General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

[Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 12:35 AM

Re: [Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
What is the average price difference between a say 96-97 z28 to a 2000-02 Z28? Also how much faster is a LS1 then a LT1, is it worth the price double to get a 00-02 camaro Z28 then a 96-97 Z28? can some one give me specs, like 0-60 for LS1 and 0-60 in a LT1, also quater mile ET's. Thanks just wondering cuz i will need a loan to buy either and i will deffinitly get one or the other. also maybe some stock dyno tests comparing each other would be kool thanks guys.
I read a few posts form this thread here and there,sorry that I didnt get it all and if I repeat something already said I apolagize in advance.

If you are in the market for one or the other get an LS1. I have owned many LT1's and still currently own one and I also own an LS1.
One thing I wanted to let you know it costs about the same to mod either or. I have modded both and it cost nearly the same .The only difference is the LS1 is way way easier to work on.
My LS1 busted out a 13.3 my first time at the track stock to the filter on street tires. If I would have thrown some dr's on it I could have gotten a 12.
Camming an LS1 is twice as easy not to mention if you put the right cam in an LS1 and get a good tune youll be faster then any head/cam LT1. And before you LT1 guys get all worked up I said the right cam not just any cam.
Both cars are very reliable. The only problem I ever had with my LS1 is a electric window motor burned up when I first bought it the clutch was weak. My previous LT1 lasted over 200K with no problems besides average maint.
Find a 6 speed LS1 and take it for a spin. Im sure youll make up your mind after the first drive. Have fun and either way youll like either LS1 or LT1 as they are both lots of fun.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:57 PM

Re: [Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

Originally Posted by robb4964
I read a few posts form this thread here and there,sorry that I didnt get it all and if I repeat something already said I apolagize in advance.

If you are in the market for one or the other get an LS1. I have owned many LT1's and still currently own one and I also own an LS1.
One thing I wanted to let you know it costs about the same to mod either or. I have modded both and it cost nearly the same .The only difference is the LS1 is way way easier to work on.
My LS1 busted out a 13.3 my first time at the track stock to the filter on street tires. If I would have thrown some dr's on it I could have gotten a 12.
Camming an LS1 is twice as easy not to mention if you put the right cam in an LS1 and get a good tune youll be faster then any head/cam LT1. And before you LT1 guys get all worked up I said the right cam not just any cam.
Both cars are very reliable. The only problem I ever had with my LS1 is a electric window motor burned up when I first bought it the clutch was weak. My previous LT1 lasted over 200K with no problems besides average maint.
Find a 6 speed LS1 and take it for a spin. Im sure youll make up your mind after the first drive. Have fun and either way youll like either LS1 or LT1 as they are both lots of fun.
test drove 2-3 6-speed LS1's before I got my LT1 A4 both are a great ride... but I just couldnt beat getting a stock LS1 for 9-10k when I got my LT1 for $4k with 6k of parts
Old 05-14-2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gun5
test drove 2-3 6-speed LS1's before I got my LT1 A4 both are a great ride... but I just couldnt beat getting a stock LS1 for 9-10k when I got my LT1 for $4k with 6k of parts
Thats cool. Although I just bought and sold a 98 formula in great condition for 5k and I just passed up a deal on a 98 LS1 for 3800$. Cheap LS1's are out there But theres nothing wrong with an LT1. I love my 97.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:05 PM

Hey every one!

Well I just wanted to give my take on the LS1 vs. LT1 topic. I tend to rait the cars I like by How Fast is it & How Cheap is it. LOL. The faster it is in relationship to how cheap it is the better it raits on my scale. There are many other factors I loock at to but performens & price are the 2 big factors. LOL.

Well I just bought a 1994 Z28 with the LT1 & M6-speed trany! I could not be happyer. The thing is very afordable & just smokes most the cars I see every day. There are a few very exspensive cars that could get me by a little but there owners are usaly prity embaresed when a $4000 car holds its own with a $40000 car. LOL!

Well I would like to give you all some links to 3 web-sites that convensed me that the LT-1 car was the right car for me. They are all Car & Driver magazine test results.

