General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

About to buy a Z28 B4C Special Pursuit package :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 12:14 AM

Re: About to buy a Z28 B4C Special Pursuit package :)

Originally Posted by eeg3
Hedzilla, you drive a 1996 v6... I don't know where you get off ragging on this guys car. Way to rice up a mom and pop v6 camaro with boltons, though.

The B4C camaro has better stock suspension than a typical z28. But, it's nothing better or worse than any other typical z28. Referring to others post's, I don't know any cops that slam on the breaks or floor it whereever they go; although i'm sure most teenagers that have had their hands on z28s do that.

Quit trying to rain on this guy's fun. It's a fun talking piece and fun to drive an ex-cop car, it gives the car character. None of the people that have been asses to this guy have cars that are anything special, so get off your high horses.
hey dickwad, yea, we are not tryin to RAIN on this guys FUN. seriously, you are a total idiot. he asked about the B4C, and we told him what it was. we suggested he dont buy it because its been beat on. if YOU want to buy a piece of **** car that had the **** kicked out of it, go for it. you also have 8 posts, so you have absoultely NO right to come on here and degrade peoples cars. sure, i got a v6. is it riced out? nope. you wanna know what appearance mods i have? ****in none. not even tint. i got an SS hood, thats about it. i even put 3800 badges on it so everyone knew it WASNT a v8.

this car is my hobby. i pay for my own college of which i have one year left. my main hobby is bodybuilding, and most of my money goes to that. im sure if we met in person, you would change your ******* tone.

dick.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:47 AM

The best laugh of the week so far . I usually check in here every few days to see what is going on and this thread sorta blossomed over night.

Yeah, it is my car and I am trying to unload it on my friend DT. Here is the complete history so far of the refurb on the car on the internet for all to see http://www.texasinterceptors.com/1996_camaro_b4c.htm . As you can readily see, I am trying to keep it all well hidden and undercover so I can take advantage of some poor schmuck and unload a ragged out, POS on him.

The City of Ft Worth screwed up when they got rid of this car for what they thought was a bad tranny. Their loss- my gain. We decided in March to prepare this car for Open Road Racing. For those of you who do NOT know what this is, check here http://www.bborr.com. Serious business when you are talking about running 120-130 mph for over 100 miles. Alot different from going from a roll on the local interstate I would say. With this goal in mind, we have been refurbing the car over the past few months. Every car I own has a price on it and Domino Tree contacted me about the purchase. BTW, I don't have *any* bargain vehicles.

So many of you ask what is the advantage of owning a B4C? Well, for one thing, it is more unique ( 1 of 228 for 1996), it has a history for which I have TOTAL and COMPLETE documentation, it is not badged as a Z28 even though it is one, some kid in the parking space at his apartment or his mama's driveway has not butchered it and with a single seat and 6 pt roll bar, it is perfectly suited for ORR. The pictures on the web site pretty much tell the story. Make sure you look at all 3 pages.

Keep this in mind, while these cars were in service and until the LAST DAY they saw service; their job was to go very,very fast every day and they were maintained as such. If they had a flat, the tire was replaced - not repaired. They received the highest level of maintenance because of the job they did. Misinformation on these cars abounds and I take no offense to all the utter BS contained in this thread. Happens all the time.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bert02SS
Sounds like the car has been under water . . .

Good lord,

That is a wild supposition.... If the car was an insurance total with a salvage title, why would I disclose all the details of the refurb to a prospective buyer?

I actually enjoy the "myth of the B4C". Most people have not a clue. This is the third one I have owned and I bet I will buy more--everybody thinking they are ragged out POS' just keeps the price down for me to buy them.

