General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

93 Camaro Z28 LT1 slight miss when idle runs very strong

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Lightbulb 93 Camaro Z28 LT1 slight miss when idle runs very strong

Hey folks. I recently bought me a 93 Z28 LT1 with a 6speed t-56 tremec transmission with the hurst stick. Its got headers. 2 and a half to 3 inch pipe. 2 racing chips. Line lock. 3:23 posi trac rearend with subframe connectors. K&N air box and filter. Nice red and black paint. Not a bad buy for what I gave. But anyway my problem is there's a slight miss when idle but when she opens up she don't skip a beat. Lot of power! I was thinking some sort of sensor? Maybe tps? Or map? Bad o2s? Plus the starter went out (I think imma have autozone run a check when I pull it) I need to get a new one how do I know what I pull it from will work as far as teeth on an auto flywheel and manual flywheel? Is there a diffrence? I've had this car two weeks and idk where the racing chips are located id like to find and see brands and such. This is my first fourth gen camaro. I wasn't ever crazy about that bodystyle but I loved the third gen I had 4 of them and all automatic so pretty simple hotrod. Lot of power from a 305 HO with a 700R4 can't complain. 3:08 gears. Nice starter camaro. But anyway lol anyone help me out with my problems? Would be great.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Re: 93 Camaro Z28 LT1 slight miss when idle runs very strong

Could be a faulty injector. Have they ever been cleaned? Could be a small vacuum leak. Could be a misadjusted rocker arm. Could be a burnt valve. Many possibilities.

What is a "racing chip"? The 93 LT1 ECM is the last year that has a replaceable program chip in the ECM. So someone may have replaced the stock chip with a reprogrammed chip. That's the only place to put a "chip". Not sure where your second one is located.

The stock flywheel (manual) and flex-plate (automatic) both have the same ring gear tooth count, and use the same starter. Anything from 93-97 will fit, plus the LT4 starter from the 96 Corvette, which is a popular replacement. I bought a CVR Pro-Torque starter that will fit both 153 and 168 tooth configurations. Compact, cheap, body rotates to provide additional clearance to headers.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:28 AM

Lightbulb Re: 93 Camaro Z28 LT1 slight miss when idle runs very strong

thanks for the starter information. i think mine is a mini-starter, would either a mini or reg. starter work tho? everything i mentioned was pretty much in the ad when i bought the car. it said "two racing chips" now im like u i imagine they ran some sort of aftermarket chip in the ecm. i was told the injectors "leaked" and to have them cleaned it'd be 30$ an injector or 80$ for a brand new one. looked at some aftermarket venom fuel injectors. also should mention the car also has a slight popping from exhaust after u let off the gas from a rev. like maybe new collector gaskets? or sensors? also think is should check tightness on bolts on headers. im just trying to work out all the kinks on this car cuz i like my cars to be right. its a very nice car and its pretty cherry for a 93'. brand new clutch system. new battery. gonna get all new hoses and clean up engine bay. brand new radiator. brand new plugs and wires. transmissions a pretty valuable one too. i was told this car has around 325hp with 320flbs. hell i only give $1500 bucks for the car thru an immediate friend. Linelock works great. i dont know if the LT1 has had work done or not but its SOLID. fromwhat i hear from all previous owners a lot of coin has gone into this car.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Do not buy Venom injectors.

You can find injectors for a lot less than $640 for a new set. Look at this source as an example:

http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Your stock injectors are 22 #/HR. You can use anything in the range of 22-24 #/HR without upsetting the ECM's A/F ratio control. Ideally for anything larger than stock you would want a new chip burned. You might want to verify the size of your current injectors, because someone may have changed them from stock already, and had the new injector size programmed into the "racing chip".

Does the exhaust still have a cat? If the cat is removed, you will often get some popping in the exhaust on decel. It would still be a good ides to check the headers for leaks - an exhaust leak BEFORE the O2 sensors will cause it to run rich. Check at the flange that bolts to the head, and the AIR/EGR connections on the headers (if you still have emissions connected). If the headers have a slip fit on the #1 primary, check that too.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:38 PM

Lightbulb Re: 93 Camaro Z28 LT1 slight miss when idle runs very strong

thanks for the help man this site is GREAT! great help and fast! yea the car doesnt have a cat. im taking a link out of the exhaust to remove starter at the moment but while i got it apart im gonna replace gaskets (maybe metal replacements?) all thru out exhaust and new bolts and retighten. whoever had car left original stock exhaust on the car. im wanting a good magnaflow or borla signifigant sound. wat do u suggest on these models?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:47 AM

kinda sounds to me that it might have a cam upgrade too. my 94 LT sounds almost exactly like that. she runs rough until she gets warm and at an idle, but when i get down its all go no slow/popping when i let off the pedal. i did not know the 93 was the last year for the programmable chip, so i may not have a clue what i am talking about. trying to learn though. i inherited the car so im goin on word of mouth and paperwork we have found. total so far is (roller lifters, rods, and balanced came word of mouth)-for sure-LT4 hot cam, K&N ram air, custom program, *high flow headers into 3in pipe "Y" pipe no cat 80 series flowmaster 1/in-2/out *
Old 10-25-2011, 12:53 PM

A LT4 cam has a lumpy idle, but not one that could be described as a miss. Injector cleaner kits are cheap to use. Buy one and clean your injectors in the car. I used Percy's dead soft aluminum seal-4-good.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...7578_500309_0_