General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Can someone confirm my fuel problem??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 12:29 AM

Can someone confirm my fuel problem??

I usually get 350+ miles per tank. But last night my car shut down at the end of the block at 291 miles. Seems like I ran out of gas as it wouldn't start and I've got a new job this week that had me stuck in hour long traffic the whole week. Anyways, sister came and fill up maybe 7/10th of a gallon. Start it up and drove half a mile to where there was a gas station. While making a u-turn to the station it stumbles like it's about to die again, so I shut it off and try to restart. No luck, maybe it's the pitch of the road? Pushed it to the station and filled up ONLY 11.32 gallons!!! Start it up, no problem. Went to restaurant a mile away and when I left it starts up. So I drove home. Today, start it up then a couple of blocks later it starts stumbling and my car was rocking. Pulled over and revved at 2k for 5 secs, seems ok and drove ok. Headed home to put a bottle of additive and just as I made the turn to my house, the car stumbles and stalls. So I roll to the front of my house. Now I can't restart it, it keeps turning.

When I turn the key to prime, NO SOUND at all.

Seems like the pump since I can only fill up 11.32 at the gas station. But it's strange that it also looks like I was out of gas, since each time I filled up last night it would then start up.

1)I'm sure its the fuel pump since, but before I replace it. I want to be 100% certain IT IS the Fuel Pump. Can someone confirm.
2)Could it be a fuse? Its dark now.
3)What is the fuel pump part number and does it come with the fuel sending unit?
Old 03-13-2005, 12:32 AM

Re: Can someone confirm my fuel problem??

fuel pump all the way, i wouldnt go another day without swaping it, its easy to do if u do it the fast way and cut the panel out of the back of the car
Old 03-13-2005, 12:48 AM

Yeah, fuel pump.. Swaping it out is pretty easy. But i don't like the fact of cutting a hole in the back of the car. Just drop the rear alittle and you can get the tank out..
As for pumps, stock replacement will work, but you can get a high pressure from racetronix. Check out there site for one for your car.. http://www.racetronix.com/
Old 03-13-2005, 01:19 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I've searched and racetronic is a popular replacement. I want to do the easy route and cut the rear pan open. I have almost 158,000 miles on my car and don't care if I do cut it up since it's such high mileage. Can someone post the link for the write up on the cut up?

What is the stock part #?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:10 AM

well we already figured it was the pump, same thinhg happened to my car b4 and my pump died
as for teh stock part number i do not have it

ur better off upgrading to a better pump u dont have to worry about like walbro or grannetelli, racetronics

summit part number for the pump GRN-GM722-2

writeup
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html
Old 03-13-2005, 09:08 PM

Thumbs up Re: Can someone confirm my fuel problem??

Thanks for the link

I also need the fuel sending unit. Anyone know the part number for that?? Any pics of how it looks like. I've never done this so...
Do I also need a new seal and o-ring? Because there was a pic of that in the install, but he didn't mention anything. I want to make sure so I won't burn my car down. Thanks.

Last edited by F1GT; 03-13-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:35 PM

Nevermind about the Fuel Sending unit, it's included in the whole pump assemebly. So you have to buy the pump also. $299 for the pump and sending unit(OEM) at GM Parts Direct and ~$600 if you get it from the dealer. I got quoted $384 at autozone for a Master (brand) and $403 at Pepboys for a Carter(brand).
AutoZone was out so I rushed to pepboys, never thinking that GMparts Direct would be 1/2 of retail!!! So I just took Pepboys and they are ordering it. Probably would've saved $60 if I ordered online, but dunno how long it would have taken.

Anyone ever heard of the brand Carter??
Old 03-14-2005, 07:21 PM

I just dropped the tank on my 92 Z-28. I was goping to cut the panel and I'm glad I didn't It was just as easy to drop everything and my interior is not all screwed up.
I installed a carter pump and had to re solder a wire to the float sending unit. The pump was about $55 and the filter/screen about $10.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:38 PM

Don't mean to get off subject but how the heck do you get 350+ miles to a tank? I can't get 250 miles before I am sucking fumes and my car runs about as good as I think is possible. It is a 6 speed and drive the wheels off it but dang that is a huge difference.