General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

A/C compressos bad!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 09:16 AM

A/C compressos bad!!

I bought the car used and the dealership put a "new" compressor on my car because htey said the old one was bad. The a/c worked fine for the 2 months i used it last summer. The other day I turn on the a/c to see if it works because I have a date that weekend and it dosen't. I look into it and theres no refigerant. I fill the system and the compressor knocks and has very poor suction. My question is, do I need to change the condenser along with the comp., h-block, and reciever? I heard it might be like the condensors on fords that have fins inside the tubes for better heat displacement. Is this true and do you suggest changing it?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:36 AM

if you feel like it and have the cash you can get a new condensor. But a good flush with brake cleaner and a blow gun works decent.

so what you are saying is that the dealer put a new comprssor on and that one blew up as well? sounds like they did a bad job. our comprsoors are bad about leaking front seals but not blowing up.

anytime that you have the system open I recomend chaging the reciver/drier and make sure that you install that LAST.

also if your changing teh H valve go ahead and flush the evap core as well.

don;t forget to add 9 ounces of oil to the compressor on the suction side.

also make sure that you get teh system pulled down to a vacuum for you fill it.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:06 PM

i say yank the ac and stick in a ac delete pulley.. you have natural AC - called t-tops
Old 04-26-2004, 03:16 PM

try being in the south and say that

I never really used mine in my Z when I lived in ny. I used it for the fans to cool the motor down mefore I got my manual switch. but here in louisiana where I live now... without it I would melt.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:36 PM

The T-tops are great and I use them all the time, but I gotta have and A/C for those hot dates so she dosen't get mad.

Yes, the used car dealership put on a new compressor. Notice USED dealership it prob. wasn't a new comp. prob. off a salvaged car or rebuilt.

Thanks for the tips I am a mechanic and I'll get everything flushed and changed no prob. The main question I have is, does the condensor have a kind of fins or how it was described to me, by my boss, things like nose hairs that help to displace the heat inside the condensor. If it has those inside the tubes flushing will do no good but if it dosen't than I can just flush it and be ok.

I hope someone out there knows what I'm talknig about with the "nose hairs" because I've never seen them my boss told me about them and he's been doing this a lot longer than I have. Very seldom is he wrong he just didn't know if if my car had this condensor.