Last edited by AndyJ; 07-16-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hedzilla
if YOU want to buy a piece of **** car that had the **** kicked out of it, go for it.
Yeah, a car that was upkept by the police at an amazing rate has been "**** kicked," way to prove your ignorance. These cars got AMAZING service. They were used for performance, so they were upkept to keep them safe and not broken. Fool.

you also have 8 posts, so you have absoultely NO right to come on here and degrade peoples cars. sure, i got a v6. [...] i got an SS hood, thats about it.
You put a SS hood on a v6. That's rice. That's the same as putting "SPYDER" logos on a hard top Eclipse.

im sure if we met in person, you would change your ******* tone. dick.
Yeah, I bet...

Look at AndyJ's pics of the actual car. It looks pretty sweet to me, and his story clears up all the ASSumptions you guys made.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:02 AM

You 2 need some moeny to get a room?

eeg, people are cautioning the guy, there are people that try and screw others over, so u need to be careful and having to replace carpet and other things without knowing the story could sound liek water damage issues.

Stop offending the chinese with ur lack luster use of the rice word.

And Hedz, keep it in ur pants lol No one is gonna refferee a pissing contest here.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:00 AM

Here ya go, advice from somebody who's bought a used cop car. (check sig)

Would I do it again? Definitely maybe. In my caprice's case, it's mechanically different enough from a civilian version that I feel it's worth it. A Z28, I'm not so sure it's different enough to justify the risk. A 30K reman engine is a big plus, because of the extended idling that most cop cars endure. And honestly, the fact it's had an engine swap is the least of your worries. My caprice's had an extremely high failure rate for little stuff. Window switches, power steering pump, dash cluster, axle bearings, etc, etc, etc. Mine was a fully unmarked unit that led an apparently easy life.

Some departments do great maintenance, some don't. My dad was our city engineer, and I spent many hours hanging out in the city maintenance shop cause it was only 2 blocks from home. They did some good work, they did some hack work. I wouldn't put any stock in the wonderful fleet maintenance that some talk about.

IMO, sounds like it would be a great "toy". Not sure of your situation, but if you're looking for a trouble free driver (like for college or something), I'd pass on police vehicles. But if you want a project/toy, and you don't mind spending $100 a month fixing stuff yourself, then it could work out.

I'd step back and think about it this way.
Option 1- buy the cop camaro, and spend time on inevitable repairs
Option 2- buy a civilian Z28, and spend time on modifications.

Which is best for you? Only you know. Good luck either way

Oh- almost forgot- you know those imaginary stab proof seats the dealer is referencing to mock people? Check your 9C1 caprice inventory. Mine has an extra steel plate in the backs of the front seats that the civilian versions don't. The intent is to prevent puncture injuries coming from the backseat. If you're going to be an expert, please get it right.

Last edited by Deckstripes; 07-16-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by eeg3
Quit trying to rain on this guy's fun. It's a fun talking piece and fun to drive an ex-cop car, it gives the car character. None of the people that have been asses to this guy have cars that are anything special, so get off your high horses.
Let see.. I have a 35th aniversary edition Z28.. Last year it was made.. Its a factory stripper as you can see and came with the factory LS6 block..
http://www.pizzaplacetx.com/img/z28sticker.jpg

so.. ya.. I got something.. is it special? To me. .and thats all that matters..

Around here.. In another part of Texas, not unlike Dallas (I used to live in Dallas) the police cars and more often the not the State Troopers are the ones with the B4C cars, get to see a lot of dead stop to pursuit speed then back to a stop.. If a car on a highway is traveling at over the speed limit, enough to get pulled over for, they have to be travelling over 75mph. So, if they did not see the police car as many dont, they would maintain speed. The officer would have to accelerate to over 75mph just to keep the said car from pulling away from him.. so thats at least 6-7 seconds of hard accelleration and then he has to go over the speed of the other car to begin to catch him, so thats another 4-6 seconds on the gas... then comes the braking..

Repeat.. DAILY..

Its like a car that just spent its life at the dragstrip..

