Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 F-Body Technical Discussion > General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #1

Unhappy 93 camaro z28 Problem with speedometer!!!!

I have a problem with my speedo. when the car is idling its find it sits at 0 then you rev the motor it moves and when you put it in gear the speedo goes to 150mph? please help thank to anyone that can help i can take a video too if anyone needs one.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
alienman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #2

Re: 93 camaro z28 Problem with speedometer!!!!

Its a 1993 camaro z28 a/t lt4 with some mods.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #3

can it be the computer going bad?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Garage

The 93 factory manual is contradictory with regard to the speedometer operation. In one place it describes a "VSS buffer" located in the under hood convenience center. The buffer is the device that converts the VSS output to the signal required by the speedometer. If that is correct, 1993 would be the only year that uses this configuration. Later years feed the VSS signal to the PCM, and the PCM drives the speedometer. 93 is different in many respects, with the tachometer driven directly off the coil, via a filter, where other years drive the tach from the PCM.

Yet elsewhere in the factory manual, the wiring diagrams show the VSS signal splitting and feeding both the ECM and the speedometer/odometer section of the cluster, and do not show a buffer.

Look in the under hood fuse/relay box to see if there is any indication of the VSS buffer.

Could be the VSS, could be the buffer (if it exists), could be the speedometer or could be high voltage interference on the VSS signal wires.

94 Formula A3+1: 381ci all-forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / Comp Cams custom solid roller / TH400 + GearVendors OD / Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's / 300-shot N2O / Spohn suspension / 6-pt roll bar with integrated SFC's / AutoMeter instrumentation / MoTeC M48Pro engine management system / a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800LB-FT at the flywheel.

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-12-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #5

Ok there is no speed buffer I will put a video up with a link to youtube
Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #6

ok here is the link for youtube guy let me know what you think,
Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #7

I have a version of this problem.

Started the car to day with the wheels chocked and parking brake on.

When I rev the engine to 3000 rpm the speedo goes to 10mph with the car sitting still.

1995 Z28 lt1 6 spd.

Anybody fixed a problem like this? ECM bad?
Black '95 LT1 M6 Hard Top, 1LE Springs F & R, Koni DA F & R, C5 brakes, 1LE elbow, 1LE PHB, 1LE F & R, U & L control arms, 32/19mm 1LE sway bars, LT4 KM, SLP 1 3/4" Mid headers, SLP STB, SLP SFC, Hust shifter, Jacobs Box, Crane coil, Aluminum D/S, 275/40/17 ES-100, 10 spoke SS wheels, TA rear cover, Magnacore wires, IAT relocate, Jet Intake tube, K&N stock filter, LS1 P/S cooler, Goodyear Hi-miler Hoses, stock oil cooler.
Z28barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 PM

Reply Post New Thread