General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Brake light problems....Brake light switch or sockets?

Old 12-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Brake light problems....Brake light switch or sockets?

Just noticed the problem last week when the car was being moved by a friend. I noticed that only the third brake light was operating when the brakes were applied. I asked him to press the pedal again so I could double check the lights and only the third brake light lit up again. So on the way home, I stopped by the local parts store to buy new bulbs. But when I was backing up into the parking space, I was able to see all three brake lights operating properly as well as my reverse lights in the reflection on the store window.

I thought this was weird so I left and went home. Fast forward to the next day whille I was at the shop having the rear window re-tinted and observed that driver side brake light was out while the third light and passenger light were still operating properly. I get home, check the lights again and this time its the opposite. The passenger side light was out and the third/driver side brake lights were operating properly.

All running lights work, even when the brake lights are not. I checked the turn signals and hazard lights which work properly while all three brake lights are operating. I have noticed that when the brake light stops working, whether it be the driver side or passenger side, the turn signal/hazard light for that same side does not operate either.

I have been told two different things so far and wanted to get everyone's opinion on the matter. A friend of mine with an Fbody told me the problem lies in the brake/turn light sockets. I went to check on the socket prices and was told the problem lies in the brake light switch. Any ideas on what the problem is? This is my daily driver and I can not drive around with my brake lights dancing around like they are lol.

Car is the camaro below in the sig
Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 PM

Brake switch is around 10 dollars, local auto part stores..... Sockets are around 15 dollars at the dealership....

Check the sockets for rust and dryrot..... On my 93Z, that was a problem on the passenger side......
Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 PM

I picked up 2 sockets today, they were the last 2 in town....