I wouldnt be thinking its a good deal but I have already had my car for modding and am done.. LT1 is great because its easy to work on but I didnt like the fact that I had to work on it when I wasnt in the mood. (thats why my LS1 has 0 mods)

So there you have it.. Its nice to see the owner of the car coming in and helping to shed light on the car but still, the fact remains... the car has been beat on in the past.. It may turn out to be an awesome car.. but then again it may not.. as always the choice is yours and we just state what we feel and know as you have asked.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:47 AM

Why would a car for ORR have a full system in it?
Why was the engine replaced?
Why are the springs mismatched?
Why was the wiring all chopped apart?
Why was the PCM bad? Water damage?
Why are the rear panals in the trunk hacked up?

I know firsthand the care police cars get with department mechanics.........ON COMMON FAILING THINGS AND EXTERNALLY! Its not like they go "oh, you were in a pursuit, we are gonna change the whole rotating assembly for you, then youll be back in service." They will change tires, shocks, oil, brakes, etc, but NOTHING mechanical until it goes wrong!

You know what, i dont even give a ****. We are all just trying to open this kid's eyes about the possible, and i emphasise POSSIBLE, downsides to owning a B4C.

Everyone has an opinion.

If he likes the car, good luck with it.

Last edited by Hedzilla; 07-16-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:53 AM

oh, and eeg, putting an SS hood on my car does NOT make it 'rice' as you say. Putting a SS hood, SS wing, SS build plaque inside, and SS emblims and SS rims would make it 'rice'.

I know its a V6. I dont hide it.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:43 AM

Why would a car for ORR have a full system in it?
Why was the engine replaced?
Why are the springs mismatched?
Why was the PCM bad? Water damage?
Why are the rear panals in the trunk hacked up?
Good replies one and all guys. Let me address the direct questions above.

1.) The car came with the roll bar. The ORR rules state " A Roll Over Bar (Roll Bar) is mandatory for open vehicles in Grand Touring and the Grand Sport Division, and recommended in Street Rod, Touring and all Grand Touring vehicles."

2.) The engine was replaced, not rebuilt at 103k miles. The records do not indicate the reason for the replacement. A new engine with only 30k miles is a good thing regardless of the reason.

3.) New OEM springs were placed on the front suspension. Stiffer 1LE springs for the rear. Cured some wheel hop problems nicely.

4.) When all the police equipment is removed, some departments do a great job - some don't. In this case, high beam headlights were cut (wig-wags), foglights cut and missing (red/blue lights) , horn relay cut and some additional under dash issues. The B4C's fair quite badly in this respect because the interior cabin is much smaller than a 4 door sedan. Shoe horning in all the necessary lights, radios, computers etc invariably results in the interior getting hacked up quite a bit.

5.) The PCM failed - who knows why? I have had the PCM/ECM fail on other GM and Ford products as well so I do not see that as a cause for concern. The current PCM has been programmed by Bryan Herter and at www.pcmforless.com.

6)I do not know why the rear panels are hacked up-- they went out with the trash several weeks ago. Replacement interior parts are onhand for the refurb.

On the subject of stab proof seats as it relates to my sig, the fact that some 9C1 Caprices came with stab proof seats has now trasformed into the stab proof seat urban myth to encompass ALL cop cars. I currently own 2 9C1s. A 1994 and a 1995. One has stab proof buckets, the other with the bench seat does not.

This thread is going a long way toward educating the masses on the B4c --keep it up.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:01 PM

I'd guess it has something to do with the 100 lbs of electronics they bolt in. The holes in the rear panels are not suprising given that they bolt in entire racks of gear and lights. Maybe you'll get lucky. When chasing broken turn signals, my car barfed an 8 light strobe unit from under the carpet Too tempting to put back.

Actually, given the mileage of the car, and the probable number of hours of operation (not miles), it's not suprising at all that it's having PCM or engine failure. When a engine swap has 30K on it, you can be pretty certain it was done correctly, or it'd have failed by now. Underwater??? Doubtful.

The devil's in the details. Like the light sockets were probably involved in strobe operation, and might fail sooner. Control arm bushings might be on their last legs. Wiper or door linkages might be loose. Turn signal switches. There are many things that don't fail until 250K civilian, but will appear at 150K on a service vehicle due to run time. If you're like me and enjoy those kind of tinkering projects, not such a big deal.

