General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Blown spark plug - threads stripped

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:48 PM

Blown spark plug - threads stripped

(Started this on the LT1 thread but thought it was a more general question so posted here)

So... blew out a spark plug last week on my '97 with 220,000+ miles on it. (About 80,000 miles on the plug). It was the far back cylinder (nearest the firewall), passenger side

Mechanic discovered the socket threads were stripped (it will screw in but won't tighten all the way) and thought a simple helicoil would do the trick but they can't get back there easily to do it and recommended another garage that specializes in engine work. A mechanic for that garage checked it out is afraid they'll have to drop the engine to repair it and that with the age/mileage of the engine they'll probably break something else doing that and don't think it's worth the effort and I'd be better off putting the money into a new engine. (But he's willing to try if I insist) I can also try the dealership which, while expensive, does good engine work.

I don't have the money for a new engine.

Thankfully I don't need the car to get around. But I'm trying to figure out if it's worthwhile trying to make one last attempt to repair the engine or maybe it's time to put her out to pasture...

Opinions anyone?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Re: Blown spark plug - threads stripped

Pull the head off. It can be removed with the engine in the car.