General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Anyone mind helping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:00 PM

Anyone mind helping?

Whats up everyone. I have almost bone stock z28 camaro m6. I say almoat because all it has is a flowmaster muffler. Anyways, before i bought the camaro it was sitting for roughly about 5 years, yea it got turned on here and there but most of the time it was off. The car has 80xxx OG miles on it. Now ive got it running but it doesnt run as good as it should be, in its prime! Im wondering what can i do to get it back to its youth days. My goal is to get it refreshed and add a cam/head package that are affordable and will get me to atleast 350-400hp. Just to get some good power for a daily driver. Anyone want to guide me on what to do to get it freshened up and be able to maintain a decent cam/head package. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:04 AM

Re: Anyone mind helping?

First I would replace all the hoses,and all the fluids.Flush out the radiator.I had my car checked out by mechanics .You really need to know whats going on with a car sitting so long like mine was.Are showing any codes?Plugs and wires are a must do.Can you do mechanical stuff yourself?What year is your car?You can post a signature at the bottom of your post by going up to userCP up on the left of the screen.Even though you have a standard trans I think the fluid should be changed.I picked up my car last July with 39000 plus miles on it and have changed the motor oil 5 times with a new filter each time and it still has a hint of dirt in the crankcase.I would have the car checked out by a good mechanic.(Stay away from dealers)You need old school mechanics or corvette mechanics.Hope this helps.My02
Old 05-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Clean the fuel system, including a professional cleaning of the injectors.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
First I would replace all the hoses,and all the fluids.Flush out the radiator.I had my car checked out by mechanics .You really need to know whats going on with a car sitting so long like mine was.Are showing any codes?Plugs and wires are a must do.Can you do mechanical stuff yourself?What year is your car?You can post a signature at the bottom of your post by going up to userCP up on the left of the screen.Even though you have a standard trans I think the fluid should be changed.I picked up my car last July with 39000 plus miles on it and have changed the motor oil 5 times with a new filter each time and it still has a hint of dirt in the crankcase.I would have the car checked out by a good mechanic.(Stay away from dealers)You need old school mechanics or corvette mechanics.Hope this helps.My02
Hey thanks for the tip! It is a 1996 Lt1 350 Z28 Camaro. Yes it throws out a few codes, which have to do with not having the Egr Control Solenoid Sensor that conects to a vaccuum and then goes around to the TB. Ehhh, yes i can but prefer not to mess with this car as i dont want to ruin it. I rather let a shop do the work that will guarantee quality work. Do you think i should just get a new engine (Complete) or just rebuild mines?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:37 AM

A good mechanic will do a compression test (among many others) they will hook up scanners that cost thousands of dollars and find out what the car needs ect. 80000 mi on these cars is pretty low.i've seen some of these cars have over 200,000 mi. on them.(unless they are blown).I traded in my 93 firebird formula back in 2004 and it had 130,000 mi on it.It still had the original opti,waterpump replaced at 80.000mi.I beat the car to death but it was a good reliable car.Oil was leaking from everywhere so I dumped it.But it still kicked butt.If the motor is sound, then just replace all the hoses,wires ect.Hope this helps.(200,000 mile cars were here from previous posts from a long time ago in a land far far away)Try to hook up with a corvette group in your area and find a good mechanic.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by alex5366
....... I rather let a shop do the work that will guarantee quality work....
Good luck finding that...... these cars mystify the average mechanic. They just are not familiar with things like the reverse flow cooling system, the Optispark distributor/ignition system, and a few other unique features.

