General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

96 Camaro Z28 electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:15 PM

96 Camaro Z28 electrical help

Hi from Houston TX
I am new to this site so please bear with me while i try to explain my problem and see if any of you guys can help me.

I bought a 96 Camaro Z28, the car pretty much was transformed to be a drag racer with racing steering wheel, ignition switch and radiator fan connected to that switch.

I've been working on it so it can become a daily driver again. Bought a steering wheel with airbag, clock spring for the airbag, tail lights bezel and plugs, cold air intake (the old one was hammered down to fit the engine bay), MAF sensor (which is still throwing the code P0100 after i installed a new one and replaced the connector for it), MAP sensor with connector, EGR valve, brake switch.

I know it sounds like i should've bought a better one, I know but i like working on cars.

My problem starts with the ignition switch the previous owner rigged, it bypasses the ignition on the steering column so when you turn on the switch the dash bord lights up and the only thing you have to do is turn the key to start, also when you flip the switch on the fans on the radiator start spinning.

I took of the harness of the fans and it was a mess (pic #1) so I went to the junk yard and bought a used one, came home searched for the cut wires and found them. Now my problem is that the cables on the harness are white, yellow, green and black (pic #2). The ones that were cut are 2 blacks, green and i think yellow. In the pic is how i connected them. After running the car for 30 minutes so the temp can get hot and see if the fans come on nothing happened so I know i did something wrong. I need someone to help me figure it out the correct connection.

My second problem is how can i get rid of that ignition switch i have and just use the steering column switch because its connect it like in the pic #3, that is another problem i need help with. (red cable is connected to the fuse box and goes thru the firewall to the switch, there is another red cable that comes from the battery to power it)

Finally on pic #4 i need to know what are those 2 cables that come from the black plug from, the disconnected plug i think is for the ARS because i have a ARS light on on the cluster.

I hope somebody didn't stop reading and can help me with this because i searched everywhere even in shbox.com and I am lost with electrical schematics.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 96 Camaro Z28 electrical help-img_20160503_172621.jpg   96 Camaro Z28 electrical help-img_20160503_172346.jpg   96 Camaro Z28 electrical help-img_20160503_172406.jpg   96 Camaro Z28 electrical help-img_20160503_172333.jpg  
Old 05-03-2016, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Re: 96 Camaro Z28 electrical help

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com!

To get responses to the many questions you have, we really need to move this to one of the "tech" forums. Since this goes beyond "engine" issues, I'll move it to "General 67-02 F-Body Tech".

I was going to offer you a link to a free download of the 1996 factory service manual, but if you are not comfortable working with electrical schematics, I'm not sure how much help it will be.

To address the MAF, P0100 is a fairly common problem with the 96 model year. The pink 12 volt wire to the MAF connector breaks somewhere in the harness. Use a digital volt meter to check the wire. Remove the connector from the MAF, turn the key on (do not start) and measure the voltage between the pink wire in the connector and a good chassis ground. Should read about 12 volts. That verifies the continuity of the pink wire. If you have 0 volts, check the fuse in the instrument panel box. It's #5 on 95 model. I'llhave to verify it's the same fuse for 96. Then measure the voltage between the pink wire in the connector and the black (ground) wire in the connector. Should be 12 volts. That verifies the ground in the connector.