General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

96 Z28 Needs TLC...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 AM

96 Z28 Needs TLC...

I am a complete noobie when it comes to vehicles and need some help if anyone is willing. I have a couple issues going on.

The first issue is, one of my oxygen sensors are bad so I want to replace all 4 of them. I already ordered and received the parts but I have no clue where these 4 locations are at. Doing numerous Googles doesn't even help me out much at all. Could someone explain in detail where to find them and or possibly submit some photo reference?

My second problem is, the tube/hose/plastic pipe (not sure exactly what its suppose to be) that is on my secondary air injection rely is cracked and leaking and I have a couple questions in regards to this:

1. I have read you can remove and plug this up... but my concern is what kind of negative effect will it have on say for example... gas mileage or any other performance?

2. Where should I be looking for a replacement tube/hose/plastic pipe and what exactly should I be asking for? O'Reillys Auto guy tried telling me it was an EGR valve / emissions tube, so apparently he doesn't know what he is talking about and I dread going to a dealer and be charged 3 times as much for a simple part.

Third problem is the sensor for radiator fluid level... I ordered have a replacement but not sure where this is at. I would assume attached to the radiator somewhere?

And a side question: How much do you think I could get for my car selling it privately? Its in excellent condition, no rust or dings and the only real issues are it needs to air conditioner recharged, small crack in the dash thats barely noticeable in the middle near where the venting comes out and the small flap piece thats angles up and over the rear trunk space for the T-Tops go has a broken piece off one side so it doesn't exactly sit right. other then that... the car is pretty solid.

Had the trans replaced 2 yrs ago along with a lot of other work (though with moving I lost receipts). But currently this is what is installed:

110k miles:

SLP CAI
SLP Cat Back Dual/Dual
SLP Bolt-On SFC
SLP STB
Throttle Body Cooling Bypass
LT4 Knock Module
160 Thermostat
Doug Rippie 52MM TB/Ported Air Foil
New Jasper trans installed 2009
3.42 GM Rear Gears
Spohn Moly Adjustable Torque Arm
BMR Chrome Moly Adj. Panhard Rod w/Rod Ends
G2 Tubular Control Arms
B&M Shift Kit
2002 Front and Rear Sway Bars
TrickFlow Ceramic Intake Elbow
HPP+ Programming (Performance, Lower Fan Cycle, 3.42 Rear Gear Change)
Ultra Z Hood w/MBA Stainless Steel Inlet Cover
1996 Z-28 SS Rear Spoiler
17inch 2000 Z-28 SS Rims
1968 Z-28 Side Emblems
1998 Z-28 Leather Door Panels
1998 Z-28 Rear Leather Seats
Carbon Fiber Gauge Panel Overlay
Stainless Steel Relay Cover
Stainless Steel Oil Cap
Stainless Steel Radiator Cap
Stainless Steel Rear Camaro Letters
Stainless Steel 2002 Z-28 Rear Emblem
SLP Rear Emblem
Haddon 5.7 High Output V8 Badge

Last edited by Mortician; 03-15-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM

Re: 96 Z28 Needs TLC...

there is one o2 sensor in each exhaust manifold and one o2 sensor after each cat on the y pipe 3 of them are not that bad to get at the passanger side exhaust manifold o2 sensor is a real pita to get to i took the alternator out and found the right combo of extensions and swivels thru the top the other three you can do from the bottom and your gonna need a o2 sesnor socket
Old 03-15-2012, 02:41 PM

My o2's were almost impossible to remove and I had the manifolds out of the car. I use heat and a sludge hammer and barely got them off. It can be a PITA sometimes. A lift makes it SO much easier and I have tried both and would never try doing it with jack stands again.

Last edited by mrmint69; 03-15-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-15-2012, 02:56 PM

Ok... so not looking forward to this now lol.

