General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

1994 LT1 Overheating problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 03:25 PM

1994 LT1 Overheating problems

I have ben down the road and back with this thing dont know where to turn now . Heres what i have done ,Changed t stat ,flushed coolant,changed both coolant fan relays ,checked for leeks and still have the over heating issue ,,not to the boiling point but still way over what it normaly runs .I have just recently had to rebuild the A/T,and also got rid of the cats ,but dont think that had anything to do with the overheating issue ,the car is all stock with about 98,000 miles and besides a lil need of TLC runs like a champ (except the overheating)one mechanic told me I need to change compleet wireing harness ,dont see the need for that ,the fans both come on ,but it just seams to wait till the last second b4 they do ,,any help is appreciated
Old 07-16-2005, 04:14 PM

Re: 1994 LT1 Overheating problems

Is it throwing any codes? If not try bleeding the cooling system by using the bleeder screws on the upper radiator hoses.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:19 PM

My car was running hot up to 3/4 on the guage.
I took the upper rad bracket off and after pulling off the plastic cover I saw that the upper 3rd of my condenser was totally plugged up with road debris and other crud.
After cleaning it up and using a blowgun the car runs a lot cooler but I have a new condenser I may still instal, as the air is better now but not ice cold like it used to be.
Check that as its easy and won't cost you anything to clean it up.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:25 PM

What temps are you seeing?

Have you checked for debris in front of the radiator as suggested?

Is the front air dam intact?
Old 07-17-2005, 12:15 AM

Funny that this post is up... My coolant issue came back for me as well... I have an electric water pump and when I have the car started and the pump running with the radiator cap on the coolant in the radiator overfill/check coolant area is bubbling like a hot tub. It seems as though there is tons of air into the system, however when I remove the radiator cap the bubbling immediatly goes away. Its like when the radiator system is pressurized there is air being induced into the radiator system somehow.

Quick Question,

Where is that hose that goes underneath the battery tray supposed to go into? I plugged that hose into the radiator right by the radiator cap.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Silvershark
Funny that this post is up... My coolant issue came back for me as well... I have an electric water pump and when I have the car started and the pump running with the radiator cap on the coolant in the radiator overfill/check coolant area is bubbling like a hot tub. It seems as though there is tons of air into the system, however when I remove the radiator cap the bubbling immediatly goes away. Its like when the radiator system is pressurized there is air being induced into the radiator system somehow.

Quick Question,

Where is that hose that goes underneath the battery tray supposed to go into? I plugged that hose into the radiator right by the radiator cap.
Maybe you have a bad cap that is letting pressure into the remove reservoir.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:47 PM

A Bad radiator cap.... Possible I guess... However when I went to tear down my engine the coolant temps were fine and the coolant didnt bubble at all.

Could the electric pump cause the coolant to bubble in the resevior if the temp of the engine isnt 160 or more? I have a 160tstat and I was thinking that if the tstat isnt open, and the waterpump is trying to pump all that coolant around maybe it's only place to go is in the resevior area?