General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

25th Ann camaro; certificate of destruction...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 07:46 PM

Re: 25th Ann camaro; certificate of destruction...

Originally Posted by Metaldrgn
Very nice. Glad to see a supporter
good stuff man
glad to see it has the z03 rpo, save that sucker

o, and camaro written on the seats is part of the "deluxe interior" option iirc
my camaro has it and i love it
makes it stand out a bit more
i know they had the option since atleast 87
Old 07-22-2004, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by thrift23
I'm in the same title situation as you are, so let me know if find out how to get a tile out of state or whatever you come up with.
I must have gotten at least 20 NOs since I started this endeavor almost a week ago. Today I got the answer I was looking for all along!!! YES! If the people, whether that be the insurance company, towing company, or whomever, send in a letter stating that they made a mistake and the car is repairable and not a total loss (not exactly sure of what phrase is used), it can be changed and the cert. of destructions can be erased!!!!!!!!!

Only one problem remains though…. It takes about 4-6 weeks for the new title to be issued and the old cert. to be taken out of the system. The guy from the salvage yard was ready to sell me the car so I don’t know why he wouldn’t again. He won’t be back till tomorrow though. I also won’t be able to get it on base until it clears and I can register it and title it in my name. I have to see if maybe I can buy it and leave it there and come by to work on it when I can or leave it at a friend’s house.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:03 PM

I've had around that many NO's since I've started my search about 2 weeks ago. Glad to see there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Hope everything works out man, and thanks for the update.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by thrift23
I've had around that many NO's since I've started my search about 2 weeks ago. Glad to see there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Hope everything works out man, and thanks for the update.
One thing I have found out through my years of working retail and in the military is never except your first or second answer as the full truth. Several companies I tried 3 or 4 times and finally someone gave me a name or something useful that lead me to where I am now. Don't give up is another thing that I was tought when I was young and the military instills in one's self. I did want to give up about the 3rd day in because I wasn't getting anywhere and it seemed so far away. That night I thought about it for a good hour and decided I would finish what I started. I'm glad though that I didn't find another camaro for sale while I was checking all this info out because I might not have gone through with it.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:16 PM

This car has never been in an accident. It was abandoned and the tow company got it. they called the salvage yard and asked them whether they wanted it for parts or to sell as a whole and selling by parts usually get's them more money. They have no idea this is a heritage edition or they would've realized they are losing money. Anyway, that's why they sent in a request for a cert. of destruction. yea, that's all!!! Parts! perfect body and it's going to be destroyed!!! I hate it. I am so close yet so far away from getting it again.

I have 2 steps left till I can get it and one of them is blocking me big time.

1. The towing company said they will NOT try and reverse it because the paperwork would take hours (which is BS I found out) and they got in trouble for doing that once before becauswe they were missing a form. I will try again monday, using a few different tactics, and hopefully change her mind. She was willing to tell me some info on how it was reversed, but she refused to do it. She kept saying make the salvage yard people do it, but they can't.

2. The auto salvage place has to agree to sell it to me and put a hatch on it before next week because the weather forecast show a lot of rain next week. He was ready and willing to sell it to me before so I don't see why he wouldn't sell it to me now. That's not at all to say he might try and just sell the parts.

That's basically it. If she says no again and I can't get ahold of her husband that I talked to another day, I will try to get an investigation started to see what they are hiding because that just doesn't sound right. Either that or they don't know what they are doing and shouldn't be in the business.

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 07-23-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:08 PM

Well, the guy finally gave in and is going to sell it to me for $1,400. I even told him right before that the car was worth $9,000-13,000 according to NADA. He said no at first, then I told him I was going to check it out for parts so I could see it one last time and when I came back he was willing to sell it to me. There was someone there that I guess saw the camaro when it first came in and knew there wasn't anything wrong with it. He didn't want to see it get crushed either and I think he talked to him after I left. I just hope it's worth it. I don't know how I am going to get this cert. fixed, but I figure I'll bug DMV some more until I get an answer. BTW, that guy knows where the original hatch is and can get it for me!!! I don't know if this is really worth it, but if nothing else it's worth a try. When I get it on a set of wheels and running, I will try and get a picture of it for you guys.

The people at the towing place won't help me out though, but I'm not finished yet...
Old 07-25-2004, 04:37 PM

Unhappy Re: 25th Ann camaro; certificate of destruction...

...looking at some of the laws, I don't know if I can buy it because I think that would make it the second reassignment which would mean I would have to destroy it and I know there is alot of other legal stuff I am missing from this. I don't want to get them in trouble especially if it does not get me any closer to getting the car.

