General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

'95 Z28 A/C problem: blowing hot air, see pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:31 PM

'95 Z28 A/C problem: blowing hot air, see pics

We had a lot of work done to the Z28 recently. We had all this stuff replaced:
  • A/C condenser cleaned
  • A/C relay replaced
  • A/C heater control panel replaced
  • A/C accumulator/drier replaced
  • A/C manifold hose replaced, evacuated system, and charged system

After all this work, there were two issues.

#1, the HVAC control panel (the switch panel inside the car) had to be replaced with the panel made for Camaros without A/C apparently.
Name:  IMG_1939modified.jpg
Views: 2125
Size:  167.0 KB

#2, the A/C wasn't very cold when we first got the car back from the technician. Now, it's a month later, and it's blowing hot as if there's no A/C cooling at all. Looking under the hood 12 hours after being driven, this is what I found:
Name:  IMG_2529.jpg
Views: 2881
Size:  131.4 KB
Name:  IMG_2528.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  122.0 KB
Name:  IMG_2527.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  131.8 KB
Name:  IMG_2530.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  138.7 KB

Can someone provide some guidance please...?
Old 06-14-2010, 09:09 PM

Dropped the car off a few hours ago. The technician said that the white marks on the accumulator are heliarc welds and that's just how they look. The original accumulator didn't have visible weld marks that I recall... so it's simply a factor of not being the original accumulator...

I'll know tomorrow what the problem is... it blew hot as heck air the entire trip up to the mechanic.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:59 PM

how much for the factory radio?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:06 PM

Ok I've got a couple things to throw at you. why did they replace the *****? did they think it might fix it? do you have a scanner? get one if you don't you can see if the car is actually telling the compressor to kick on which will tell you if your **** is working. also are you having any issues with your opti? I've never heard anyone else say it but when my car sets code 16 or 36 my air will not work. it is charged and everything is fine it just won't allow it to kick on. Also did you pull a vacume on it before it was charged? or you could just jump the compressor and see if it kicks on manually
Old 06-14-2010, 10:16 PM

They replaced the ***** because there was a hissing sound coming from them. Some sort of leak behind them. I really wish they would have found the correct replacement part, used or not.

No issues at all with the opti, the car runs like a champ. I think you might have seen and commented on the restoration topic I made in the LT1 section a month ago. The car's just about completely restored except for some gaskets remaining to be done and this darn A/C problem.

My sister is almost the exclusive driver of this car, so I'm not able to answer all of your questions. Normally you can hear the compressor engage, but I don't know if it was engaging or not today. I didn't listen for it. I pretty much immediately turned the A/C off and opened the windows. The hot air felt like a hair dryer on my face.

I'll post about what the problem ended up being assuming I get the car back tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:23 PM

Not hijacking your thread, just going to watch it as the exact same thing happened to me. Replaced compressor with new unit(not reman), expansion valve and accumulator. Flushed system and had it professionally vacuumed down and recharged. Didn't get as cold as it should and now after using it approx. 5-6 times, doesn't work at all. Just blows hot.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 PM

Sounds exactly like my story. I'll update you on what the guy finds out.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:27 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 PM

I heard this from somebody else who works there that the clutch is seized up. To which I said "you mean the compressor isn't clacking on?" and he said yeah. Never heard it called a clutch, but I'm ignorant about A/C stuff.

The actual technician/mechanic is supposed to call in a bit, but I have jury duty, so it might be awhile before I know and can update...
Old 06-16-2010, 11:56 AM

I called just now and the guy said that he had to order a schematic for the car because he thinks something electrical is preventing the clutch from engaging.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:06 PM

Schematic

Here you go. Print this out and give it to him. Thanks Shoebox!!

http://shbox.com/1/hvac_compressor_control.jpg
Old 06-16-2010, 03:21 PM

Thanks! I forgot to say I faxed that to him along with pics of the electrical harness from shbox's site. Hopefully he can get this figured out without charging me hundreds of dollars.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:50 PM

My pleasure. Glad I could help.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 PM

We were able to pick up the car today. My sister took it back to work with her and I didn't get to inspect any work done on it or test drive it.

The mechanic discovered code 51, PROM error, coming up. When the mechanic cleared the code, the compressor started working again.

Do you have an occasional check engine soon light tfperf? Different from other check engine soon codes, in our car's experience, this one (which is currently the only code) comes on randomly, lasts for a minute or so, and then turns off. The fans turn on just like most/all engine codes, but they don't turn on very high. Are you having that issue tfperf?

This is a particularly bad code to have, and we might need to put our heads together should you have this problem as well. I've researched it on here, and there aren't any solutions posted in detail, and most people who have it have highly modified cars.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:56 PM

Brangeta, I have not had an SES light come on and there are no codes in the computer. I even disconnected the battery in an effort to do a reset. Still no luck. I'm suspecting a leak now. I tried adding a can of 134 and the can emptied quickly without the compressor running and the compressor never came on. I'm tired of beating my head against a wall with this thing. I'm going to swing by a shop that a friend manages and let them troubleshoot it for me. He told me he'd only charge me $20! That sounds like the best deal I've heard in a long time!

Quick Reply: '95 Z28 A/C problem: blowing hot air, see pics