General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

1997 Firebird with Headlight Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:51 PM

1997 Firebird with Headlight Mystery

I have a very odd problem with a 1997 Firebird. Recently the headlights were requiring that I switch them off and then back on a couple time to get the lights up and on. Keep in mind I have no motor run-on or grinding occuring. Anyway, now the problem is much worse. If the car is off, the headlights operate perfectly. However, if I start the car the headlights come on and I cannot shut them off. Occasionally, they will stay down, but the lights are on in the closed position. I have checked all fuses and cleaned all available connectors - including on the two connectors on the control module. I cannot locate the fusible links, the main headlight module, or the actuator relays. Is ANYONE familiar with this problem? I am eight hours into this and frustrated as hell.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Administrator

Worn gears can cause an amazing assortment of problems. Brent Franker has a good writeup on the problems related to the headlights. He also sells a replacement metal gear. But read through the entire page.... the "free fix" info is all the way down at the bottom. Scroll up toward the top to the "must read" description of various opetrating problems.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl....htm#FreeGuide
Old 07-22-2010, 09:56 PM

Considered that

I thought about that, but both lights at the exact same time? And I already replaced one of the motors a few years ago (new).

Do you know if there is a relay behind the dash at center? I heard a lot of clicking there today during one of the test drives. Is there a handy source for diagrams and locating each of the components (relays, modules, fusable links... ) so that I can check each and their connectors?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:59 PM

Also

They function completely fine all the time as long as the key isn't in the ignition and turned to ON.... That is one of the most baffling issues in my mind.

20 hours into this and have gotten not one step forward. !! Frustrating.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:06 PM

I'm assuming you have checked all of the grounds for the headlight wiring? I don't remember all of the specific places but check the easy stuff first. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:55 PM

Is there any chance you have a wiring diagram? Do you know the location of the fusible links? The actuator relays? The headlight module relay? The headlight relays? Etc.. had some odd clicking at the center of the dash when some wierdness occured. Have half the dash apart ONLY because nobody can seem to let me know where all the relays and such are located. Not on the firewall of fenders as I expected. BCM is under passenger dash in a very tight location and seems to indicate that the factory made some mods to that harness. They have added some diodes and have tapped into some additional powere lines. Odd as hell for factory mods, but I've seen similar things before.

The newest oddity... if the headlights are down (the new the norm with the car on and the headlights are still down and on) when the car is on.. hitting the turnsignals now turns them on/up. And the light switch still does nothing.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:33 PM

More info

Noticed today that if the headlights are down/off, and I activate a turn signal, they go up and cannot be turned off with the switch. Pulled the 15a turn signal fuse and everything works fine. Put the fuse back in and all goes to hell again. Is this more likely an indication of a bad BCM or something else entirely? The turn signals work fine. I don't expect a short in that loop. Getting more confusing the minute.

Is the Laytime Running Lights Module part of teh BCM? OR stand-alone? What about the Hazzard Control Module? Are these each separate entities?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:50 PM

SOLVED! FINALLY ! !

Replaced the Headlight Control Module. POINTLESS! Changed nothing.
Disassembled Body Control Module. POINTLESS! No bad contacts or blown circuits.

Decided to pop out a mystery module behind the radio. ? Daytime Running Lights Module? Took it apart and found some odd corrosion on the PCB. Cleaned it up and it now basically works. The daytime running lights flicker, but other than that, no more headlight craziness.

Thanks to all for the help.

Hopefully this information can help someone else with similar problems.