General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

1993 Formula road race recipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:34 PM

1993 Formula road race recipe

Hi, I am a newb here and I'm looking for some overall performance advice. I think that the question I have is general enough that it doesn't fit in any of the more specific discussions.

I have a '93 Formula M6 which is stock except an SLP ram air hood and a Borla cat back system. The car is mostly driven on the street (in the last year, mostly by my son), but 1-3 times a year I take it to one of Michigan's road courses (Grattan, Gingerman or Waterford).

The plan is to keep the current LT1 but to make some prudent mods.

I would like to start on a program of generally upgrading the car to improve track performance without completely losing streetability. My target is 360 hp. I have a list of upgrades that I am considering. I am looking for two things: first, suggestions regarding what I have included or failed to include on my list, and second, specific suggestions as to which components I should select.

Thanks in advance, and here is the list:
  • Heads
  • Cam
  • Intake
  • Headers
  • Subframe connectors
  • Tower brace
  • Shocks and struts
  • Brake rotors
  • Brake pads
  • Shifter (enough crappy 2-3 shifts!)

Like anyone, I don't want to spend money unnecessarily, but my main goal right now is getting a balanced and effective package. I have received some suggestions as to specific components by a few other people, but I haven't made up my mind on anything yet.

Thanks!

Norm Witte
Old 10-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Are you looking for 360HP at the flywheel, or at the rear wheels?

What are the class limits on modifications, if any?

You will probably get the best answers by seperating the questions and posting each group on the correct forum - "LT1 Based Engine Tech", "Suspension, Chassis and Brakes", and "Drivetrain". Then go to "Auto-Cross and Road Racing" forum to integrate the results.

I'll offer a suggestion of the Pro 5.0 shifter as about the best for the T56.

Do you know which T56 tranny and rear axle ratio you have? The 93's are the only year that did not use the MN6 (2.66:1 first gear) and 3.42:1 (GU6) rear axle ratio. They have either the M28 (3.36:1 first gear/wide ratio) and 2.73:1 (GU2) rear axle, or the M29 (2.97:1 first gear/close ratio) and 3.23:1 (GU5) rear axle.

For brakes, consider using the LS1 front brake upgrade, if the class permits that modification.

Minor point, but no "struts" on a 4th Gen. The fronts are coil-over-shocks, with unequal length upper and lower A-Arms.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Are you looking for 360HP at the flywheel, or at the rear wheels?

What are the class limits on modifications, if any?

You will probably get the best answers by seperating the questions and posting each group on the correct forum - "LT1 Based Engine Tech", "Suspension, Chassis and Brakes", and "Drivetrain". Then go to "Auto-Cross and Road Racing" forum to integrate the results.

I'll offer a suggestion of the Pro 5.0 shifter as about the best for the T56.

Do you know which T56 tranny and rear axle ratio you have? The 93's are the only year that did not use the MN6 (2.66:1 first gear) and 3.42:1 (GU6) rear axle ratio. They have either the M28 (3.36:1 first gear/wide ratio) and 2.73:1 (GU2) rear axle, or the M29 (2.97:1 first gear/close ratio) and 3.23:1 (GU5) rear axle.

For brakes, consider using the LS1 front brake upgrade, if the class permits that modification.

Minor point, but no "struts" on a 4th Gen. The fronts are coil-over-shocks, with unequal length upper and lower A-Arms.
Fred, thanks for the response. I should clarify that I am not participating in any competitive events, so there are no class restrictions. I can do whatever I want.

My car has the M29/GU5 trans and rear axle, and is the only 4th gen in existence with struts .

Norm