General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Anything particular i need to worry about?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:38 PM

Anything particular i need to worry about?

Hey everyone, like the title says....I am getting ready to start my brand new built engine tomorrow and was curious if anyone had any suggestions as to anything important i may have overlooked during my install/build? I have done all of the basics of checking and adding all the necessary fluids, checked all the wiring, checked for any obstructions anywhere in the motor compartment etc....This is my very first build and to be honest i am a little afraid to start it lol. I did re check all of my main and rod cap torques at least 10 times and i think i did everything according to OE specs but i just cant help but be a little concerned since its my first build. Any suggestions or words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.....
Attached Thumbnails Anything particular i need to worry about?-11.jpg   Anything particular i need to worry about?-13.jpg  
Old 03-10-2016, 11:06 PM

Re: Anything particular i need to worry about?

Congrats.I could never attempt this.
I would fill the oil filter full of oil(I do this anyway every oil change)
I would connect the water hoses and fill the radiator.
There are many sights for starting a new engine just google them.
Wishing you good luck here.Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:57 PM

Just curious, is it recommended to remove the ECM fuse to disable the fuel pump and prime the engine first before actually starting it?
Old 03-11-2016, 02:58 PM

Fred or anyone that cares lol....I went out and removed the fuses for the injectors and cranked the motor over several times for just a few seconds at a time. After about 3 quick cranks my oil psi is showing 60lb....I am assuming this is good. Also, the motor turns very smoothly and freely. I only have long tubes on it with no exhaust, will it hurt to actually start the motor? Also, with the injector fuses in i actually primed the fuel system...If i had any leaking injectors wouldn't i notice it now or are they more likely to leak after running? The reason i ask is that i put SVO injectors in it and the fuel rail clips would not fit but the fuel rail bolts are tight and i added all new o rings. Any input is greatly appreciated....
Old 03-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Administrator

If it built pressure, continue to turn it over without plugs. Do not run it more than about 3 minutes with open headers. You don't want the PCM to go into closed loop. The backwash of air in the collectors will tell the PCM it's lean, and it will start running very rich. The injectors should not leak without the clips. I have none on my Bosch injectors, running 58 psi, and they haven't leaked in 15 years.

Limited time to respond this weekend. Away for five days at a craft beer festival.