General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

CAI and driving in rain - not advisable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 04:15 PM

CAI and driving in rain - not advisable?

I have a K&N CAI in my 1996 Z28.
The filter is not in the engine compartment, it sits below in the splash shield area right in front of the drivers front tire. All the splash shields etc are there and bolted down tight.

Is it a bad idea to drive the car in heavy rain? I have had cars before with CAI and err on the side of caution and won't drive if it is raining out.

I am planning a trip and if I get caught on the highway in rain don't want to have to pull over and wait it out.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Re: CAI and driving in rain - not advisable?

I drove my 94 for 6 years with that type of CAI (Callaway Honker = Moroso CAI), never had a problem of any kind. In the 18 years of posting here, I've never heard anyone complain of problems with all the splash shields in place. Some have even cut the splash guard and installed a "scoop" underneath to achieve some sort of "ram air" system. That might be a problem... maybe someone who has done that could comment on their results.

And you want to avoid standing water more than 12" deep.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 PM

Fred, thanks for the input.
I have been reading odd posts on other forums about hydrolock and this is my concern. I wouldn't be driving through puddles but possibly very heavy rain - only seeing taillights in front of you on the highway. I am going to be driving through the mountains and the rain can be sudden and quite heavy.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:47 PM

I once had a interesting conversation with a hotrod builder about blowers and rain.. Come to find out - The amount of water it would take to do damage to the intake is insane.... Good question though - I have a Dual CAI setup where my filters end up is right by my drive side fender.. I actually have to unbolt my bottom clip to get to them to clean them... I would definitely not drive through a "WASH" when a monsoon in arizona is going on.. But so far its been Ok- The fact that the intake goes from the bottom of the ground to nearly verticle before bending kinda eliminated any water from going completely up my intake unless it was 100% submerged