General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Car has been sitting for awhile, A/C only blows out warm air?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 09:31 PM

Car has been sitting for awhile, A/C only blows out warm air?

Hey all...car has been sitting in my garage for around a year so far...i've had a garage microprocessor charger on their monitoring the battery and when it start to get alittle low she charges it up. Before i got this, i would just let the car discharge, so yes the car was fully dead at one point. I usally start the car once every 2 weeks, take her out sometimes, etc.. etc...Well i took her out tonight for about 2 hours, and i put the A/C on and she was blowing warm air...the A/C was working fine before when she used to be my daily driver. Why all of a sudden would it stop working? I dont think its a freon issue since it blew CRAZY cold before i put her away in the garage, and it always has since i bought the car, never had any issues. Any ideas? Do you think becuase she discharged a sensor tripped and I have to reset it or something? Any ideas? thanks.....
Old 08-06-2005, 10:33 PM

Re: Car has been sitting for awhile, A/C only blows out warm air?

Letting the battery die will not impact the A/C.

You'll need to get it checked out, it is most likely low on refrigerant. Do you own a A/C pressure gauge? If not, now might be a good time to buy one.

If it is low, and there is a leak you can add some dye to it and use a black light to find the leak.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:40 PM

I've heard that the gaskets in the AC system require the refrigerant to keep them sealed correctly, so.........if the AC hasn't been used for quite a while - they could potentially dry up and allow a small leak to occur.

It's a good idea to throw on the AC -even in winter - when starting up your car.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:36 PM

your system is probably mostly empty now. More then likely the front seal leaked. "sometimes" if you recharge the system and ue it (might consider a 2oz oil charge as well) the front seal will swell with use and hold.... but most times not and you are in need of compressor replacment.