General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

95 z28 no high beams

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:52 AM

95 z28 no high beams

So, I've had trouble with this stupid thing before on my lt1

When I pull the turn signal stick forward, it faces no resistance, its supposed to click and turn on the high beams correct? perhaps I've forgotten how to use them?

whats wrong with it?

Sorry new car, its been a while, and its a new car (to me)
Old 12-13-2009, 08:14 AM

Without driving to the garage I have mine stored in, I'm almost positive you pull the turn signal lever towards you, not push it forward.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
Without driving to the garage I have mine stored in, I'm almost positive you pull the turn signal lever towards you, not push it forward.
thats what I meant...

sorry for any confusion.

but nothing happens, I mean it moves, but the lights dont change, and there is no click, no resistance.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:06 AM

The stalk is connected to a rod that goes down the column to the dimmer switch. Operate the lever and see if the rod moves. The fix might be as easy as adjusting the switch (loosen the mounting screws and move the switch, but don't disturb the position of the ignition switch or you may throw it out of adjustment).

http://shbox.com/ignsw/column2.jpg
Old 12-15-2009, 11:42 PM

i have this eexact same problem. theres no way to do this without removing the steering column is there?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 AM

If shoebox is correct about it being lose, its one thing...

taking that steering column actually isnt that bad, i recomend taking it all the way out instead of just a little bit, i struggled for hours trying to screw to bolts in...

I've done the ignition switch before, and thats no fun at all...

But I've noticed my entire turn stalk is not functioning properly... to make a left, i have to push pretty hard to make it stay, or i can hold it down, when looking at it, the bottom of the stalk sort of separates when i move it, so I think I need a new one.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by jakesm89
i have this eexact same problem. theres no way to do this without removing the steering column is there?
You don't need to remove the column just to see what is going on. The dimmer can be adjusted or changed without removing the column, but there is not a lot of room to work.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:52 AM

Re: 95 z28 no high beams

how is the actuator rod supposed to be connected to the MFS?
Old 12-16-2010, 11:58 PM

anyone?

I took apart everything, and I see the actuator rod that goes down the column... i push the rod, the switch activates, my high beems come on

the only thing I can figure out is how the actuator rod connects to the turn signal assembly, nor can i figure how pulling the Multifunction lever does it create a push on the rod to go down the column
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 AM

I have the same problem with my car.. But if i pull the steering wheel adjustment lever and pull the steering wheel all the way down, than pull the turn signal lever back they will click on. Not sure if your having the same problem but you can give that a try.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:38 AM

I've got it all apart, I can see the rod, and I can manually push the rod...

People are saying adjust the dimmer switch so that it reaches... well its fine on that end, but up top, I cant figure out what, where it goes. I cannot even tell if the dimmer switch needs to be adjusted without knowing how the rod is secured...

adjusting the hight of the steering wheel does not change the position of the rod, nor its proximity to the Multifunction switch... although it does give me different angles to see, move things around...
Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM

Here I found an old thread, but since I've already started this one?

BlackbirdWS6---
There is no point in replacing the turn signal switch because that does not engage the high beams. You need to get the column cover apart and you will see a piece of plastic with a contoured portion that presses up against a metal rod going down the column. When you pull back on the stalk, this gets pressed and it shoves the rod down to engage or disengage the high beams. You do not need to take the wheel off to do this. Sometime the plastic piece can break of actually fall out. Mine fell out when I had the column apart replacing the turn signal switch so I got a good education on how it needed to be oriented.

Quick fix would be to pull off the column covers right behind the steering wheel and pushing down on that lever to disengage the highs.

Good luck.

-Brian
This is what I'm missing, can anyone show me what this looks like, or is there a part number for this plastic portion???...
Old 12-17-2010, 11:02 AM

aha... found a picture of what I need...

http://i46.tinypic.com/33nyebm.jpg

now, anyone know how this peice of plastic attaches to the Turn Switch?

Gotta find a junkyard here in germany...
Old 06-10-2022, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by NewbieWar
Here I found an old thread, but since I've already started this one?

BlackbirdWS6---

This is what I'm missing, can anyone show me what this looks like, or is there a part number for this plastic portion???...

SAME issue.How does it go back together without removing the wheel? Having some trouble after dealing with the pivot pin- the headlight follower just fell out!

Thank you all
Old 06-10-2022, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Would a free download of the 1995 factory service manual help? Or whatever year your car is.

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

The person you asked hasn’t signed into this site since 2013

Quick Reply: 95 z28 no high beams