General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

4th gen power window repair success thanks to Shoebox

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 07:30 PM

4th gen power window repair success thanks to Shoebox

I just wanted to put up a post on my recent successful repair of the drivers side power window lift on my 1995 Z28 convertible.

I had installed an after market Dorman window regulator and motor that I got from Summit Racing four years ago but it quit working a week ago. Worse still my wife was driving when it broke!! What..... you were driving my car..... and you broke it!!! Mercifully those words never passed my lips but I was a bit PO'd having had to pay to replace her Volvo's transmission two months ago ($7,000 ouch!) and strut towers one month ago ($1,000). I was still a little sensitive !

So with my Z28 driving enjoyment and marital bliss on the line, I opened up the door panel and confirmed that I was getting the correct voltage to the connector to the lift motor and even jumpered in 12 volts directly to the motor contacts to see no movement so I was pretty sure the electric motor had packed it in.

I was worried because I remember how hard it was to replace the regulator and motor and I was thinking that I would have to do that miserable job again.

Then a moment of clarity hit me and I opened my browser bookmarks and found shbox.com and opened it and lo and behold shoebox had already figured out an much easier way to replace the window lift motor and all I had to do was follow the instructions!!!!!

Power Window Motor

I won't repeat the details but I did want to say that everything was just as described. I got my window motor from Amazon (as shoebox had mentioned in the instructions) and I ordered the AC Delco part number 88960088 just as shoebox called out.

I have my 95 Z28 in "my garage" in Amazons database and for some reason the Amazon page for the window lift had a header stating "this does not fit your 95 Chevrolet Camaro". So I had to decide: listen to shoebox or Amazon?

That part was pretty easy; I mean what makes me think Amazon knows anything about my 95 Z28? I ordered the part as shoebox had recommended and it fit and works perfectly!

So that is the mega happy ending to my story, thanks to shoebox and camaroZ28.com for keeping me rolling!
Old 10-11-2015, 10:08 PM

Re: 4th gen power window repair success thanks to Shoebox

Doesn't it feel great when you (me) can do something like this?Shoebox has helped thousands of members and yours truly with the window motor replacement.Saved $$$$$.He helped me on the window mechanism the holds the glass as well.I had to use mirrors and some pvc pipe to hold the glass up,but I was blown away that I could actually do this thing.His detailed pics and advice are great.This was on my old f-body,but I know what to do this time when it comes.I donated a couple of bucks to his website as he uses no advertisements on his tech page.Anyway,when shopping for parts on e-bay or amazon,take the fitment,non fitment with a grain of salt because half the time their fitment guide is wrong.I go to for part numbers.
1. ac delco parts lookup
2. parts train
3.partsgeek
4.rockauto
5.gm parts giant
6. can also check with your local dealer.Parts may be discontinued but you can still get part #'s to work with.
7.Also over the years ac delco had different plants make their products so the model numbers may have changed.So cross reference.
Hope this helps and congrats.My02
Old 10-11-2015, 10:10 PM

Oh,I do go to shoeboxes site first for reference numbers.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Administrator

I've known that Rob's (Shoebox) info was reliable since we shared info on installing stock front springs with the QA1 12-way adjustable shocks, back in 1998 !!! He is the absolute guru of LT1/4th Gen info.

Thanks, once again Rob! He's also one of the few people holding this site together.

And thank you squarehead for the positive feedback.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I've known that Rob's (Shoebox) info was reliable since we shared info on installing stock front springs with the QA1 12-way adjustable shocks, back in 1998 !!! He is the absolute guru of LT1/4th Gen info.

Thanks, once again Rob! He's also one of the few people holding this site together.
If anyone is holding this place together, it would be Fred. His detailed explanations leave nothing uncovered. Honest and factual information is the cornerstone of good tech.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
If anyone is holding this place together, it would be Fred. His detailed explanations leave nothing uncovered. Honest and factual information is the cornerstone of good tech.
The entire community thanks you both ( Rob and Fred ) for your many years of [free] service to the LT1 community.
Thank you!
Brad.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:09 PM
ZZ

Originally Posted by tritonium
The entire community thanks you both ( Rob and Fred ) for your many years of [free] service to the LT1 community.
Thank you!
Brad.