General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Does anyone know what goes here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:50 PM

Does anyone know what goes here?

[IMG][/IMG]Hey everyone, today is really the first real chance i have had to begin going over the 94 Z i just bought and i have a couple of questions. As some of you have read, my Harmonic Balancer and Dampener fell off within 2 miles of driving it from where i purchased it. I finally had it hauled to my house last night and i have noticed a couple things missing from the motor. One image is of my entire motor and the other shows a white arrow pointing to a missing hose that just has electrical tape over it. Can anyone tell me what the white arrow is? Also, looking at the other image, can anyone see anything else missing? I know the AC drier is gone, but anything else stand out. Also, when i push the new crank hub and balancer back on the crank, is there any certain position it should be or does it matter? I am gonna buy a service manual for it but im just curious. The motor starts and runs perfect without the balancer on it, but i have not run it but just enough to pull it onto the ramps. Thanks for all the help guys and gals![IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Stephen68; 08-03-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Re: Does anyone know what goes here?

Let's start with the harmonic damper. That's all it is, a damper, not a balancer. Doesn't matter where it goes on the crank, but if you want the line on the hub/arrow on the damper to indicate TDC you have to follow Shoebox's info. The damper only fits on the three hub arms in one position, and if you have the line on the hub at TDC the arrow on the damper will be at TDC.

Note that if you don't resolve the issue of why your hub was so loose it fell off the crank, it won't mater where you orient the arrow because the hub is going to slip on the crank.

Look through Shoebox's cam install guide for the hub/damper install procedure. If you get a hub that is as tight as it's supposed to be, don't use your new (stock) crank bolt to pull the hub on - you will most likely strip the threads in the crank.

4th Gen LT1 F-body Cam Install

Your bottom photo - Appears someone removed the PCV system air supply hose. Shoebox has a photo, but his is a bit different because he has Corvette composite valve covers. The steel F-Body valve covers have a hole at the top/rear of the passenger valve cover, with a grommet in the hole, a 90* plastic elbow for the hose from the throttle body to connect to. Someone may have installed a breather/filter in the hole on the passenger valve cover. Hopefully they didn't just plug this hole up because it will leave the PCV valve ineffective.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Let's start with the harmonic damper. That's all it is, a damper, not a balancer. Doesn't matter where it goes on the crank, but if you want the line on the hub/arrow on the damper to indicate TDC you have to follow Shoebox's info. The damper only fits on the three hub arms in one position, and if you have the line on the hub at TDC the arrow on the damper will be at TDC.

Note that if you don't resolve the issue of why your hub was so loose it fell off the crank, it won't mater where you orient the arrow because the hub is going to slip on the crank.

Look through Shoebox's cam install guide for the hub/damper install procedure. If you get a hub that is as tight as it's supposed to be, don't use your new (stock) crank bolt to pull the hub on - you will most likely strip the threads in the crank.

4th Gen LT1 F-body Cam Install

Your bottom photo - Appears someone removed the PCV system air supply hose. Shoebox has a photo, but his is a bit different because he has Corvette composite valve covers. The steel F-Body valve covers have a hole at the top/rear of the passenger valve cover, with a grommet in the hole, a 90* plastic elbow for the hose from the throttle body to connect to. Someone may have installed a breather/filter in the hole on the passenger valve cover. Hopefully they didn't just plug this hole up because it will leave the PCV valve ineffective.
thanks for the help Injuneer....sorry for the late reply but was busy with other stuff on the car and forgot about this post...
Old 08-20-2013, 01:44 PM

Injuneer, should i just replace the PCV valve and hose from the valve cover to the intake or will it make any difference?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Administrator

The PCV valve is on the driver side of the intake manifold. Shake it. If it rattles, it's OK. If it doesn't, it's dirty - try cleaning it or replacing it. A clogged PCV valve can cause pressure buildup in the crankcase, and the accumulation of water vapor in the crankcase that will condense and drop into the oil, and form some nasty acid compounds.

The PCV system is a "closed" system. The air that flows through the throttle body, through the hose to the valve cover, and eventually into the intake manifold via the PCV valve has been through the MAF sensor, so the PCM is keeping track of that air, and providing the fuel to go with it. If you delete the hose from the throttle body to the valve cover, you will pull in air that hasn't been through the MAF sensor, and the PCM will have to adjust the fuel using the long term fuel corrections.

Just replace the system in its stock configuration.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:32 PM

Do ya see a schrader valve to purge air from the coolant system?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Administrator

The air is purged from the cooling system using two brass screw bleeder valves on the t'stat housing and a heater hose. No Schrader valve.

See photo, courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/bleeders.jpg
Old 08-20-2013, 10:39 PM

The PCV valve is on the driver side of the intake manifold. Shake it. If it rattles, it's OK. If it doesn't, it's dirty - try cleaning it or replacing it. A clogged PCV valve can cause pressure buildup in the crankcase, and the accumulation of water vapor in the crankcase that will condense and drop into the oil, and form some nasty acid compounds.

The PCV system is a "closed" system. The air that flows through the throttle body, through the hose to the valve cover, and eventually into the intake manifold via the PCV valve has been through the MAF sensor, so the PCM is keeping track of that air, and providing the fuel to go with it. If you delete the hose from the throttle body to the valve cover, you will pull in air that hasn't been through the MAF sensor, and the PCM will have to adjust the fuel using the long term fuel corrections.

Just replace the system in its stock configuration.

Thanks Injuneer, maybe that could be part of my motor running rich all the time...i will put it back to factory...Thanks again buddy, i really appreciate your input!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 PM

The air is purged from the cooling system using two brass screw bleeder valves on the t'stat housing and a heater hose. No Schrader valve.

See photo, courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/bleeders.jpg
Injuneer, can u tell me the name of the sensor right below the Throttle Position Sensor i believe....mine is not plugged in and i think someone may have cut it off ...
Old 08-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

It's the IAC valve.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
It's the IAC valve.

Thanks GaryDoug, i assume that it does need to be plugged in then?.....
Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Yes. It controls the idle speed.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 PM

Oh, yea...that's what I meant Fred. The intake elbow must be hidin' the one on the thermostat housing.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:40 PM

Yes. It controls the idle speed.
Thanks guys, now if i can just find the darn plugin that goes to it...
Old 08-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

According to the service manual there should be 4 wires: light blue/black, light blue/white, light green/black, and light green/white.