Got another question... "Name this part"... arrow points to the black piece with a silver tube coming up and into the back of the part and then an elbow hose coming off the front thats somewhat hidden behind the fuel line. What I need is the elbow hose cause its cracked and leaking... but a buddy told me it was the PCV, auto parts place looked and said EGR... another site someone said secondary air injection relay and someone from a chevy dealer when trying to explain this part, said secondary air injection valve.

Sure makes it hard finding a part when nobody seems to know for sure what it is lol.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 PM

It is part of the EGR system. I dont have a book for a 96 but its definatley a valve not a relay so Id go with the dealership's advice. As far as the O2 sensors you will have 1 on each manifold should be close to where the y pipe hooks to the manifolds. you will also find one right in front and right behind you catalytic converter. Hope this helps.

Last edited by roosterz28; 03-15-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:21 PM

Thanks rooster and I did find out for sure what that is... "Secondary Air Injection Connector Elbow"
Old 03-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by roosterz28
It is part of the EGR system. I dont have a book for a 96 but its definatley a valve not a relay so Id go with the dealership's advice. As far as the O2 sensors you will have 1 on each manifold should be close to where the y pipe hooks to the manifolds. you will also find one right in front and right behind you catalytic converter. Hope this helps.
No. It's the check valve for the AIR system. Has nothing to do with EGR.

Some helpful photos from this site - bookmark it, it will help you immensely:

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids

EGR System:

http://shbox.com/1/egr1.jpg

AIR Check Valve:

http://shbox.com/1/diverters.jpg

AIR System Components:

http://shbox.com/1/air_pump_recall.jpg

If the AIR check valve is leaking, hot exhaust gas flows from the exhaust manifold, through the check valve, and into the line from the AIR pump. Exhaust gas is hot, so it damages the rubber elbow.

With regard to removing the AIR system - the electric AIR pump only runs for a couple minutes at startup to help the cat heat up faster. Then it shuts down, and is no longer used. If you remove the system, it will have no effect on fuel mileage, and no effect on performance. If you have a "visual" emissions inspection, they can fail you if the AIR components are not there and functioning. Additionally, the OBD-II (96/97) computer diagnostics test the system to see if it can detect air flow from the pump, and if it doesn't see the expected air flow, it sets a code and turns on the SES light. There are also codes for the AIR pump circuit. The codes need to be "programmed out" of the PCM.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Administrator

With regard to the O2 sensors. There are two "pre-cat" sensors. The one on the drivers side is in the base of the cast iron exhaust manifold, right above the large triangular flange that the drivers side cat bolts to. The one on the passenger side is not on the manifold, but on the Y-pipe right below the manifold.

Your car has two cats, so it has two "after-cat" sensors. As noted, the drivers side cat is bolted to the bottom of the exhaust manifold, so the after-cat sensor will be below the cat on the Y-pipe. The passenger side cat is under the "bump" in the passenger floor area. The after-cat sensor will be immediately at the outlet of the cat.

Note that the pre-cat sensor harness connectors are 4-wire flat, and the after-cat sensor harness connectors are 4-wire square.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Administrator

And then there's the sensor for the radiator level. Its on the back of the radiator, passenger side end tank, a few inches below the fill cap.

Again, Shoebox has the answers:

http://shbox.com/1/low_coolant.jpg
Old 03-15-2012, 04:08 PM

Sweet.. appreciate it Injuneer and pics are the next best thing to sliced bread hehe
Old 03-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Shoebox is the LT1 god!!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Finally got around to at least fixing the radiator sensor... no more problems there. Waiting on the secondary air elbow which should come in Wednesday... and been trying to get my buddy here to attempt the O2's. Told him we should tackle the passenger front since its the worst of them.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 PM

Ok... we couldnt break loose the O2 on the passenger side rear. We had an easy time getting the passenger side front out after removing the alternator as mab6680 mentioned. Now getting that son of a gun back in was a nightmare! LOL

Now the only issue is it seems the belt or one of the lower pulleys is making a funny noise after putting it all back together. Arg.... fix one thing and break another.