Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 F-Body Technical Discussion > General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #1

1995 Firebird Lowbeam Issue

I have a 95 firebird and have been trying to track down this issue for weeks, here is the backstory:

-I bought the car from a guy who put some weird aftermarket lights in, they were not HID's, just looked like blue bulbs. He also changed the connector at each headlamp. When you turned on the lights, the high beam indicator was partially lit (lowbeam setting), when you turn the highbeams on the indicator goes full bright.

-So I cut out the old connectors and wired in new gm ones, and installed new stock style lights. The issue was still there, at night the low beams don't light up anything, and the brights seem to be just bright enough to be low beams.

-I checked the grounds at the connector and they're fine, I used a voltmeter and with the low beams on, the low beam circuit shows 14v at the connector, and approximately 7v on the highbeam circuit.

-I now have even changed the highbeam switch on the column and still have the same issue.

Any ideas on what I should check next? Should the highbeam circuit be getting 7v even though the stalk is on the lowbeam setting?
I'm at my wits end here

Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
cdnturboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Premium Member

Garage
Re: 1995 Firebird Lowbeam Issue

If you are measuring 7vdc reference to chassis ground on any lamp, that means the current is going through something else to get there. I think you have both connectors wired wrong. It looks like the current on the low beam circuit is going through both high and low beam filaments in series to ground, making them too dim. That would explain the 7v at one terminal and the partially lit high beam indicator. Then when you put the switch to high beams the low beam filaments alone get the current. It seems that all 3 wires are going to the wrong pins on each lamp. Right now, the low beam filament terminals are going to ground; the high beam filament terminals are going to the low beam circuit; and the ground/common terminals on the lamps are going to the high beam circuit.

Here is a very crude sketch

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 07-31-2013 at 05:00 PM.
GaryDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

I wired everything up as per the pics I found of the connector online. Tomorrow ill unpin the connector and start trying different positions

Thanks for the help

Edit....I'm assuming both connectors should have the exact same wire/pin locations correct?

Last edited by cdnturboz; 07-31-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Premium Member

Garage

Yes, they are the same.
Speaking about the online diagrams, I tried finding some good ones a few months ago and pretty much failed.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #5

Well you were 100% right! Ground needed to be switched across, and low beam wire switched. It's so nice to have lights.

Thanks again for your help
Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 PM

Reply Post New Thread