General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Anyone seen a decent 3rd/4th gen Side exit exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 11:39 AM

Anyone seen a decent 3rd/4th gen Side exit exhaust system?

I've been thinking of doing something different for an exhaust, something kind of like the older Winston Cup / Bush series stockers do, where you exit both pipes before the axle, turned out onto the driver's side. I'm wondering if it could be done with enough ground clearance if I were to use oval tubing from the Hooker LT's, through spintech mufflers, then out. Does anyone know the thickness of a Spintech muffler?

--drb.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:06 PM

Thanks Rob,
That's pretty much what I was thinking about for my third-gen! Interesting idea, those in-collector mufflers. i'm not sure about them though ---- I think a more conventional muffler design would be more efficient, if it could be put in there. However, the rest of the system is pretty much what I was thinking about, especially the oval tubing out the side, in front of the wheel well.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:19 PM

I think anything that just hangs under the car looks like ***. IMO, the only way to make it look respectable is to put some ground effects on, and cut a hole for the tips to go through: sort of like the Roushe Mustangs. That's what I'd like to do.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by RS Dragster
I think anything that just hangs under the car looks like ***. IMO, the only way to make it look respectable is to put some ground effects on, and cut a hole for the tips to go through: sort of like the Roushe Mustangs. That's what I'd like to do.
Thats what I was going to say. Also it would look better if they were rectangular instead of round
Old 04-13-2004, 02:16 PM

it would look badass if you got some chrome style stock z28 tips to put on the side. I think gibson exhaust makes a nice big chrome square tip for trucks. Now you have me thinking about the exhaust.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:06 PM

Get a boom tube like NASCAR uses
Old 04-13-2004, 03:22 PM

That guy in Robvas link put his dumps after the cats??? If his muffler is in the collector and there was no muffler after the car, then why would he put cut-outs on?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:28 PM

Perhaps so.

However, my original idea is to not use a regular straight-cut pipe, but highly oval stainless tubing that is slash-cut and jet-hot coated in sterling. Since my car is already outfitted with silver aero effects, it might not be a big deal to cut them and fiberglass in a notch to integrate tubing into them.

And no, I probably wont be using Camaro exhaust tips - I'm going to need to create my own because of the necessary bends.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by eagleknight97
Get a boom tube like NASCAR uses
Check em out here you can also click on street and they have a side exit system with a spintech muffler and an angle cut oval tip.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:04 PM

I've wanted to do that for quite a while.

The $$ involved has kept me from it......