General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Bosch Fuel Pumps... Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 07:58 PM

Bosch Fuel Pumps... Which One?

http://www.dougrippie.com/drm/fuel_components.htm

I did a search here and found a lot of people talking about the Bosch pumps, but I couldn't tell WHICH Bosch pump!!!

I'd like to go with the 50-215 shown on the page above it's a straight bolt in, but either would be fine.

Is anyone running either of these pumps?

I'm running nearly stock hp numbers, with the possibility of 350-375hp in the next year or so.

I read up on the RaceTronix pumps and have chosen not to go with them.

Paul 'X'
Old 05-22-2004, 04:50 AM

Question Re: Bosch Fuel Pumps... Which One?

Originally posted by 350350
I read up on the RaceTronix pumps and have chosen not to go with them. Paul 'X' [/B]
Why not?

The Bosch is not a drop in and will not allow you to retain the fill bucket. They are more money and provide the same if not less performance compared to the Walbro.

The LT1 F-body cars have a pump that is inside a plastic bucket. This bucket in combination with the fuel pump in it is designed to draw fuel from the bottom of the tank via suction. This keeps the bucket full at all times so that when the tank is low on gas and you are doing some hard cornering or acceleration the pump does not run dry and start aerating the fuel. This happens as the fuel sloshes from side to side in the tank leaving the center low on fuel. This can cause detonation and possible engine damage. The bucket also allows the car to operate with lower fuel levels in the tank due to its scavenging effect. The bucket can also effect motor cranking time as the priming time is reduced under certain conditions. The return line from the fuel pressure regulator is diverted back into the bucket via a filter sock inside so that the unused fuel also helps keep the bucket full at all times. Keeping the pump constantly immersed in gas within the bucket can extend the pump’s life by not allowing it to be exposed to open air. Open air within the tank contains moisture and in time will cause the pump to rust / seize up especially if left to sit for long periods of time without the tank topped-up (i.e. winter storage). The Racetronix pump assembly is modified so that it will seal in the bucket’s rubber check-valve so that its function is retained. The Racetronix pump assembly is fitted with a factory style fuel tube not a rubber hose. This hose is important as when the fuel module is placed back in the tank it must pivot which can cause the rubber hose to kink. This fuel tube is much more resistant to the solvents in today’s gas and it will not crack, split, swell and collapse like a rubber hose. The standard Walbro kit comes with a short length of 50PSIA rated rubber hose. The Racetronix fuel module is equipped with a one-piece soldered wiring harness made from mil spec. Teflon/silver wire. This is the same type of wire used at the factory as Teflon is the most resistant to deterioration when exposed to gas. This harness has a Walbro connector at one end and GM pins at the other which fit directly inside the factory connector. Due to the age of the F-LT1 cars much of the in-tank connectors are black / corroded due to age. The Racetronix harness replaces all these questionable components. The standard Walbro kit comes with a plastic coated in-line wiring adapter. This adapter must plug into the existing questionable factory in-tank wiring thereby adding additional connections and length.

If the bucket’s function or any of the other kit’s features are not important to you then a standard GSS307 or GSS340 255L/Hr pump can be retrofit onto the F-LT1 module. The Racetronix kit is not required to get an F-LT1 system running but rather as a better option in order to retain factory functionality and maximize pump performance.

Jack
Racetronix

Last edited by Racetronix; 05-22-2004 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:10 AM

I just feel that the performance of the RaceTronix unit can be matched without all the extra wiring and such.

I think the RaceTronix is a good setup, and certainly everything in it is good insurance for increased performance.

Just IMHO, it's probably overkill for my application. I think a high performance pump that directly replaces the stock unit inside the stock bucket can easily support 500+hp, if not much more.

The 500hp+ $100 unit is a direct replacement inside the bucket. I don't foresee making 600hp any time soon.

So I was hoping to hear from someone who could tell me if the other Bosch unit on the same page was also a stock fitting unit that will also fit inside the stock bucket, and if so if anyone has had any problems with it since it is in fact a slightly different design.

Paul 'X'
Old 05-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Administrator

The Bosch "500HP" pump is part # 0580254984. This pump is also sold by Accel as their "750HP" pump, but it isn't unless you are running a carb. In addition you will need a kit to adapt it to an "in-tank" application. I run a pair of these pumps, one in the tank in the stock location, and the other outboard off a sump at the back of the stock tank. The Bosch pump costs more, but it is the pump of choice at Second Street Speed, builders of George Baxter's 1,325HP, 8-second 30th SS, and many other 9-second LT1's. I've also seen them use a bank of 4 of them in a 1,500HP tube frame Porsche twin-turbo.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:43 AM

The Bosch pump can not be used with the factory fill bucket.
Any HP pump which draws more current than the factory pump such as the Walbro or Bosch will suffer the same degraded performance when run on the thin factory wiring.

If you feel the Racetronix system with HW harness is beyond your budget at $235.00 you can always buy the pump assembly by itself for apx. $150.00.