I will have to talk to the towing company again to see if there might be any chance I can get them to try and reverse this thing if I work with them on it. First I have to figure out exactly what I am going to say though and how best to defend my grounds which I base this argument.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:42 PM

good luck man
keep us posted which i'm sure you will
Old 07-26-2004, 09:02 PM

Floida state chapter 713.78 subsection 11a states, "A certificate of
destruction, which authorizes the dismantling or destruction of the
vehicle or vessel described therein, shall be reassignable a maximum of
two times before dismantling or destruction of the vehicle shall be
required, and shall accompany the vehicle or vessel for which it is
issued, when such vehicle or vessel is sold for such purposes, in lieu of
a certificate of title." Doesn't that sound like this could never get
registered and titled ever again? One thing I never found in the laws was
a time frame in which it had to be destroyed in. On the actual
certificate of destruction, it says "I understand this form is to be kept
in my files for 3 years". Does that mean it goes away after 3 years or
just the paper certificate?

On the actual certificate (
cert. of destruction
) I see 2
things that might be loopholes thus far. The fact that on the middle line
it states "When a certificate of destruction has been issued, the
Department will refuse issuance of any certificate of title for that
vehicle" and on the top it says "State of Flordia, Department of highway
safety and motor vehicles..." which would lead me to believe that this
cert. is only good in florida and is up to the other states whether or not
they will title it because it's actualy got a "junk title", which I have
heard can be retitleable in some states and I could bring in a bill of
sale and a Affidavit or something (could lookup the laws in another state
to see what they needed). Then I would just probably never register it in
Florida and I would be good. Second is the fact that "department" is not defined in the laws that I was looking through (that I would find) and isn't explicitly defined on the certificate itself. It could just be a common sence thing though, but that's not cases are won...

I will try to get ahold of some law enforcement agencies that deal
directly with this kind of situation tomorrow or when I get time so I can
see if they know any loopholes and legal ways to do this if any.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:04 PM

Lightbulb Re: 25th Ann camaro; certificate of destruction...

Gheeez, there was something that was right in front of my face and I didn't even see it till now. I've read it over and over, but didn't really think anything of it. It might be a loophole! On the certificate of destruction there are 3 ways of destroying it:

1. crushing it
2. cutting into several sections
3. dismantling it

The first 2 ways sound so horrible that the 3rd doesn't make sence. To make it dismantled; I think all that would have to be done is strip it. Maybe if I get all the parts taken off and/or just make it inoperable, the certificate would be fulfilled and then maybe I can title it after a state inspection when I rebuild it. Maybe not in florida, but somewhere else. With the hours I've been working, I can't talk to DMV or anyone to find out the specifics on the situation. I will try in a few days to get ahold of them and see what they say.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Metaldrgn
Gheeez, there was something that was right in front of my face and I didn't even see it till now. I've read it over and over, but didn't really think anything of it. It might be a loophole! On the certificate of destruction there are 3 ways of destroying it:

1. crushing it
2. cutting into several sections
3. dismantling it

The first 2 ways sound so horrible that the 3rd doesn't make sence. To make it dismantled; I think all that would have to be done is strip it. Maybe if I get all the parts taken off and/or just make it inoperable, the certificate would be fulfilled and then maybe I can title it after a state inspection when I rebuild it. Maybe not in florida, but somewhere else. With the hours I've been working, I can't talk to DMV or anyone to find out the specifics on the situation. I will try in a few days to get ahold of them and see what they say.
That does sound like a possibilty

and I am posting just for the updates

good luck, I would hate to see a solid third gen crushed
Old 07-29-2004, 07:46 PM

Things are looking up!! I will post more info tomorrow when I get a comformation.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:19 PM

Even if you can rebuild it, the title you will be issued is a ASPT title where it is considered custom construction or assembled from parts and that will make it nearly worthless 'cause they replace the VIN thus rendering the fact that it used to be a Heritage Edition of little importance to value. I went through all of this (in Florida) about two years ago right when they changed all of these laws. The DMV will no longer issue ASPT titles to vehicles that ride on frames that were from a certificate of destruction, at least that was what they told me. Almost every state is in a datbase with FL now to keep these cars off the road. Back when I went through this there were 7 states not involved, Kentucky, Both Carolina's and a couple of others but that may have changed by now.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:16 PM

ive been watching this thread for a while now and realized I havent wished you good luck yet. Get that thing back on the road!!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the support

it's looks like I can reg it again in cali!!!! there still is a possibility that they might not, but it's unlikely. I still need to go back one more time to the tow yard and see if they will send in the letter and affidavit (general sworn statement if you didn't know) and get a rebuildable salvage title and the state will send an inspector to the salvage yard to check out the vehicle to reissue a rebuildable title (not rebuilt yet). It is perfectly legal.

Yes I am buying it!

Quick Reply: 25th Ann camaro; certificate of destruction...