General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

alternator removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:55 PM

alternator removal

i finally decided to take out the alternator, and either fix it myself, or get a new one. well, got stuck at step one. i cant get the damn thing out. theres a harness that plugs into the top, and i cant get it to pop out. cant reach it from the top, and from the bottom, i can touch it with one finger. yes, i have big hands, but really? am i missing something? most people say this is an easy job.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Re: alternator removal

Rv93,

Hmm..there should be an alternator rear inner brace somewhere around the alternator. Did you remove that? I assume that you already removed the accessory drive belt and transmission oil cooler clips, as this is part of the procedure.

Are you able to access any of the bolts? For reference, here is a diagram illustrating the alternator and its encompassing parts:

*diagram courtesy of gmpartsgiant.com; all rights reserved
Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 PM

judging by the alternator in that diagram, it seems to be off of an LT1. I have an ls1. and there are no transmission cooler lines are far as im aware, as i have a manual transmission. I can access the two front bolts with ease. i might be able to get the back one off as well, but im not there yet. theres a plug on top of the alternator that has to come off first, but i cant reach it.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:45 AM

That diagram is clearly an LS1.

LT1 doesnt have valve covers liek that nor is the alternator mounted on the left side.

Manual trans will not have cooler lines.....thats common sense. Auto only.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:04 AM

thats true, but the alternator itself looks like the one on the lt1
Old 10-05-2011, 12:31 PM
jmd

Maybe you should replace yours with one from an LT1, reclocked so the harness can be disconnected from the bottom.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Unhappy I know what you are talking about, but ...

Originally Posted by rv93
i finally decided to take out the alternator, and either fix it myself, or get a new one. well, got stuck at step one. i cant get the damn thing out. theres a harness that plugs into the top, and i cant get it to pop out. cant reach it from the top, and from the bottom, i can touch it with one finger. yes, i have big hands, but really? am i missing something? most people say this is an easy job.
I wound up breaking that tiny little wire when I lowered the alterantor down.

Fortunately, at the time I did this our fab people were in the same building where I work, so I was able to have them install an extra length of wire that on that conenctor, and I assume I crimped it to the old - it has been too long.

At any rate, I now have a really really long feed wire that is wrapped up and taped onto the fuel rail, and if I ever drop the alernator again I will have enough room to lower the feed wire along w/ the alternator.

Not sure how to do it w/ the OEM length, however - maybe when the alternator comes free of the mount it can be acessed w/o breaking the thing ?

Bound to be someone here that can answer that.

Good Luck !

Britt
Old 10-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Found a pic, but it ain't great.

From the Auto Zone site :

Britt
Old 10-14-2011, 12:01 AM

yeah, ive heard of people braking the wire. i can tough the connector with one finger, no more. if i try for an hour, i might be able to get it out...curse you gm!!