One thing you need to do is add a "Signature" with basic info about your car..... year, model, engine, trans and your single mod. Each year of the LT1 has differences, and we need to know the year of the car to give you accurate help.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/
Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 PM

A good mechanic will do a compression test (among many others) they will hook up scanners that cost thousands of dollars and find out what the car needs ect. 80000 mi on these cars is pretty low.i've seen some of these cars have over 200,000 mi. on them.(unless they are blown).I traded in my 93 firebird formula back in 2004 and it had 130,000 mi on it.It still had the original opti,waterpump replaced at 80.000mi.I beat the car to death but it was a good reliable car.Oil was leaking from everywhere so I dumped it.But it still kicked butt.If the motor is sound, then just replace all the hoses,wires ect.Hope this helps.(200,000 mile cars were here from previous posts from a long time ago in a land far far away)Try to hook up with a corvette group in your area and find a good mechanic.
Thanks for the info! How bad was your bird leaking oil? So ive been thinking, buying a new motor core or crate OEM is gonna cost alot of money. So, im thinking on rebuildimg my motor that has 80xxx. Now heres the catch, im not sure if when i take it to get rebuilt what do i say? Do i just say i want to rebuild the engine to stay stock? I just honestly want it freshened up back to its prime, and capable of handling a decent mild cam maybe a CC306 or CC503 and some better heads to add some more power, maybe get a new itake manifold or just rebuild mines? So im really not sure on what to ask someone on what to do.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Good luck finding that...... these cars mystify the average mechanic. They just are not familiar with things like the reverse flow cooling system, the Optispark distributor/ignition system, and a few other unique features.

One thing you need to do is add a "Signature" with basic info about your car..... year, model, engine, trans and your single mod. Each year of the LT1 has differences, and we need to know the year of the car to give you accurate help.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/
Do you think people who specializes in LS1 engines can work on an LT1? And thanks for the info, i have updated my signature and hopefully ot appears. If it doesnt, i have a 1996 z28 camaro LT1 350 with a t56 manual transmission. The only mod to it, is the muffler and hooker tips.
So ive been thinking, buying a new motor core or crate OEM is gonna cost alot of money. So, im thinking on rebuilding my motor that has 80xxx. Now heres the catch, im not sure if when i take it to get rebuilt what do i say? Do i just say i want to rebuild the engine to stay stock? I just honestly want it freshened up back to its prime, and capable of handling a decent mild cam maybe a CC306 or CC503 and some better heads to add some more power, maybe get a new itake manifold or just rebuild mines? So im really not sure on what to ask someone on what to do.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:06 PM

Money buys speed.It's a simple as that.Getting the engine to breath better is a good start.Cold air intake system is a great place to start.But I would get the car checked out(engine) so you know where you stand.Hopefully you have a sound engine.You can't just throw a cam in there without some kinda better rockers on the heads(it's a real science here).But if I did this I would want the heads ported maybe a bigger throttle body,maybe headers.After all this you must have a computer tune.I think with ported heads,better rockers,cold intake and throttle body bypass you may see 320zzzz or so.Drive the car around and have fun with it now.You can still do the cam thing later.Soon I'm going with the head porting and ca. legal headers.but money is the issue now with me.Hope this helps.Please get the car checked out first.my02.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:50 PM

Money buys speed.It's a simple as that.Getting the engine to breath better is a good start.Cold air intake system is a great place to start.But I would get the car checked out(engine) so you know where you stand.Hopefully you have a sound engine.You can't just throw a cam in there without some kinda better rockers on the heads(it's a real science here).But if I did this I would want the heads ported maybe a bigger throttle body,maybe headers.After all this you must have a computer tune.I think with ported heads,better rockers,cold intake and throttle body bypass you may see 320zzzz or so.Drive the car around and have fun with it now.You can still do the cam thing later.Soon I'm going with the head porting and ca. legal headers.but money is the issue now with me.Hope this helps.Please get the car checked out first.my02.
Thanks for the info! Yea i been looking into an slp cold intake! What size throttle body would you say? And as of portimg heads, is there a specific size or just tell the machine shop to port them for me? Should i consider rebuilding the heads? Would they be able to take a cam? You mentioned CA legal headers, so your somewhere near me? Im in Los Angeles, do you know any good rebuilding, machine, mechanic shops to help check my engine?
Old 05-07-2015, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Keep trying on the "Signature".... I don't see it. Are you working from a phone? Some apps don't allow your signature to show up. When I'm on my phone, I opt for "view full site".

And if you are in California, it will help to add your location to your profile. CA location severely limits the things you can change on your car. People need to know that to give you realistic responses to questions regarding modifications.