General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

98 Camaro SS Dash Lights Go Out When Headlights Come On

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 PM

98 Camaro SS Dash Lights Go Out When Headlights Come On

I bought this car a few months ago, been great so far. Last week, at night, I started my car and noticed that the dash, odometer, and radio lights would not come on. I rolled the dimmer switch up and down, and up all the way did turn on my courtesy lights, nothing else. In the morning I checked and noticed the dimmer fuse had blown. I replaced it with the 5 amp, good to go. Once again, at night, the same set of lights had been out. After reading some forums, most said bad dimmer or headlight switch. I went and bought a new dimmer switch, a new headlight switch, and a new 5 amp fuse. Put them in, all is good until night time again. Dimmer fuse blown again. Everything is factory, down to the radio. What could it be? Where should I start looking. I just need to see my speed at night, as I have been pulled over a few times this month already. Thanks for any help at all.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 AM

Re: 98 Camaro SS Dash Lights Go Out When Headlights Come On

Exact same thing happened to me. On my other car I keep a spare set of keys by the cigarette lighter and blew the fuse. I must have shorted something out. Check for something that could be causing a short. If the fuse keeps blowing there is a problem in the system somewhere.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 PM

Re: 98 Camaro SS Dash Lights Go Out When Headlights Come On

i had this happen on my 97 vert every couple of months i only had a fuse blow on me once which is the only reason i found what the problem on my car was it turned out that every time it rained and i opened my window the water would run down the pillar trim and into my fuse box and corroded the fusses and sockets in the fuse box so i took some welding tip cleaners and scrapped all the green crud out from the sockets in the fuse panel replaced all the fuses with a glob of dielectric grease on all of them havent had it happen since which is about 6 months now i also keep the window closed when it rains now O one more thing when it happened on my car it was all the dash lights except the odometer that would stay lit