General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

1995 Z28 needs an a/c compressor,gulp!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 PM

1995 Z28 needs an a/c compressor,gulp!

My a/c recently quit working. While it was still working a few month ago,one day the air suddenly went from cold to not so cold.A half hour later,the compressor or its clutch started a squeeky/rattle sound,that's when I turned it off.After that,it would take about twenty minutes before the sound came on,and it would cool,but not all that well.This went on for weeks before it wouldn't even come on at all.I put a can of R134 into it,but it still wouldn't come on.A few days later,a push on the schrader valve showed there was nothing in the system at all.I did have some R134 in it last year that had a dye to show leaks,and a few months ago I noticed some green matter below the compressor while it was on a lift. So,this is now and I'm planning on buying a rebuilt compressor,an orifice tube,and a new receiver/dryer. Since I have lost R134 and an undetermined amount of pag oil,I would like to know what amount total the system should have. But,mostly,I need advice on ways to install the compressor! I have my car up on a jackstand,and I was under it for a while today trying to figure out a "how to do it", but am still in shock. I would like to do it without removing the radiator or alternator. I have searched the net, but not much out there for this car. I NEED HELP HERE!! All useful advice will be highly appreciated! thanks,edman
Old 07-20-2011, 01:54 PM

Re: 1995 Z28 needs an a/c compressor,gulp!

eBay, brand new GM unit, 175 shipped to your door!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 PM

Re: 1995 Z28 needs an a/c compressor,gulp!

I feel your pain man, I just had same thing happen to my 94. As far as the procedure, make sure the system is empty which it sounds like you checked it. I did remove my alternator, which is really not difficult, and also removed my power steering pump from its mounting bracket, left hoses hooked up and set it aside out of way, it really gives you more wrenching room. I also removed antisway bar underneath for more clearance, you probly dont have to do that , but again, wrenching room. My air pump and piping has been removed, if you havent done that, you may want to remove the pipe from ps exhaust. I unhooked my battery for so you dont short something out, then unhooked the hoses from compressor and tied off out of the way. Remove your compressor, check all your wire hookups , mine had some wear and tear on them that i fixed. You will want to buy some flushing solution and flush out your lines, evaporator, etc, etc. Follow directions on the solution, make sure you get it all cleaned out. Then install is basically reverse of disassembly. Its tight, but take your time, make sure you clean all fittings, replace all orings using the proper ones for ac systems, add recommended oil in correct amount to compressor before you install it(look at shoeboxes site, i think he has the specs there), replace dryer and oriface tube, check your belt why you have it off and replace it too if its getting worn. Then take it to a shop and have the system evacuated properly and then recharged. It shouldnt cost you more than 100 bucks for that, think what you saved by doing everything else yourself. I had a estimate of 1500 from a dealer to do this job, I did it for under 400. I think I covered everything, if I didnt help him out forum members. Good luck!!