General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

blowing fuses to tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 AM

blowing fuses to tail lights

I need help to find out whats blowing my fuses when i turn on my lights. It only happens when i turn on my lights. I know it might be a short but I don't know where to look. And my fog lights don't work either. I haven't had the car for very long. The guy I bought it from put on different fog lights and aftermarket tail lights. It only recently started to blow fuses.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:56 AM

Shorts can be a long hard road to find

Let's see if we can make the road a little shorter.

First since we don't know what fuse you are specifically talking about, we have to take a few liberties. That is, I have to assume the fuse that is blowing is the is the #5 fuse in the I/P fuse box and it is 20 Amps.

This fuse is for the fog lamps as well as the tail lights, marker lights, license plate lights, stop lights and turn lamps.

If that assumption is wrong, the rest of what I am going to say is useless.

So the second assumption is your back up lights still work and your head lights still work. Is that correct?

Dave's first rule of circuits: When ever dealing with a large circuit like this. Always try to work in half's. That is, if you can split the circuit in half and either rule in or rule out half of the circuit. Then depending on the results, go to the half that is the problem. Then try to split that part in half. Etc.....

So what we're going to do now is split the car at the tail lights and see what happens. In the left rear inside the car under the hatch is a plastic body body panel that runs down the side from the rear seat to the back of the car. Under that is a connector you need to get to. It is gray in color and has 6 pins. With the power off unplug that connector and then with a good fuse in the #5 spot, turn the power back on and see what happens.

If the fuse blew your problem is not in the rear of the car. If the fuse did NOT blow, the problem is on the brown wire in one of the six positions of that connector on the half that goes to the rear lights. Now it is time to start probing that brown wire to ground from that connector.

Now let's assume that you disconnected that connector and the fuse still blew. Now you have to find one more connector. Turn the power off and replace the fuse. Pull the drivers side kick panel out and behind it you will see a HUGE 48 pin connector. Separate the thin gray section from the large side. You don't have to unscrew the center section and you don't have to pull the small black section out either. Just the thin gray section has to be pulled off.

Now turn power on and check to see what the fuse is doing. If the fuse is now ok, the problem is forward of that point to the fog lamps.

Let's stop here and get more information from you on what happened after you did those things.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:22 PM

Thanks for your help. It fixed for now I think some wires were touching just enough in the dash. I put in a cd player and there was a green wire that was barely touching the stereo. When I would turn on the lights the fuse would blow and the stereo would also turn off. I'm just learning this stuff. I did what you said to do and couldn't find anything. What ever it was, its not doing it now.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:23 PM

I also pulled the relay to the fog lights because they are aftermarket and the lens on one is busted. I think I can live without the fog lights.