General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

98 ls1 camaro wont attempt to crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:29 PM

98 ls1 camaro wont attempt to crank

I was driving this car just yesterday and parked it and now I went to start it and it does nothing don't even attempt to crank lights come on and even prime fuel pump but nothing can I get some help on what to do here plz
Old 01-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Re: 98 ls1 camaro wont attempt to crank

You could have a weak battery, a bad starter, or a bad neutral safety switch.

The lights and fuel pump require only a small fraction of the power required to turn over the starter, so when a battery is low but not dead, your symptoms are typical. The fix here is to put the battery on a charger and see if it works later. Car batteries aren't very tolerant of being drained that low, so if this works, you need to replace the battery.

It could, of course, be the starter itself, or the starter solenoid (which is integrated with the starter). Sometimes a starter will work again if you whack it with a hammer, but that isn't a fix. If it starts, drive it to your mechanic, or the parts store, or wherever you need to go to get the replacement done.

Finally, the neutral safety switch. In an automatic transmission car, there is a sensor that disables the starter unless the gear selector is in P or N. Shift to N and try starting again. If that doesn't work, wiggle the shifter around in both P and N while turning the key. If you find a spot where the starter engages, even briefly, it's time for a new switch.

Manual trans cars have a similar switch that prevents the engine from starting unless the clutch pedal is depressed. Make sure you're getting the pedal all the way to the floor and that there's no bunched up carpet in the way or anything.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-02-2016, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Is the "SECURITY" light (PASS-Key2) flashing, or on solid?

Add - corroded battery terminals or main cables to the above list of possible causes.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Is the "SECURITY" light (PASS-Key2) flashing, or on solid?

Add - corroded battery terminals or main cables to the above list of possible causes.
The security light is blinking over and over when I was driving it it stayed solid but now just blinks and I tried putting different battery it did nothing
Old 01-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Administrator

You posted new thread, and also tacked this question on to an existing thread - always a problem. Causes confusion, duplicate effort by the people trying to help you.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/gen...e-vats-882049/

Apparently you didn't check the other thread, where I provided this link:

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech-PassKey/VATS

This is a quote from that link:

If the sensing contact circuit is open or shorted (cannot read the key) or a defective key is used at the time the ignition is turned ON, the SECURITY lamp will flash at a rate of once per second and the engine will not start. No three minute lockout will begin.
Appears to describe your problem, exactly.