General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Camaro 96. lt1

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Re: Camaro 96. lt1

Originally Posted by AtlasXVIII
I put the key to run and the psi was 43. The pressure drop quickly. I pull the vacuum compensation line of the fuel pressure regulator and didn't find any fuel. I started the engine with out connecting the line to the fuel pressure regulator and the psi was at 60 I reattach the line and the pressure drop to 41.5.
Below the time and Pressure drop speed
18 Seconds: 39psi
1 minute 38psi
2:30 minutes 31psi
3:40 minutes 30psi
6:18 minutes 26psi
8:00 minutes 22psi
16:00 minutes 20psi

The pressure seams to be holding at 20psi and drop really slowly after 20psi. 100% Sure I have leaking injectors. Need some help to get this baby's out. And check them. Please Need a step by step thanks...
PCV valve was Disconnected
Why was it disconnected? What does that have to do with the fuel problem? Is there any part on this car that isn't screwed up?

I plug it back and I did the test. I unplug the line and check for fuel and didn't find any, Fuel Pressure regulator seams to be good.] I plug it bacl but didn't plug it in the fuel pressure regulator.
Say what..... you unplugged the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator, or the PCV valve? Let's assume its the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. You "unplug" it, then you "plug it back"..... but..... "didn't plug it in the fuel pressure regulator".

Totally confusing.... what line did you "unplug", what line did you "plug it back", and if it was the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator, and you "didn't plug it in the fuel pressure regulator", where did you plug it in?

Do you understand why no one can help you.... nothing makes any sense.

I turn the car on and and The pressure was 45 and I plug it back and drop to 40.
But in the last post you indicated that when you "started the engine with out connecting the line to the fuel pressure regulator and the psi was at 60". Which is it? Again, totally confusing.

I accelerate it and the pressure got up to 42 and drop fast bacl to 40. Checking the car I found that the EGR line is disconnected "The line that comes out in top of it" I turn of the car and the pressure is dropping quickly and staying in 20. Im thinking Injectors or a O ring?
The injector O-ring has nothing to do with whether an injector leaks. If it's the top O-ring on the injector, the fuel would squirt out of the fuel rail all over the engine, not into the intake manifold. If it's the bottom O-ring on the injector, it would allow air to leak into the intake manifold, not fuel.

And now the EGR line is disconnected..... WTF??????

You get very frustrated when I point out the problems with what you post, but I'm trying to help you. You have to proceed logically, and write logically. You have to make sure all the parts of the engine are correctly hooked up, and not confuse the problem you are trying to solve by pointing out that everything is not installed properly.

I try, but it really doesn't do any good. You've been chasing the "running rich" problem for two months now, with no progress at all. 6 pages of trying to help, and no progress........

Last edited by Injuneer; 06-28-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:52 PM

The first test I did the pressure did jump to 60 psi. and then drop to the 40's. The line that I unplugged was the one that is hooked to the fuel pressure regulator. I started the engine and then Plug it back. the EGR line is disconnected and I don't know The funcion. The PCV was disconnected I plug it back again. but that's not the problem here. The problem is that I have a fuel leak. I'm trying to fix the problem. Didn't find any fuel in the Fuel pressure regulator line. I'm assuming that's not the problem. Didn't find any leak at allin the lines. Fuel Pressure dropping quick seams like Injectors leaking like you said before. I need some help because I want to check them out and I'll appreciate some help. I know you have a lot of knowledge and I give you props for that. my knowledge have been growing the last 2 months working in the car. First v8 car that I ever owned. Can you help me to check injectors? How can I know if they are leaking? I think I know how to take them out but Ill like a step by step please. I appreciate your help
Old 06-28-2015, 10:40 PM
ZZ

There's a bunch of videos on youtube. Just don't burn your car down.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:27 AM
Administrator

The fact that the pressure only drops to 20 psi may indicate nothing is leaking.

