General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

A/C Issue and No Cooling Fans With No A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:38 PM

Question A/C Issue and No Cooling Fans With No A/C

Hey guys, gots me a situation. (UPDATED: Sorry guys, had the info in first, lost page and forgot to re-type it in. 1995 Camaro z28 Auto LT1, All factory vehicle w/ flowmaster catback)

Firstly is my A/C which a year or so ago suddenly went out. We replaced the pressure switch, checked the system and a few other diagnostics before being recommended by a friend to replace the A/C control unit (fan, temp and level adjuster). Replacing that the A/C worked great. Now about a year later it's up to the same old stuff. If I disconnect the battery for a few, A/C comes right back full force and does so for a while or even just a few minutes. I am thinking to replace the control unit again, but have suspicions that maybe the door flapper isn't changing right and may prematurely mess up the control unit. Is this common, any ideas on what should be done?

Next issue is my cooling fans; they only come on with the A/C in operation, no A/C = No fans. Both motors have been replaced and the sensor to tell the cooling fan when to come on as well, but still if the A/C isn't on no fans will kick on and the temperature will keep rising when at idle/very slow speeds (Here in TX it's around triple digits, easy to do in rush hour). I am thinking of wiring the cooling fan to just always come on when the car starts (I'll forget to turn a toggle switch off and end up with a no starting baby), that way if my A/C is not working, I at least have one fan which should do the job. I understand it may make a fan life not be as long, but I'd rather spend $25 and some work now and then than buy an engine or get stuck in rush hour traffic. Is this process as simple as jumping the wire that controls that fan? Does anyone know if this as well is common or have any ideas of a good way to fix (I have no problem rigging) this? Any information helps. Thanks guys.

Sean

Last edited by spop; 07-01-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:03 AM

When people don't indicate what they are driving, readers go on to a thread that does. Good answers depend on accurate information (it only helps you). People don't want to waste time suggesting things that might not apply to your particular car. People want to help, but you need to provide the info that lets them.

Last edited by shoebox; 06-30-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 AM
Administrator

And when I move it from LT1 Based Engine Tech to General 67-02 F-Body Tech, its going to be even more confusing since it lacks a "signature" with basic info about the car - year, model, engine, trans, major mods.