General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Asking a question for somebody else about a HPPIII.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 01:33 AM

Question Asking a question for somebody else about a HPPIII.

Dude I know owns a C4 Vette and he just purchased a hypertech programmer. For some reason unknown to me he ended up programming the car multiple times. First time he programmed the car he chose the "don't have a shift kit function" so a shift kit was installed on his car. However the second time he programed the car he chose the same function. He thinks the program was overlaid twice and now he Vette is shifting to hard. I on the other hand think these programmers are pretty idiot proof so the programmer just over wrote the previous program. Noramlly I wouldn't care what happen to this guy's car, I'm more curious to know the answer myself.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:36 AM

Re: Asking a question for somebody else about a HPPIII.

If i understand this correctly, your saying since he programmed the car twice, he thinks the shift firmness was rasied 2X ? If this is the case then no he is wrong. The programmers have set values for firmness and if your were to reprogram multiple times, it would just overwrite the old settings. Tell him to use the "return to stock" programming option and start over.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by sabre81
If i understand this correctly, your saying since he programmed the car twice, he thinks the shift firmness was rasied 2X ? If this is the case then no he is wrong. The programmers have set values for firmness and if your were to reprogram multiple times, it would just overwrite the old settings. Tell him to use the "return to stock" programming option and start over.

I agree 100% !!!!
Old 06-18-2005, 06:00 AM

Tell him to program it a 3rd time maybe it will shift even harder
Old 06-18-2005, 08:12 AM

No offense to your buddy, but apparently they're NOT idiot-proof.

I've got 2 LT1 power programmed cars because it's the poor man's way to re-calibrate for lower gears.

Anyway, when you go thru the menus on mine, first you get the mechanical shift kit question. Answer yes, and you're NOT presented with the option to firm up shifts. If you answer no shift kit, then you're asked if you want to raise shift firmess. I'm guessing your buddy got a little button happy. You can make those 4L60Es shift so hard with just the power programmer that doing it on top of a mechanical shift kit would hurt things. My 97Z28 with 4.10s barks the tires at anything over 20% throttle. Anything over 50% throttle and it's sideways going into 2nd. It's neat.

Either way, return to stock and re-flash it. Problem should be solved.