Take the 4 bolts out of the fuel rails, pull the rails up with the injectors intact. Turn the key to "run" (NOT TO "START") to pressure the system. Cycle the key a couple times to build pressure. Look at the injectors for drips.

DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE COLD. HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER NEARBY. NO SMOKING!

The question to me is, why did you see 60 psi fuel pressure at any time? The system should NEVER see 60 psi.

Last edited by Injuneer; 06-29-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:28 AM

I record a Video with a old phone so Yall guys can see what In talking about. In the video the engine was making a clicking sound. Maybe can be a Spark plug? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FF2hZRToZso&feature=youtu.be
Old 06-29-2015, 12:26 PM
ZZ

Sounds like an exhaust leak around the 1:05 mark to me.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ZZ
Sounds like an exhaust leak around the 1:05 mark to me.
thanks I found the leak is in the top of the header. Not sure how to fix that because because in the stock header there is some kinda metal tube coming outside and the last owner apparently eliminate the system. If I found the trouble of the pressure dropping. I was thinking to put new headers and change, Optic spark and spark plugs. I've been getting a horrible MPG and thats why the car is at Empty I dont like that because it can fck up Fuel pump. I'll check injectors in a bit. I'll also check sensors later in autozone. Pretty sure it will show bad O2 sensor and Ill change it there also Im going to buy oil level sensor because Is leaking. Ill try to fix the leak not sure if I can weld it because, I don't want to explode. I'll keep yall guys updated...
Old 06-29-2015, 02:51 PM

My friend is selling a 383 crank shaft (1 pc seal) que saids it can fit in a lt1 for 95$ never used before. What upgrade it requires to put it in? just wondering if I can bought it and after fixing my problem putting it in? any suggestions? 95$ seams cheap..
Old 06-29-2015, 03:37 PM

My friend is selling a 383 crank shaft (1 pc seal) que saids it can fit in a lt1 for 95$ never used before. What upgrade it requires to put it in? just wondering if I can bought it and after fixing my problem putting it in? any suggestions? 95$ seams cheap..
He sale it already
Old 06-29-2015, 03:42 PM

Well you cant just throw that crank in there. You will need new pistons for the longer stroke crank. You will also need to clearance the block.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:37 PM

I went to Autozone to check sensors and the Scanner apparently said error. Tommorrow I'll visit a electromechanic cause something fishy is happening. I check the engine in operating temperature and the Injector that is in the passenger side the first one looking from the front of the vehicle is not at the same pattern that the others, I didn't even find a pattern is just not shooting. Tommorrow Im gonna check it out before visiting the Electromechanic. The worker at autozone tell me that he can smell raw gasoline around the car. Should I check all lines. The smell seams to be coming in the back of the car. And Again I fill up the car with Regular gasoline and the car was running like a cow. Im not gonna put that never again in the car. What should I look for in the injector? and how to know if it still working?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:43 PM

I found the problem. I think that the return line was Disconnected. No really sure what line it was But I plug it back. There is a Black think below the metal pipe that you put fuel in. It haves 2 lines The line that returns was disconnected. I record a video If Yall guys don't know what Im talking about. It appears to be a filter. the think is on the Back wheel driver side. I Started the car and let it idle for about 2 minutes and I shut off the car and check for pressure and the Pressure seams to go down around 2 - 38 and then back up at 40 and stays there.

Last edited by AtlasXVIII; 06-29-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:46 PM

pressure seams to be dropping again but holding at 30! Im going crazy. I try to scan vehicle again with my Friends scanner and it saids "Error communicating with vehicle" Didn't check injectors because I don't know how to diagnose if they are bad or not.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:51 PM

Didn't check injectors because I don't know how to diagnose if they are bad or not.
Injuneer told you how.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by DelSoto
Injuneer told you how.
yeah but he told me how to verify if they were leaking. How I know if they are working properly?

Quick Reply: Camaro 96. lt1