General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

98-02 Camaro LED R8 Headlight questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 03:06 AM

98-02 Camaro LED R8 Headlight questions

Hey Guys,

my headlights are going matt and looks a little bit "milky".
My search in www for new ones give me one result of the new
98-02 Camaro R8 LED Headlights.
I live in germany so i cant order and try, my order must fit so ill be sure to buy good stuff

At the moment i use the stock ones (ive sayd) and the light-efficiency is real bad. The new headlights use H1-projector bulbs, written as "CCFL halos" and "High Intensity Discharge (HID)".

Secondary to the "nice look" of these headlights, the light efficiency is much important for me, so CCFL and HID nothing say to me.

My question is: Anyone use it? Can anyone tell me about light-efficiency of those lights? At youtube i not find it and picture search brings me up the crazyst results
And interest for me too is: Are the LED and the angleeyes blue or white-blue or... !? I only find factory- and selling-pictures... sometimes looks white, sometimes blue.

Dont know if its ok to post a link to a shop (its example what kind of headlight i mean):

http://www.k2motor.com/98-02-chevy-c...ts-chrome.html

If the shop-link is not allowed please ask google for "Chrome Camaro R8 headlight"

Thank you verry much for help.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<
Old 03-25-2010, 01:18 PM

The link you posted is just for the light housings and the "halo" light rings. This will get rid of your milky looking lenses; but is not a HID headlight kit; these are made to use your factory headlight bulbs.

If you're just looking to replace the housings with something different and get rid of the milky look these will work.

If you're looking to improve your lighting then you're going to need a HID conversion kit which is something totally different.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:52 PM

Ah ok. If i understand you right, i just use the bulbs i have!? Thats H1 too i think and the difference are the lens for low beam.

Do you know how strong these LED Elements are? Ive read somwhere that it will crack soon and the LEDs wont work. Its interest for me if anyone have experiance with that stuff.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:31 PM

LED - Light Emitting Diode

Those headlights do not contain those at all.

Those headlights use your stock bulbs (Or you can spend the $$ to upgrade the bulbs to HID (High Intensity Discharge) or a brighter stock bulb).

The "halo" is done with a CCFL (Cold-Cathode Flourescent Lamp) and those are robust and won't typically break/crack.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:04 PM

Ah ok. Do you know if the LED stripe can be replaced? Ive read so much that these crack verry soon and thats not be funny. So i need to know if i can repair that.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:15 PM

The LEDs contained in there can not be replaced. But they shouldn't need to be.

LEDs are extremely roubust and don't typically fail unless you hook them up wrong.