General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

ac compressor fun

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 09:00 PM

ac compressor fun

ok. my ac does not work. exactly a year ago the bearing for the pulley locked up. i had my friends shop replace the bearing. the lock up took out the compressor clutch thing. basically, today it was liek 117 and i want ac again. so right now i am buying a used compressor. what else should i replace, and how hard is this install. as for my past mechanical experience, i have done cam swaps and what not, i also have the gm service manuals. i am just trying to figure out if its as easy (or hard) as replacing the compressor, or if there is other stuff involved as i know absolutely nothing about air conditioning. and it did work before the bearing locked up if that helps.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:35 AM

Re: ac compressor fun

You should check a few things before you go wasting time and money. If the charge is low, the pressure switch will cut off the system. That can be checked by hand or with a scanner.

If the 2 connectors between the PCM and the compressor have a bad pin say not making contact, that can do it also.

I suggest checking for the presence of 12 volts at the compressor connector. If it's there, have the pressures checked by your shop. While there, if you decide you will change out the compressor, have them evacuate it while it's hooked up.

When you remove the compressor, change the filter dryer at the same time and button up the system quickly. I highly recommend changing the belt and the tensioner if they haven't been done in while. Be sure to check the idler pulley for bearing growl while you're there

Once they pull a vacuum on it, they should be able to see a leak. However, if it turns out the charge is low, have them use the electronic sniffer to hunt for any possible leaks before they evacuate the system.

BTW the price of 134 has skyrocketed the last year to about triple what it used to be. Now we are going to be required to have a license to handle that too.

Man I thought I had it bad, life in AZ in the summer with no AC must suck big time.

Dave
Old 07-13-2005, 11:33 AM

Where are the pressure switch and the compressor connector that you mentioned? How would you check the pressure switch?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:31 PM

the shop told me i need to change the compressor. my locked up bearing took out the clutch and the comrpessor with it. i just need to change comrpessor. do i really ahve to change drier. these are things i am not sure of, that and how hard/long is it
Old 07-18-2005, 07:09 PM

to the top please.

that and do i need to remove headers to remove compressor? if so i will say yay! then i can put on long tubes