General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Clock always lit

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:56 AM

Question Clock always lit

Hi, guys!
Well, that is the problem on my Camaro'95 3.4. Clock always stays lit (I mean when ign is off especially) and discharge my batterу for couple of days.
How could I fix it? I googled this problem, and it's a common problem for different cars.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: Clock always lit

Check to see if your wipers still work with the ignition off. If so, you have a defective ignition switch. The radio and wipers are on the same section of the ignition switch.

If the wipers do not work, the problem is likely with the RAP module (if installed) being defective. Normally it shuts off radio power 10 minutes after the ignition switch goes off.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 10-26-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:30 AM

Or your radio might have gone bad. It's not an uncommon thing.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Long time since my audio was removed, but wasn't it possible to display the time BRIEFLY with the ignition off, by pressing one of the ***** (would only stay on while holding the **** in - or was that maybe just a Firebird feature?)? Maybe the **** is stuck "in".

Just a thought.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:01 PM
Prominent Member

There's an easy way to check this: Pull the Radio fuse from the instrument panel fuse block. If the display goes out, the fault is in the car outside the radio, except for a possible stuck knnob. If not, the fault is in the radio. The only other power to the radio has nothing to do with the clock display, just the button lights and memory.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 10-27-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:42 AM

Smile Re: Clock always lit

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Check to see if your wipers still work with the ignition off. If so, you have a defective ignition switch. The radio and wipers are on the same section of the ignition switch.

If the wipers do not work, the problem is likely with the RAP module (if installed) being defective. Normally it shuts off radio power 10 minutes after the ignition switch goes off.
I checked. Wipers wasn't working when ign is off.
RAM module, if I understood this correctly, never used since I bought a car. If you mean this plug above pedals)
Old 10-28-2015, 04:45 AM

Smile Re: Clock always lit

There's an easy way to check this: Pull the Radio fuse from the instrument panel fuse block. If the display goes out, the fault is in the car outside the radio, except for a possible stuck ****. If not, the fault is in the radio. The only other power to the radio has nothing to do with the clock display, just the button lights and memory.
Previous owner set fuses with different numbers, most of them. Could it be a problem? I will try to unplug it today, thanks.
And I'm not sure I understand the last thought) What exactly do you meant?
Old 10-28-2015, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Maybe the **** is stuck "in". Just a thought.
But which one?)
Old 10-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by Latronaxe
Previous owner set fuses with different numbers, most of them.
Are you saying the previous owner rewired the fuse panel? If so, that is likely the problem unless this problem started long after that..
Old 10-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Latronaxe
Previous owner set fuses with different numbers, most of them. Could it be a problem? I will try to unplug it today, thanks.
Or..... do you mean the amp ratings shown on the fuses to not match the amp ratings shown on the diagram on the cover? Which would not affect the operation of the radio, or the results of pulling the fuse.

And I'm not sure I understand the last thought) What exactly do you meant?
I think Gary was explaining - there are three power supplies to the radio. One is ignition switch power, via fuse #17 on the instrument panel fuse block. That supplies power to everything in the radio, EXCEPT the station/security memory (battery power via fuse #8) and the lighting behind the ***** (dimmer switch fuse via fuse #13). The fact that you can display the time with the ignition key in the "OFF" position would seem to indicate that the clock may be supplied with battery power.... but I suspect Gary has been inside these radios and knows better than I do.

But which one?)
I only have the 94 factory manual, not the 95, but the 94 manual indicates that when the ignition key is in the "OFF" position, "simply push the upper **** or the 'RCL' button, The time will display for five seconds."

Which radio do you have - the "standard" radio or the Delco-Bose system? The fuses I mentioned above are based on Shoebox's diagram for the 1995 Delco-Bose system. He does not have the 95 standard radio, but I would expect the fuses would be the same.

http://shbox.com/1/bose_wiring.jpg
Old 10-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Prominent Member

I only have the 94 factory manual, not the 95, but the 94 manual indicates that when the ignition key is in the "OFF" position, "simply push the upper **** or the 'RCL' button, The time will display for five seconds."
The 95 manual says the same thing. The upper **** means the power button.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:41 AM

Are you saying the previous owner rewired the fuse panel? If so, that is likely the problem unless this problem started long after that..
No, it's not a problem... I changed them according to fuse chart and nothing happens))

Or..... do you mean the amp ratings shown on the fuses to not match the amp ratings shown on the diagram on the cover? Which would not affect the operation of the radio, or the results of pulling the fuse.

I think Gary was explaining - there are three power supplies to the radio. One is ignition switch power, via fuse #17 on the instrument panel fuse block. That supplies power to everything in the radio, EXCEPT the station/security memory (battery power via fuse #8) and the lighting behind the ***** (dimmer switch fuse via fuse #13). The fact that you can display the time with the ignition key in the "OFF" position would seem to indicate that the clock may be supplied with battery power.... but I suspect Gary has been inside these radios and knows better than I do.

Which radio do you have - the "standard" radio or the Delco-Bose system? The fuses I mentioned above are based on Shoebox's diagram for the 1995 Delco-Bose system. He does not have the 95 standard radio, but I would expect the fuses would be the same.

http://shbox.com/1/bose_wiring.jpg
What's the difference between standart and Delco-bose in that case? I could come down and see, but there must be a reason)
I think 94 and 95 are almost the same... What is RCL button? Ign key? I have only one button above ign key, it's hazard lights.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Administrator

You press a button ON THE RADIO, not near the ignition key. On the radio face there are two round ***** toward the left side... one is on the top, one is on the bottom. Press and hold the center of the top **** (or at least make sure it isn't stuck).

Just to the right of the top **** on the radio face, there are two rectangular buttons. The top one is labeled "SET", the lower one is labeled "RCL". Press and hold the RCL button.

The standard radio is labeled "Delco Electronics" just to the left of the clock and is RPO code "UN6" on the service parts label in the glove box. The optional upgrade radio is labeled "Delco BOSE" just to the left of the clock and is RPO code "UU8".

The wiring is different for the two radios. And I know from 94 to 95 some of the fuse assignments were changed.

Last edited by Injuneer; 10-28-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:44 AM

I made a picture

And what should I do now? I see no RCL button)
Battery unplugged, that's why the clock is off.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Look at the top ****

The center of the top **** is a button

Immediately under the ****, it says "PROG-RCL" with a button symbol.

That indicates that the button in the center of the **** functions as both the PROGRAM and the RCL function. Pressing the button will recall the station being played or the time.

If this is still not clear, read pages 3-6 to 3-9 of your Owner's Manual. If you do not have the Owner's Manual, click here and download it (courtesy of Shoebox):

http://shbox.com/pdf/1995camaro.pdf

Quick Reply: Clock always lit