General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

AC blowing warm air caused by a bad PCM??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 12:26 PM

AC blowing warm air caused by a bad PCM??

i just spent $75 for AC and electrical diagnose. they told me that the cause of my AC blowing warm air, is because my chip is going bad, i told them, i dont have any chips . then, they tried to explain that my ECM is fried. is this true?? can a fried pcm or ecm cause this?? my car has been running great, not one problem. i would suspect that a bad ECM or PCM would make my car run like crap, or might not even run at all. any advice or information on this before i take this matter somewhere else. i dont want to spend another dime for a useless diagnose again. thanks guys

PS: this is my bad month. money coming out for nothing (sorry i just need to relieve the pressure )
Old 08-13-2003, 12:30 PM

Try some freon bud.get it tested for leak's.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by 94ZGRNMCHN
Try some freon bud.get it tested for leak's.
i was gonna tested for leaks. they, did not get that far yet, when they conclude that it's my PCM causing my condenser or something not working. i'm now
Old 08-13-2003, 12:58 PM

las ttime my car did this, it was caused by my freon was out. Now it is doing it again 4 yrs later. How often do you have to add freon to a car?
Old 08-13-2003, 03:58 PM

Get a A/C do-it-yourself kit at Walmart for $25. Be sure to add to low pressure valve.

My A/C was blowing warm, I know it has a leak not worth fixing, I added freon and it will be fine for the rest of the summer. It's ice cold now.

Next summer I'll add another can for $10.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:44 PM

are you guys sure that this is caused by the freon?? because the AC guys that checked my car today said that the kompressor or the condensor is not working caused by a bad PCM.

i'm not sure if they know what they are doing, so i just paid $75 and took off.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:57 PM

I don't claim to know it all... but I suggest you have someone put dye in your A/C system and test for leaks. Then you'll know one way or the other.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:00 PM

My A/C wasnt working either. Car had been sitting 3 years.Put freon in but had to jump compressor relay on to get it to take.After up to pressure still not kicking in on its own but getting very cold when jumped on .Next day started checking wiring from ecu. Found no sig to relay out of ecu. wire ok to relay coil. Hooked back up ,just about to go to dealer and started to work.I ve read around and output from ecu to relay has gone bad before.Maybe ECU connection, try cleaning.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:00 PM

One last comment, compressor will stop working if coolant level is too low.

When I was doing a prepurchase inspection, the compressor did not kick on. However, when the mechanic added freon - it worked!

I was told they could fix the leak (w/o much of a warranty) but most likely the leak would come back w/in a year or so.

Therefore, I choose to add freon when I need it. The kit is safe and simple.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:05 PM

The PCM turns the compressor on and off while you're using the A/C. If it's not kicking on, then that may be caused by the PCM. But if your PCM is bad, I would think it would affect more than just the A/C.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by Mikey97Z
The PCM turns the compressor on and off while you're using the A/C. If it's not kicking on, then that may be caused by the PCM. But if your PCM is bad, I would think it would affect more than just the A/C.
that's the thing though. my car is running like a charm. only the AC is not not blowing any cold air. i will get it tested in a better shop than the last one. i'm sure my PCM is not going bad. :knock on wood:

Originally posted by RKB4C
One last comment, compressor will stop working if coolant level is too low.

When I was doing a prepurchase inspection, the compressor did not kick on. However, when the mechanic added freon - it worked!

I was told they could fix the leak (w/o much of a warranty) but most likely the leak would come back w/in a year or so.

Therefore, I choose to add freon when I need it. The kit is safe and simple.
i have to try to add freon in it. hopefully it will work.....hopefully

Last edited by TMDZ28; 08-15-2003 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:09 AM

anyone else have any more opinions/advise for this matter??
Old 08-15-2003, 03:00 AM

It is possible that the ECM is causing the havoc. I dont know the full details because i wasnt present when the car was being worked on, BUT.....

My dads 383 imp SS air stopped working one day. System was fully charged, and yet it would only blow hot air. I had no idea what was going on, so i suggested he take it to my buddy. He took it out to lt1 dave (lt1 guru and the buddy of mine) who originally did the programming on the car. Even though the program hadnt been recently touched, there was something corrupt within the program allowing the AC to not work properly. He took a totally new BIN file (didnt d/l the program in the car because then it would still be corrupted) and reflashed the ecm. Presto, ac worked. As i said, i wasnt there for explanation, but thats what i heard from my father.

AS for your car, it cant hurt to grab a different BIN file from the net, modify it to your car, and re-flash. See what happens then...
Old 08-15-2003, 07:18 AM

where do you get another Bin file? My a/c is doing the same thing. I checked into it and I do not have any signal coming out f pcm.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:09 AM

When I bought my 94 Z, my A/C wasn't working either. It turns out I had a four-fold problem. #1, I was out of freon. #2, my pressure switch was bad. (Verified by jumping the pressure switch and hearing 'click click' as the compressor turned on and the engine revved up, turning the fans on). #3, I had a leak in my blowoff valve, which was replaced at around $15 or so. #4, and this is the most important part, because I was low on R134, the PCM had "blocked out" my A/C compressor. All I did was disconnect the negative battery cable for about 5 seconds and reconnect it, it reset my PCM and my A/C blew ice cold. Chances are, you have a leak, you're out of freon, and the computer won't allow your A/C to kick on because it's trying to save your compressor. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: AC blowing warm air caused by a bad PCM??