General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Air conditioning repair help what parts??

Old 07-14-2010, 07:27 PM

Exclamation Air conditioning repair help what parts??

Ok my compressor is gone it started smoking and it making a noise so i'm pretty sure the bearing are on there way out too. Now the car is 16 years old, and im not looking to pay someone 2grand to fix it since that about half the value of the car. I don't need a brand new ac that will run for years. At max I will be driving this car for another year. It's summer here in Florida and I need a/c I make long drive to school and work. The system has had a leak and I have refilled it twice which usually last about 8month to a year before it leaks out well this time I went to jump the compressor back on to refill and it clicked and started smoking and I knew it was trashed.

So I was thinking about replacing the parts my self what parts should I replace. So far I have the compressor, expansion valve, drier, and the hoses that connect to the drier especially the one with the low port side pressure cause my needle now is kinda messed up, and I think that's where it leaks from. I prob will have a shop pump all the moisture out of the new system and fill it after I am done. Are there any other parts you guys would recommend that be change? There is also a part number 15-5438 ac delco that does not show a picture of what it is so I am not sure if I need this part for anything or not it looks to be some sort of fitting . Thanks for any help
Old 07-17-2010, 10:58 PM

Well I just decided to order the parts I thought I need after some research. I do have two more questions though that I could not really find a straight answer for how much oil PAG 150 do I need to add to the new compressor, and how much R134a with a system that is completely empty hold. Does the outside ambient temperature effect how much a empty system will hold or is it always the same because it is empty. I did find a number that said 32oz. of R134 is this right?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Getting ready to this in the next couple days....really nobody knows? Any help or somewhere else that has info to read would be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:37 PM

The amount of R134 is identified on the sticker under the hood. I think the 32oz you mentioned is it. Not sure on the amount of oil. Most compressors come with some oil in them so you only need to add a little bit more for the rest of the system. Did you check the contaminents on the orifice (expansion valve)? If you see black residue, the bag inside the dryer broke. Silver means the bearing (bushing?) began to disintegrate in side the compressor. If it was really dirty, you may need to flush the rest of the system before installing new parts.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the reply already did the job though and my Air blows nice and cold again. I replaced all the O rings, compressor, expansion valve, hoses, and the dryer/accumulator. did it all for around $400 borrowed the manifold gauges and vacuum pump from auto zone.