General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

97 Z28 with gummy gas? Any thoughts on this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:06 PM

Question 97 Z28 with gummy gas? Any thoughts on this?

Hey guys,

So, I just had a hole open up in one of my gas lines and **** out all over the place. Small split in one of a pair of two rubber lines, coupled together, that run down the driver's side. (Return line maybe?)

When I was touching the line trying to find the hole, my hands came back wreaking of gas, but also, all sticky. Almost like someone had poured adhesive on me...

And when I looked at the puddle under the car, same thing, it had like a viscosity to it; it was not just liquid.

It took me scrubbing to get this gunk off my hands. Any thoughts on what the heck that is about?
Old 07-02-2015, 12:26 AM

Re: 97 Z28 with gummy gas? Any thoughts on this?

Did it also smell like varnish?
Old 07-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Which lines.... the fuel lines are nylon from behind the rocker panel at the driver's door, up through the inner fender liner, to the fuel rails. From the filter to the connection for the nylon lines, the supply and return lines are metal.

If someone has substituted rubber, it may not be compatible with the fuel, turning it into a gooey mess.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Which lines.... the fuel lines are nylon from behind the rocker panel at the driver's door, up through the inner fender liner, to the fuel rails. From the filter to the connection for the nylon lines, the supply and return lines are metal.

If someone has substituted rubber, it may not be compatible with the fuel, turning it into a gooey mess.
Yeah, what you're describing as being the fuel lines certainly sounds accurate; this is two hoses coupled together, on the driver's side, right by the door, that run to the back. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, as I've never messed with any part of a fuel system apart from the filter...

These are definitely rubber, and definitely a mess now... so, you may have hit the nail right on the head with the replacement theory sir. I've just never seen anything like this.

I had to have it towed to a nearby shop (a Firestone, unfortunately), as I had literally just filed the tank a half-hour before, it was spraying out way too fast for safety, and I was out of town. I'm waiting to hear back from them now.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Administrator

To repeat, the fuel lines from the rear of the car are metal. There are 3 independent metal lines - fuel supply, fuel return and EVAP purge (a vacuum line). Behind the rocker panel, near the front of the driver's side door, the metal lines end. There is a bundle of three nylon (not rubber lines) that connect to the metal pipes. The fuel supply and fuel return have GM "quick connects". The EVAP purge line connects with a short length of rubber hose and a spring clamp.

These are the nylon lines that start there, and go up to the fender liner (ignore the subframe connector and the braided S/S line.... those are not stock parts):

The three metal fuel lines run along the floor pan, along with the rear brake line - again, ignore the braided S/S and the added electrical wiring.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:34 PM

Thank ya sir. You were absolutely right about them being nylon, and that was what had split. Guy said they were just old and a little brittle. Wasn't too bad, couple hundred bucks.

Of course, I've got a brand new problem now, that I'm fearing the worst on, but I'll make a separate thread. Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Administrator

The replacement hose bundle is about $25. Shoebox has the part # on his website.