General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

About to buy a Z28 B4C Special Pursuit package :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 10:16 PM

About to buy a Z28 B4C Special Pursuit package :)

Comes with a remanufactured Jasper LT1 with under 30k on it, it has just been repainted white, new Z rated race tires, full 6 point rollbar, Texas Rumbler cat back exhaust - AWESOME sound, lowered 2 inches, trans coooler, engine cooler and power steering cooler, new water pump, new front and rear main engine seals, new PCM and PCM reprogrammed for 180 mph plus along with an SLP cold air induction. New carpet, full dynomat sound deadening, Pioneer Head unit, 800W amp and dual 10" subwoofers, also included are over 200 pages of service records.

Two questions:
Anything I should know about these? Anything I should do after getting it (besides removing about 1cm of tread on the rear tires)?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:28 PM

Re: About to buy a Z28 B4C Special Pursuit package :)

hmmm Z rated race tires? Never heard of street tires being called race tires..

I wouldnt want a car that has a new engine.. Had one.. and it didnt do so well..

B4C is not a more powerful car.. It actually is more of a heavier car..

Not sure if a 6pt cage passes tech at the tracks.. but it should stiffen the car.

I would be leary about this and would suggest looking at an LS1 car..
Old 07-14-2005, 11:17 PM

Second that, as far as the "police package"...from what ive read on here in multiple threads it consists of nothing more than a larger alternator to accomodate the code 3's, radios, radar, etc. And more than likely its been somewhat abused and beat on. But, in the cars defense, they do get the best care in mechanics and have excellent scheduled maitenance taht is always carried out.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by 99andMine
Second that, as far as the "police package"...from what ive read on here in multiple threads it consists of nothing more than a larger alternator ...
Not even that...They just made a big deal about putting in the specs that it had a 140 amp alternator. All stock Z28's after 1993 had that.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:57 PM

Well the guy I'm buying it from has put a lot of time and money into this car repairing and replacing what needed to be, and has put a number of miles on it himself, and has turned it from a beat up old car into a very clean respectable well-running car, and, more importantly, I trust him to not sell me something he knows to be in poor condition. I was mainly asking more along the lines of what I should look out for (Like the plastic crossover on the intake manifold from older ford 4.6l modulars that cracks and spews out coolant everywhere).

Last edited by DominoTree; 07-15-2005 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:16 AM

Do your research. Sounds like another case of seller BS. I bet the price match his line also.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Retired

Is it just me, or do people always think they have something special when they really don't have ****?

The B4C is basically your run of the mill LT1.

I wouldn't pay over $5000 for it.

Mike
Old 07-15-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kraest
Is it just me, or do people always think they have something special when they really don't have ****?

The B4C is basically your run of the mill LT1.

I wouldn't pay over $5000 for it.

Mike
I have to agree with you. Its just a RPO code for a public service car AKA police. I wouldn't go out of my way to even look at one or even consider buying one. Same for 1LE RPO.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:25 PM

Yep, all B4C means is that either the brake or the gas was floored constantly, its one pedal or the other. The engine was rebulit cause that thing was BEAT on. So how do you think the tranny and rear are?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Bert02SS

Sounds like the car has been under water . . .

Old 07-15-2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bert02SS
Sounds like the car has been under water . . .
seconded........

hmmm........ what state? maybe caught in a flood/hurricane?
Old 07-15-2005, 07:04 PM

Anyone see the "Worlds Wildest Police Videos" where the LT1 Z28 cop car was chasing the modded M3? According to the cop, the driver of the Z28, his car was "equipped with a performance chip giving it 350 horsepower." Thats a helluva chip......

Anyway, to make a long story short, the M3 made a shoulder movement towards him when they were next to each other, the officer thought he was swerving, and the officer lost control of the Z28 and crashed it.

This is probably that car...........
Old 07-15-2005, 10:55 PM

Hedzilla, you drive a 1996 v6... I don't know where you get off ragging on this guys car. Way to rice up a mom and pop v6 camaro with boltons, though.

The B4C camaro has better stock suspension than a typical z28. But, it's nothing better or worse than any other typical z28. Referring to others post's, I don't know any cops that slam on the breaks or floor it whereever they go; although i'm sure most teenagers that have had their hands on z28s do that.

Quit trying to rain on this guy's fun. It's a fun talking piece and fun to drive an ex-cop car, it gives the car character. None of the people that have been asses to this guy have cars that are anything special, so get off your high horses.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:12 PM

A B4C would be a BIG reason for me to look elsewhere for a Z28. As others stated, they tend to be used fairly heavily during their time with the police.

Maybe this one is an exception, but the odds are against you.

Dan
Old 07-15-2005, 11:50 PM

Well the whole story is that it was auctioned off after the dept replaced the motor, with what they thought was a dead tranny. Turned out it was the PCM. The whole thing's been redone to OBD-1 for in-car tuning with a laptop. This is a reputable guy who's helped me out many times with my own car (a 1996 Crown Vic P71 Police Interceptor) without even letting me know he sells cars for a living...

Either way, I'm starting to think that a Z is too frivolous for me... There's this LT1 Caprice 9C1 that's calling to me... Like a halfway point between the Camaro and a Crown Vic

Quick Reply: About to buy a Z28 B4C Special Pursuit package :)