This first one has specs for the LS-1 hard top with the M6 trany. http://www.phy.duke.edu/~hartley/iroc/z28vs911.html

This is specs for a LS-1 convertibal with the A4 trany.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...ies-page5.html

This last one is my car with the LT-1 hard top & M6 trany.
http://www.fastcoolcars.com/z28_vs_gt.htm

Ok you can loock at the test results & draw your own conclutions. Here is my oppinyen. There are many people that can affored a newer LS1 car and they will probely say it is so much better then the old LT1. Well the test show this

...............................LT1..............LS 1
.........0-60 time.........5.4...............5.2
....1/4 mile time........14.1..............13.8
...1/4 mile speed.......101mph.........104mph
...Top end speed......156 mph.........158mph

Well as exspected the newer car does have the edge but the results are so close that I would say that the cars performed prity much the same. NADA blue book says that the LT1 car can be bought for about $3000 less than the LS1 car. I am not saying that the older car is better than the newer car. If you have the monney and want to spend it then get the newer car but if you want the most bang for the buck then a good condition LT1 is a excilent choise.

I hope this helps you on disiding wich car is right for you.

Last edited by Racer-42; 01-23-2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spaceing is messed up
Old 01-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Kaj

I've had two bone stock LS-1 cars with low miles bought for ($12-$14,000) and I never really was pleased with them, both cars seemed to act up a lot out of nowhere (which I don't get cuz I prefer the newer front clip).

For some strange reason the two stock lt1's that I've owned have always gotten with the program and oddly seemed possessed. It just depends on preference I guess. I'm all about cast-iron blocks, I'm cursed with aluminum blocks for some reason

I buy all my f-bodies from older fellas because they tend to take extremely good care of such vehicles. My 96z I recently bought with 28,000 miles looks practically brand new
Old 01-25-2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Racer-42
Hey every one!

Well I just wanted to give my take on the LS1 vs. LT1 topic. I tend to rait the cars I like by How Fast is it & How Cheap is it. LOL. The faster it is in relationship to how cheap it is the better it raits on my scale. There are many other factors I loock at to but performens & price are the 2 big factors. LOL.

Well I just bought a 1994 Z28 with the LT1 & M6-speed trany! I could not be happyer. The thing is very afordable & just smokes most the cars I see every day. There are a few very exspensive cars that could get me by a little but there owners are usaly prity embaresed when a $4000 car holds its own with a $40000 car. LOL!

Well I would like to give you all some links to 3 web-sites that convensed me that the LT-1 car was the right car for me. They are all Car & Driver magazine test results.

This first one has specs for the LS-1 hard top with the M6 trany. http://www.phy.duke.edu/~hartley/iroc/z28vs911.html

This is specs for a LS-1 convertibal with the A4 trany.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...ies-page5.html

This last one is my car with the LT-1 hard top & M6 trany.
http://www.fastcoolcars.com/z28_vs_gt.htm

Ok you can loock at the test results & draw your own conclutions. Here is my oppinyen. There are many people that can affored a newer LS1 car and they will probely say it is so much better then the old LT1. Well the test show this

Well as exspected the newer car does have the edge but the results are so close that I would say that the cars performed prity much the same. NADA blue book says that the LT1 car can be bought for about $3000 less than the LS1 car. I am not saying that the older car is better than the newer car. If you have the monney and want to spend it then get the newer car but if you want the most bang for the buck then a good condition LT1 is a excilent choise.

I hope this helps you on disiding wich car is right for you.
The numbers posted above are conservative for a LS1. Most run mid-low 13's.

On average LS1's are nearly a full second faster in the quarter mile.
They really dont compare as close as you think.

You should have based your decision off driving both instead of readin a magazine publication.
Although I am glad you like your LT1 .
I just sold my 99 and kept my 97 only to have it spin a rod bearing soon after the hotcam install.

My LT1 is soon to be an LS1 mangler though.I already have a 355 with forged pistons and an eagle crank. Im waiting on my tax return so I can order my lloyd elliot stage 3 heads/cam. LT1's can be bad *** too.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:09 PM

Thumbs up lt1 power

i always hear that the ls1 is more dependable then the lt1 i would have to diagree with that because i have 95 lt1 with 165,000 miles on it and it still runs like it came out of the factory yesterday the only thing i agree with is the automatic transmission is not a good tranny but the t-56 on an lt1 is one of the best trannys and i always hear that ls1s run low 13's stock i have to disagree with that also i have raced many stock ls1s with my car stock with just an k&n and would leave them behind and im reading that ls1s catch lt1s at top end but when i would race up to 120mph the ls1 was never gunna catch me so i dont know if a have a freak lt1 like people call them but i would never in my life trade my lt1 for a ls1 but thats just me
Old 04-11-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by lt1greenz28
i always hear that the ls1 is more dependable then the lt1 i would have to diagree with that because i have 95 lt1 with 165,000 miles on it and it still runs like it came out of the factory yesterday the only thing i agree with is the automatic transmission is not a good tranny but the t-56 on an lt1 is one of the best trannys and i always hear that ls1s run low 13's stock i have to disagree with that also i have raced many stock ls1s with my car stock with just an k&n and would leave them behind and im reading that ls1s catch lt1s at top end but when i would race up to 120mph the ls1 was never gunna catch me so i dont know if a have a freak lt1 like people call them but i would never in my life trade my lt1 for a ls1 but thats just me
Why would you disagree that the LT1 is more dependable than the LS1 when you only seem to have experience with an LT1? That makes no sense.

