General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Cant pump gas into my 94Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:17 AM

Cant pump gas into my 94Z

It was late last night so i have no looked into this yet, but anyways the pump kept clicking, only managed to get 3$ into it. I kno for a fact the tank is not full, it's been a year or so since i've actually filled it up all the way.

Car has 150k. What happens with our cars? filler neck collapsed? something up with Charcoal canister?
I remember my girlfriends old 98 Altima had a removeable sensor from the charcoal canister that was not opening or closing therefore the pump kept shuttin off.

Any ideas with my car before i try to get out there later today?

Thanks fellas
Old 01-24-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bow94z
It was late last night so i have no looked into this yet, but anyways the pump kept clicking, only managed to get 3$ into it. I kno for a fact the tank is not full, it's been a year or so since i've actually filled it up all the way.

Car has 150k. What happens with our cars? filler neck collapsed? something up with Charcoal canister?
I remember my girlfriends old 98 Altima had a removeable sensor from the charcoal canister that was not opening or closing therefore the pump kept shuttin off.

Any ideas with my car before i try to get out there later today?

Thanks fellas

Not to be a smart ***, but the first thing I would try is a different pump. I've had some that wouldn't pump right, kind of what you are describing.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:56 AM

ah forgot to mention like 3weeks ago (last time i put gas in) at a differnet gas station i was pumping but i looked down and gas is spewin out the top of the filler neck. i got maybe 12$ out of it, but prolly 4$ of it was on the ground

good point thou........smart @$$ haha
Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 AM

Sounds to me like a clogged vent tube. There should be a smaller tube that runs back outta the tank up to the inlet along side the main fill tube. This is the same thing as the vent on a gas can and if it isn't flowing properly it will back up the fuel as it has to "burp" to allow the trapped air to excape.

This would account for having difficulties pumping fuel in as the fuel would back up to the end of the nozzle and the pumps auto shut off would kick in. It would also account for it forcing fuel out as the air came back up the fill tube.