Spoke With Street Legal Performance ( Slp )
And There Rep Told Me That If I Was Confident That All The Slp Correct Parts Were Already On The Car, That I Could Possibly Set Up A Meeting With Slp And Actually Get My Own Ss Number For My Car Along With A Slp Cert And Signature

Do What Ever You Like It`s Your Car

Good Luck Man
Exactly, do what YOU want, not what anyone else wants...i sound like Dr. Phil.

Charlie
Old 07-25-2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Agreed partially but if it has the same engine and equipment as an original SS I see no reason as to why it can't be labled an SS...
Because that is not what came from the factory for that particular VIN number. There were "X" number of SS's each year from GM. Clone's don't count.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:05 PM

Who cares? I don't care about making mine look like an SS, but if I did, it would have badges. It's just a decal, it doesn't change crap. It doesn't reduce the value of a real SS, anybody that buys an SS is going to check the VIN to make sure it's real. No matter how many people put SS badges on thier car it doesn't change the number of real SS cars. It amazes me that people are willing to pay substantially more money for a car when the only real difference between it and any other Z28 is having a number assigned to it.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff
Who cares? I don't care about making mine look like an SS, but if I did, it would have badges. It's just a decal, it doesn't change crap. It doesn't reduce the value of a real SS, anybody that buys an SS is going to check the VIN to make sure it's real. No matter how many people put SS badges on thier car it doesn't change the number of real SS cars. It amazes me that people are willing to pay substantially more money for a car when the only real difference between it and any other Z28 is having a number assigned to it.
You're missing the point here, I think.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:16 PM

Pretty if you own the car you can do whatever you want to it. But if you label it something it's not your just driving around a fake. And some people like that. Personally I'd rather have a good old Z28. Because after you put the same performance parts the SS has (or better) you'll be saving alot of money. Then you could pull up to a factory SS and leave it sitting there. Most people that get SS really don't put that much work into there car as much as a Z28 person. But I guess here in '07 we'll see if Chevy brings back the SS, they'll probably just make the basic Camaro V6 and Camaro Z28. Then after enough people complain we'll see the SS again. Then alot of SS people that bought the Z28 will go and mod' there car to be an SS, or trade in the Z28 for SS. I just hope I have the money to get a new '07.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:42 PM

agreed
Old 07-25-2005, 04:52 PM

keep the V6 springs for better weight transfer.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff
You assume people check VINs. I bet the majority of people don't. The bottom line is that an SS will bring more money. My issue is that people are making something that it is not. It isn't an issue to me of what you can do to make a car better. You can always make any car better.
You can take a plain, jane 1969 Camaro and put in an aluminum 427 and that doesn't make it a ZL1.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:39 PM

OK when i started this discusion i was looking for the differences i will have to make to change my 3.8 V6 to a LT-1. I know about the wiring harness, the sensors, the crossmember for the trany. I don't know what computer is in the Z or SS in compaired to mine. I don't know if the 5 speed Automatic Trans is compatible. I figured the fuel pump would have to go. I know about the gauges. It was never about labeling the freakin car anything I feal the same way as others it is my property I can label it a mustang and i wouldn't care if anyone thinks it shouldn't be labeled that because of the VIN or the SLP. Everyone that is stupid enough to get a car and not check the VIN deserves to buy a fake. It takes about 3 minutes to look and find out what the VIN #'s apply to. the Make model and package. I am not looking for a discussion about the labeling i am interested about the upgrading of the engine and other components. I would like to know if the stock rear end will hold up with the power of the LT-1 pushing it. I have had the whole rear end rebuilt. "Even though labeling it a mustang would finally give mustangs a good model, i wouldn't really degrade my car by placing it on it"
Old 07-25-2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Thailog81
OK when i started this discusion i was looking for the differences i will have to make to change my 3.8 V6 to a LT-1. I know about the wiring harness, the sensors, the crossmember for the trany. I don't know what computer is in the Z or SS in compaired to mine. I don't know if the 5 speed Automatic Trans is compatible. I figured the fuel pump would have to go. I know about the gauges. It was never about labeling the freakin car anything I feal the same way as others it is my property I can label it a mustang and i wouldn't care if anyone thinks it shouldn't be labeled that because of the VIN or the SLP. Everyone that is stupid enough to get a car and not check the VIN deserves to buy a fake. It takes about 3 minutes to look and find out what the VIN #'s apply to. the Make model and package. I am not looking for a discussion about the labeling i am interested about the upgrading of the engine and other components. I would like to know if the stock rear end will hold up with the power of the LT-1 pushing it. I have had the whole rear end rebuilt. "Even though labeling it a mustang would finally give mustangs a good model, i wouldn't really degrade my car by placing it on it"
Well, it'd still be cheaper in the end for you to just find a nice SS and get that. But it's your choice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Converting a 96 RS to a SS