Even a freak LT1 would get murder by a stock LS1. K&N filter The LS1 is a full second faster. My friend had an LT1 Trans Am for two years. At no point could he ever run me down with it. At any speed. Hell, he openly admitted that my car was a lot faster. Only on the internet do I seem to find LT1 owners come together to gather for a denial-fest/pat-on-the-back.

I hear the LS1 fbodies are gonna be able to beat the LS3 5th gens, despite having a 70+ horsepower deficit. And if the LT1 beats LS1s, I guess by that math that a 16 year old LT1 will likely be able to smack around a new Camaro.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Racer-42
Thats a pretty weak time for an LS1 car. And they have the top speed wrong as well. Fuel shut-off for an LS1 car is 162, and the car will run it's way up to fuel shut-off.

Can't trust the magazines to get anything right it seems.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:50 PM

yeah i have only had experience with an lt1 but i cant see how an ls1 would be more dependable then my lt1 if it never breaks downs? so how can an ls1 be more dependable?? yeah i keep on reading that my lt1 should get murdered by an ls1 then how come it never happened?? im not saying ls1s are slow because they are not close to being slow i have raced many ls1s and i have beaten more then i lost to and the people that i beat were people like you that couldnt believe my slow peice of s*** 15 year old car was smoking there unbeatable ls1s yeah maybe you beat your friends lt1 but guess what thats not my lt1 when i would beat a ls1 they would stand with there mouths open couldnt believe i won yeah you can say whatever you want about lt1s i can care less what you think because you dont know me and i dont know you but i would love to put your 2000 camaro z28 convertible-black on black to the test see if your ls1 can back it up against my lt1 i gaurentee you would be suprised
Old 04-12-2009, 01:03 PM

Even a freak LT1 would get murder by a stock LS1. K&N filter The LS1 is a full second faster. My friend had an LT1 Trans Am for two years. At no point could he ever run me down with it. At any speed. Hell, he openly admitted that my car was a lot faster. Only on the internet do I seem to find LT1 owners come together to gather for a denial-fest/pat-on-the-back.

I hear the LS1 fbodies are gonna be able to beat the LS3 5th gens, despite having a 70+ horsepower deficit. And if the LT1 beats LS1s, I guess by that math that a 16 year old LT1 will likely be able to smack around a new Camaro.
the ls1 is a full second faster according to who?? you?? comparing a ls3 to a lt1 come on guy you say a 70 hp difference between a ls1 and ls3 haha its more like 100 hp+ how much hp do think an ls1 has?? no im not ever gunna say a 4th gen lt1 can even keep up with a stock 5th gen ls3 at any speed but guess what an lt1 can beat an ls1 because guess what i prove it every time me and an ls1 line up lol its always real depressing when my crappy lt1 that i payed $2000 for can smoke a ls1 that costs $8,000+
Old 04-12-2009, 03:06 PM

LT1 or LS1 more dependable than the other?? Not sure how anyone could measure that, I guess because some get frustrated with the opti-crap..but I've got well over 100k miles on my LT4 truck's opti, and had over 100k on my LT1 TA opti when I replaced it during a cam swap. My LS1 has less than 30k miles on it and already had to replace a bad coil on it..my mom's Northstar caddy had 2 bad coils on it in less than 30k miles, same ignition as the LS1...so you make your own judgement as to which is more reliable.
I own 2 LTx powered vehicles and one LS1. Stock for stock, the LS1 has a broader power band, the torque is right there at very low rpms and there's no doubt that the heads breathe better than LT1's, a stock LS1 produces more power than a stock LT1...which is better..the LS1 is a great design, I like them both for different reasons and both can be made to be faster than the other just depends what parts you throw at it...but both my wife's and my daily drivers are LTx powered, and plan to put another 100k on both of them before switching to something different.