General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Can't find VATS wire!

Old 07-04-2011, 02:28 PM

Can't find VATS wire!

I'm new to this forum and to old muscle cars but I know how to use a search and look for info before I post. Ive viewed hundreds of threads and videos trying to explain where to find the VATS wire that you use to bypass the system by placing resistors in it and I can't seem to find mine! I replaced my ignition and my car wont start. The lights come on and the choke and brake light stay lit. No cranking and just a ticking in the engine bay. It's a 1984 z28. Can someone help me find this damn thing or give me an idea of what might be wrong? I've been looking for an orange wire that had 2 white wires inside of it...Thanks in advance guys.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Re: Can't find VATS wire!

a little more info. Engine is a 5.0 HO and I believe the ticking is coming from the carburetor (like I said, new to muscle cars but it's from the center of the air filter). Gas gauge is low, don't know if that would cause it to not even try to crank but the ticking sound happens as soon as I put the key into the accy position and continues for about 15 seconds.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:47 PM

Your car does not have VATS. I think that started in 1988/1989.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:57 PM

had your battery checked lately? try jumping the starter or the relay and see if it turns over
Old 07-05-2011, 01:57 AM

it sounds a lot like the sound you get when your battery is too weak to start the car. try getting a jump start and see if that helps.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:48 AM

Battery is brand new. I'll try jumping it. any idea on why the choke and brake light stay on? I don't get why it starts clicking when its on accy. I don't have to try to turn it on to get the sound. by that I mean crank the engine. I read in many places that vats started in 84?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 PM

so jump starting did nothing. Still not cranking at all...any other ideas? Haven't tried jumping the starter. Never done that before. I have to look that up. Still get that ticking noise whenever I have it on the accy or try to turn it on. wondering if I messed up installing the ignition and the positions of the key is off. Is that even possible?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:49 PM

Trying to figure out how to jump the starter or the relay. Any quick how to's out there? Also, car is a 6 speed manual. IDK how often the clutch switch goes on these but how would I check that?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 PM

The purple wire and + battery cable terminals have to be jumped on the starter. You can do it with an old screwdriver (sometimes lots of sparks and may scare you a little) or use a remote starter switch that clips onto those terminals on the starter. Make sure it is in neutral with the brake on!

A clutch switch can be bypassed by unplugging it and jumpering the two terminals in the plug together.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:57 PM

Not a fan of a lot of sparks. Can I just remove it and bring it to autozone? Never jumped anything other then a car battery. What to I have to actually do to jump the clutch switch? Thanks for all the info.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by jouka
Trying to figure out how to jump the starter or the relay. Any quick how to's out there? Also, car is a 6 speed manual. IDK how often the clutch switch goes on these but how would I check that?
Are you sure your car is a 6-speed. No third gen car from 82-92 came with a 6-speed. Is this car all original or is it all hacked up.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by jouka
Battery is brand new. I'll try jumping it. any idea on why the choke and brake light stay on? I don't get why it starts clicking when its on accy. I don't have to try to turn it on to get the sound. by that I mean crank the engine. I read in many places that vats started in 84?
Well, I looked through the entire chiltons book at the electrical prints and the first year with vats was 1989. Also if you have access to the STANDARD CATALOG OF CAMARO 1967-2002 COPYRIGHT 2002 BY JOHN GUNNELL it states on page 127, 3rd sentence says the pass-key theft deterrent system was added.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 PM

In your 1st post you said you replaced the ignition. Just to be on the same page are you talking about where the key goes in. If so, your key has to have a pellet in it, and the keyed ignition will have two wires coming off of it that run down the steering column and get plugged in. If you don't have this, you don't have vats.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:48 PM

Well thanks for looking that up. Wasted 2 days looking for that stupid wire... Sorry, meant to say 5 speed. I should better explain this ticking noise. It's a fast tick and it's absolutely coming from the carb. The ground wire that is coming off the neg. battery cable was cut in half so I spliced that back together but the connection to the body is a little rusted. I'm gonna scrape it down to metal in the morning. Back to the ticking...it starts as soon as you put the key in the on position, all electronics power on and it ticks fast for about 15 seconds. I know in my other cars the fuel pump kicks in then. Anyway it could just be the fuel pump kicking fuel in? I do smell a little gas from the carb when I do it. I'm going to try and get that starter tested tomorrow after I inspect all the battery connections again. Found a video of exactly what it sounds like.
[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1356& transactionid=1309927728-17348252210&posted_by=jouka_www.camaroz28.com&yout ube_video_id=shbZRYZabyU[/autostream]
5:30 into the video. That is pretty much what it sounds like.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by cars3
In your 1st post you said you replaced the ignition. Just to be on the same page are you talking about where the key goes in. If so, your key has to have a pellet in it, and the keyed ignition will have two wires coming off of it that run down the steering column and get plugged in. If you don't have this, you don't have vats.
I got very wrong info from another site about vats then. I appreciate you looking that up for me. My key is blank and there were no wires coming from the ignition. I am talking about the ignition lock where the key goes in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can't find VATS wire!