General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

anyone not have ac unit in at all?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 09:06 PM

anyone not have ac unit in at all?

my engine is outta my car right now and i'm debating on putting my ac back in at all cuz it never worked to begin with and i don't use it that much anyway. anyone else just not have ac unit at all in their car? or can you do this? what all will i need if i do get rid of it? is it heavy? thanks for the input.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:17 PM

By ac unit you mean the whole condensor, tubes, Compressor, etc?
If it doesnt work and your not going to fix it then I say take it out. Just keep it around in case you want to put it in again to sell the car
Old 05-08-2004, 09:25 PM

mines gone. Much easier to work on the engine with it gone.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:09 PM

yea if u dont plan to fix it why keep it in there.that compressor weights a brickload.plus it looks soo nice without all those crappy lines.you can get a ac/delete pulley from cromer or gmpartsdirect.you ll need one if u do take out the a/c.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by toby360
By ac unit you mean the whole condensor, tubes, Compressor, etc?
If it doesnt work and your not going to fix it then I say take it out. Just keep it around in case you want to put it in again to sell the car
Back in Feb. I was considering selling my car. The a/c doesn't work, I had the Chevy sales person adjust the value with a working a/c, 300$ difference. To me, not worth the money/time it would take to fix it. Besides, if it gets too hot, I just drop the top.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by scoobysnax83
mines gone. Much easier to work on the engine with it gone.
If your planning on doing all your own engine work and such.. you'll thank yourself a million times over with the AC out! Its soooo much easier to work on stuff without all the clutter in it... My vote is to take it out since your not gona fix it
Old 05-09-2004, 02:56 AM

I too have gone !A/C...1LE makes the delete pully, which as stated above is on gmpartsdirect.com

Shoebox in his website has a part # I believe.

You lose a decent chunk of weight, free of engine room, and potentially save yourself gas mileage...Forced to take those wonderful T-tops off instead!!
Old 05-09-2004, 05:26 AM

My car came A/C delete from the factory. Pretty weird as it's not a 1LE.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by roman95z
My car came A/C delete from the factory. Pretty weird as it's not a 1LE.
That is definitely rare on a 95. I know it was more common on the 93s, I've heard of a few people who have 93s without AC and also aren't 1LE cars.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:45 PM

I know someone else whos car was !AC from the factory. Didnt have foglights either and ran really strong... it also had power nothing not even windows or the remote unlock features.... might have been a customized build for the original owner?
Old 05-09-2004, 04:31 PM

This post is getting pretty interesting...I wish I could remember, but I know there is someone that uses these boards fairly frequently and in their sig they have "no power anything"...something to that affect, and lists that it has roll up windows, etc.

I have no doubt that they run strong, because for example, I worked with a kid over the summer who had a neon that purposely came with the best engine they offer but had factory weight reductions and absolutely no power anything.
Now we all now a neon of all things is a FARRR cry from an fbody. But (for sake of comparison) among other neons, this thing was a quick, strong little car. He always used the term "race ready" when I was around him...(and then proceeded to drool over my H+C V8, but thats beside the point..haha)

Just food for thought, so I am assuming Fbodys employ this same idea in some way shape or form...any more ideas? Or actual production numbers if indeed it exists?
Old 05-09-2004, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by SLeePer350
This post is getting pretty interesting...I wish I could remember, but I know there is someone that uses these boards fairly frequently and in their sig they have "no power anything"...something to that affect, and lists that it has roll up windows, etc.
That's how my car is. The only non-performance option is the cd player (if it didn't have that it would have a tape player so it doesn't add weight).
Old 05-09-2004, 08:43 PM

If you want AC that works.I just removed mine your welcome to it if ya want.Not really worth much to me if ya know what I mean(cheap) outa 94.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:56 PM

Most of the cars mentioned here with manual roll ups and !A/C and nothing power sound like 1LE factory optioned cars. With the exception to the 93s w/the A/C delete. 1LEs were very rare and ment to be factory auto X cars. They had beefer suspension and were lighter weight. Made for some really nice F-bodys.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:07 PM

Yeah,

I have posted about my unusual options here before, so that might have been the post one of you guys was refering too.

My car is rather odd in that it is not a hardtop (all 1LE's are as far as I know).

I've got A/C and foglight delete, no pwr anything, ie. roll windows and no pwr trunk release, a tape deck and base-cloth seats. Only options are T-roofs, 6 speed trans and ASR.

Also keep in mind that I do not have a aluminium DS, or the thicker swaybars, springs, or any of the other stuff one would expect on a 1LE car.

I bought the car in Toronto in July 1998 and it really didn't appear that it had been raced as it was 100% stock including CAG's, no free mods, atermarket shifter or anything. I picked it up 1 owner 52,000km, so just out of waranty. Apparently the previous owner was leasing-to own and couldn't keep up with the payments.

Anyone else with a non-1LE stripper like mine?

Quick Reply: anyone not have ac unit in at all?