General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Can i make hot air blow harder?

Old 12-08-2005, 03:45 PM

Can i make hot air blow harder?

I saw a post on no heat so it reminded me. Winter months came and I have wondered if I can make the air blow harder when the heat is on. I dont think my heater core or anything is clogged as i have the correct temperature air (hot).

I don't think anything is broken because air does blow. The reason i am asking this is both my parents car's blow enough hot air fast enough to roast you and the weak heat in my car doesn't satisfy me enough in the freezing mornings.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:21 PM

Re: Can i make hot air blow harder?

You may want to take a look at the blower assy. If there is any crud (suspect there will be based on the age of your car) you may be able to clean it out and see big gains in the amount of air moved.

I have not had the same type of issue you are describing, but I have cleaned squirrel cage blowers on AC units (mainly window units out here)- scary the amount of crap that collects on there clogging things up.

Try this test as well- if you notice you have more air flow if you shift to MAX, then back to NORM (from recirc to fresh air), you may also want to take a look at the fresh air intake ducting (from the cowl) to look for leaves and such.

Just a couple no-cost suggestions FWIW....

Allen
Old 12-08-2005, 07:48 PM

do you have a lower temp thermostat in the car? that will effect how well it heats, unless you have just no air blowing out period.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:31 PM

How do i get to the blower assembly to clean it out and how do i service it. That sounds like what i want to do. Is it the black thing by passengers feet? Anything else i should clean out?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:49 PM

I switched my car to max and man it blows like hard like i like it. I ddin't even realize that setting was on there because I didn't use my a/c the entire summer. I guess that I will check the intake as well as the blower assembly.

Stock thermo, btw do i need to take apart the entire dash to get to the blower or can i just unplug it and get to it from the bottom? (Do i need to worry about airbags deploying)?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
do you have a lower temp thermostat in the car? that will effect how well it heats, unless you have just no air blowing out period.
Having a lower temp thermo will not change the temperature of the air. It will only take a little longer to reach the steady-state temperature.