Also heard some insurance companies and banks won't touch a car with a roll bar?????? It is a nice looking car. Those gran sport hash marks and B4C badges gotta go though. Trying too hard.

Life on a dragstrip pretty much describes my commuting habits, so that can happen with a civilian Z28. But civilians don't idle for 8 hours a day. My county sherriff friend doesn't shut his cars off, claims the computer & communication system draws enough that 30 minutes causes slow cranking, and they're not allowed to turn communications off on-duty.

It all depends on what you wanna do with it. Might be perfect, might be a nightmare.

Last edited by Deckstripes; 07-16-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Deckstripes
Also heard some insurance companies and banks won't touch a car with a roll bar?????? It is a nice looking car. Those gran sport hash marks and B4C badges gotta go though. Trying too hard.
Good truthful post ---been there and done that many times over. The car is insured at Grundy's.

You really think the graphics are over the top? In white, the car is really plain jane.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:25 PM

I'd guess it has something to do with the 100 lbs of electronics they bolt in. The holes in the rear panels are not suprising given that they bolt in entire racks of gear and lights. Maybe you'll get lucky. When chasing broken turn signals, my car barfed an 8 light strobe unit from under the carpet Too tempting to put back.
Yeah, no doubt.

Old 07-16-2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by AndyJ
On the subject of stab proof seats as it relates to my sig, the fact that some 9C1 Caprices came with stab proof seats has now trasformed into the stab proof seat urban myth to encompass ALL cop cars. I currently own 2 9C1s. A 1994 and a 1995. One has stab proof buckets, the other with the bench seat does not.

This thread is going a long way toward educating the masses on the B4c --keep it up.
Alright, I'll give ya that one. Smart-@ss-ness retracted My bench seat 94 has em, is your bench seat car older? Mine has the full cloth interior with armrest.
And in defense of cop cars, after $3K of repair and $1k mods on my $3K 9C1- I LOVE IT. It is a mild mannered, 150 mph, 6 passenger, heavy duty, air conditioned, comfortable, bruiser of a bad-*** road machine. The trunk can fit 3 powerglides, or a complete set of wheels and tires. It eats potholes at 80 mph. If I wanna harass a sports car, I can. Pushbar, black steel rims, dark windows, burgundy metallic. It's like an impala SS, only you use the THROTTLE when aiming for curbs.

The graphics are all personal taste. I really don't dig the hash marks on vettes either. My white Z28 has factory orange deckstrips, so I think you can imagine what I'd recommend . Some people think mine are gaudy. Personal taste.

I know a guy with a 40K black B4C that was back-doored to a civilian new and has never been a police car. It's now a pampered showcar with ford interceptor badges. I wanna smack him.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:03 PM

And in defense of cop cars, after $3K of repair and $1k mods on my $3K 9C1- I LOVE IT. It is a mild mannered, 150 mph, 6 passenger, heavy duty, air conditioned, comfortable, bruiser of a bad-*** road machine. The trunk can fit 3 powerglides, or a complete set of wheels and tires. It eats potholes at 80 mph. If I wanna harass a sports car, I can. Pushbar, black steel rims, dark windows, burgundy metallic. It's like an impala SS, only you use the THROTTLE when aiming for curbs.
My 95 9C1 is my personal fave. A garage queen with 95k that sneaks out late at night or gets the nod for the long road trips, it is pure joy to drive. Lowered 2", Cragar black steelies, Ram Air CAI, Herter tune, Dynomax Super Turbos, Pioneer Head unit, Sirius Satellite and all done up in Black Sapphire Metallic paint. It is definitely not a grandpa car.

My 94 with the bench seat is also Dark Cherry metallic like yours with ruby red interior. I will smack the back of those seats to double check.

Quick Reply: About to buy a Z28 B4C Special Pursuit package :)