General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

99 Trans Am - Sudden no power/radio/starting

Old 07-16-2014, 11:39 AM

99 Trans Am - Sudden no power/radio/starting

Bought a 99 Trans Am a few weeks ago to have as a personal toy. It came from KY and they don't have stickers there, so a lot of the lights weren't working and the tires were bald on the back.

Fixing the lights one by one and came up to the turn signal on the front. I bought a socket to replace the old one at Autozone because the old one was burnt out. I ghetto rigged it with just tape temporarily because it started raining that day or something. Went back two days ago to do it right and respliced both the "A" and "B" wires one by one. Checked everything after each one, everything worked. Went back to resplice the "G" wire, and now the car won't start. This is the day that my new tires came in too

When you put the key in the ignition, it will beep like normal. Turn it forward to the next stage and basically nothing comes on but the security light in the dash and the check engine light with the beeping cause I had the door open. Turn it forward any more and it kills everything instantly.

While in the first stage past lock the check engine light is on and if you press the brake pedal, it kills everything. Press a power window button, it kills everything.

I got under the car and checked all of the grounds, took them off and cleaned/sanded them, no luck.

I unhooked the battery from the car because I didn't know what could be causing the problems and didn't want to kill the battery. If you hook the battery back up, the security light in the dash goes crazy kicking on and off, sounds like a machine gun. Also, the passenger side headlight motor keeps trying to go down, but it is already down.

The only change that happened from everything working to this situation was that I turned the key off, respliced the ground on the front turn signal, and went back to turn the key and test it. I have looked at all the fuses, they are good.

Any ideas on what to check?