General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

93 z28 front brakes. help! confused.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 10:06 AM

93 z28 front brakes. help! confused.

alright I am having some issues with my front brakes. I bought this car already modified an the owner gave me a set of pads with the car. So i have a race coming up and I wanted to change them. This is where im confused. The brakes are not the same as my 95 Z. The caliper has two 1/2 bolts an then a braket for the pads. the left side the pads didnt have the slider hardware installed meaning the pads just sat in there on the componets (braket/caliper). then the right side i found that there was hardware in the bottom an none on top. I tried to install all new hardware upper an lower and the pads would not fit no matter what. right side i went with how it was a slider clip on bottom an nothing on top. the pads where snug. i used brake lube on them also. driverside is a different story tho. i put a slider on bottom like the other side. it was very tight. i sanded the bracket an paint off the pad. it went in but was very snug. same with the back pad. regardless i installed it an test drove it, it stops good an the pedal feels good but are the pads going to be ok. being that snug like i really had to place it with force with my hands tho .. i cant see it being good not having the hardware in there? what do you guys think? im not sure if this is how the brakes are on a 93 or if they are some sort of upgrade they are 2 piston cailper an bracket for pads. very light. do you think its ok to run with out hardware so the pads are looser an slide better or is it ok that they are snug? i have an event to run in 2 weeks. when i took it off like i said only hardware was installed on the passenger side bottom. an i raced it like that last year not knowing. so idk if i should put it back that way or not. any suggestions will help.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Re: 93 z28 front brakes. help! confused.

Post a picture. 93 brakes should not be any different than 95 brakes. Front caliper would by a single piston, supported by two large "ears" projecting from the steering knuckle.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:23 PM

well i talked to the previous owner and he said that hes pretty sure they are a C4 corvette calipers. dual piston. both sides. I know they are nothing like my 95 z28. he told me he had a very hard time with seating the pads also. they just wont fit in the slots with the hardware installed on top an bottom. thats why he had only hardware on one side. so idk if i should just let it go or put it back to what he had it set up as. i just dont think the pads should be sliding on the caliper/bracket alone without those clips installed. to me it seems like the brackets an caliper castings are just bad casts. maybe they are aftermarket brake kit. next week i will pull the tire an get a picture. also i want to check if the wheel is freely spinning an not being held up. if its not ill prob just leave the set up as is. i have real no way of telling if the pads are sliding well enough tho.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:12 PM
Administrator

See if the install looks anything like this:

Baer Racing 13" Track Braking Kit

That's a Baer 13" PBR dual piston kit. I think the Corvette used the PBR calipers at some point.

Is it possible the rotors are just too thick for the calipers?
Old 06-24-2016, 09:46 PM

Baer had a kit that used C4 calipers. Don't know if they still offer it. I had one that I never installed. The one I had would fit with the stock 16" wheels. It used stock C4 Corvette pads and hardware. These links show some C4 pads and hardware and how to replace them.

N4RFC.COM » How to: C4 Corvette Brake Rotors and Pads

C4 Corvette Front Brake Rebuild - Part Two

All 93-97 Camaros had single piston cast iron calipers. It sounds like you have the Baer kit if the previous owner is correct about the C4 calipers. You could also have have 98-02 brakes. They use an aluminum two piston caliper similar to the C4 calipers.