General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

96 Firebird...VATS Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:16 PM

96 Firebird...VATS Help

I've got a 96 Firebird, 3.8L with a VATS issue. The car is currently stuck in an underground so I in a bit of a time crunch ....Hopefully someone can help.

Bascially, when I put the key in, before even turning the key I can hear a buzzing/humming coming from the passenger side dashboard.....Turning the key starts the car fine, but then it stalls after like 3 seconds of running......Security light comes on. I've done some reading and it sounds like this is a VATS issue, I know nothing about this so I need alotta help, lol.

I've tried a spare key, tried cleaning the keys, tried disconnecting the battery....Still no luck.

From what I've read, I suspect either the key reader in the ignition cylinder is faulty(but would I still get the starter to work if that were the case???) OR the BCM is faulty and not sending the correct signal to the PCM and thus cutting off fuel......How can I diagnose what exactly is the problem here???

Also where is the BCM located, is it easily replaced(ie can I do it in the underground) and where can I get a replacement???(if I use a BCM from another car will it work, or does it have to be programmed to the car)?????

Thanks for any help guys.....This is really killin me.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Probably not the best place to post your problem - this forum is for the LT1/V8 engine tech topics. Since the VATS system is external to the engine, and common to both the V6 and the V8, let's move this to "General 67-02 Tech".......
Old 02-11-2010, 07:29 AM

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html