General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

[Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 08:25 PM

Re: LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

The LS1 cars are faster out of the box and an older LT1 car is a more affordable performance option. The LT1 does have some often over-hyped reliability issues (like the opti...and pretty much the rest of the ignition system too) but so does the LS1 (piston slap, oil consumption). It really comes down to what you can afford and personal preference. You should buy what YOU like not what people on an enthusiast web site like. I would not worry one bit about honing or which setup has the maximum horsepower potential just yet.

Every car is different and no two cars dyno exactly the same, there are too many variables. Like the air temp, condition of the drivetrain, mileage, make of the dyno, etc.

One last piece of advice: Be careful of what "car people" tell you. Their facts and first person accounts are usually either wrong or greatly exaggerated. You are at a great place for information...but it's up to you to filter the junk from the good stuff.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 PM

I know very little about the ls1 but I read something to the effect that an ls1 has very little room for cylinder bore because of the cylinder wall thickness. I would call your local machine shop and talk to them about it they would know best. also for you with the performance there was actually an article written by I believe chevy hi performance mag it was called ls1 v.lt1 shot out I believe. ill try and see if I can find the magazine I kept it or try to find it online and get it up on here. but im going with an lt1 cause I got to believe the lt1 is a stronger motor mabe its a miss conception in my mind but aluminum is a softer metal the steel and cast aluminum is very fradgel not the cast steel isnt but not to the same degree I believe this is part of the reason the lsX is 6 bolt mains and I would imagine scoring the cylinder walls would be a lot easier but again I know little about the lsX motors
Old 04-04-2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by shadydavy 95 TA
One last piece of advice: Be careful of what "car people" tell you. Their facts and first person accounts are usually either wrong or greatly exaggerated. You are at a great place for information...but it's up to you to filter the junk from the good stuff.
deffinetly agree
Old 04-04-2006, 11:05 PM

I have had a 1998 A4 Z28 and a 2001 SS M6. I just bought a 1995 Z28 A4 and, while it is fun to drive, it aint no LS1. Not by a long shot. My SS dyno'd 321 hp and 341 Lb/ft stock. A freak car?? Maybe. I ran a 13.8 @ 104 mph way up here in Utah. (Elevation 4200') Converted that would be about a 12.9 et. LS1's are plenty fast out of the box. I do have to admit that I like the rumble of an LT1 a little better, but for better performance in every aspect get yourself an LS1 powered car. You won't regret it.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:15 PM

Yea thanks....I have been bored lately and go to www.streetfire.net and have been watching videos, its pretty cool some of the things you see, well i seen some fast cars and one fast lil lexus IS300 but it was heavily modded and it was beating LS1's I dunno i never really been in a Z28 yet to see how fast the LT1 or an LS1 feels, but i just want one or the other and i want it to be fast and reliable. Should i worry about the block sleeves not being able to be bored? should i get a 98 Z28, i like the new look, i wouldn't mind the old look either though. When i get one i plan to keep it for a real long time. Thx alot for the info
Old 04-04-2006, 11:44 PM

If you haven't been in either one of them, an LT1 will blow your mind. An LS1 will make you go insane!!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by GOFASTER
If you haven't been in either one of them, an LT1 will blow your mind. An LS1 will make you go insane!!

l agree.. they both great cars.. fast.. when i got to the USA. l needed a car and l didnt even know firebirds, cuz in europe people do not have muscle cars. l saw on autotrader and l like how they looked and l went to a dealer and l wanted to buy one and l was luky, it was a formula, not v6 bird. and l got into it and l started the car, the sound of the car made me crazy and l drove it. as soon as l got on the road, l floored it, l wasnt expecting that much power out of that car, l hit my head to seat. l looked at the speedo, it was on 60 it was like 2 secs. to me. l mean l agree .. when u get on thsoe cars, u will FALL IN love..

WARNING!!!!!

if u do not have enough money, do not drive an LT1 or LS1. this would couse to sell whatever u have to own one!!!

Erdal
Old 04-05-2006, 02:50 AM

I love my LS1. It's fast at almost any RPM, but you get it up to 4k or so and it opens up HARD. First gear gets squirrely and feels like the front end is floating off the ground. If you've never driven something with this kind of power, it'll probably scare the crap out of you the first few times you drop the hammer, but i guarantee you'll be hooked. It's freakin' awesome!
Old 04-05-2006, 05:23 AM

Yep, GM is notororious for under rating the F-Bodies. The LT1 is closer to 300-305 at the crank, some probably even close to 310, but the LS1's were the cars that were really under rated, they normally show power of 340-350 at the crank. As far as reliability, both are great. As far as performance, both are great. As far as cost, the LT1 has a little advantage over the LS1 being that it is older and easier to buy, and parts are a bit cheaper. But yes, unless you plan on spending money, do not buy either one expecting to modify. Things add up and if you're not prepared you can get caught, but once you do they are extremely great cars and extremely fun. Both will hook you. When you go to look reliability and performance, don't really look at these magazines, they are all biased. I saw a comparison between the 03 Cobra and the 02 SS, and they were talking about how expensive the SS was and how the 03 Cobra out performed it. What did they expect? It's a year newer, has a blower, and costs a lot more. O well, I would buy an LT1, I would never trade my LT1 for an LS1 since i love my car and really love the performance. Now will I ever own an LS1, probably, just won't get rid of my LT1
Old 04-05-2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by wdtiger

I love my LS1. It's fast at almost any RPM, but you get it up to 4k or so and it opens up HARD. It's freakin' awesome!
I agree, kinda offtopic but, I had a friend ride in my car (he had an lt1 and now drives a turbo 240) and he said when it gets up there it feels like a turbo kicking in. I love that part of the rpm band.
I dont know how true that is since I've never ridin in a turbo car.

Ls1's are great. But if I couldnt have gotten this I would have loved an LT1 just as much.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

The surge in power you see in an LS1 around 3500-4000 has nothing on the surge in my Grand National around 2500.

The LS1 is a few hairs quicker (0.4 sec) and a good bit faster (8 mph) through the quarter, but compared to the GN, it is a very smooth power band. Take a look at any LS1 dyno graph -- there are no surprises in the curve.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:18 AM

Well what do i need to look out for after i get one of these cars, i really don't want to be putting insane money into them, i can do the work or get it down for cheap though, name some suprises they have given you guys? I would still get one though
Old 04-05-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by LTBlackBird
Yep, GM is notororious for under rating the F-Bodies. The LT1 is closer to 300-305 at the crank, some probably even close to 310, but the LS1's were the cars that were really under rated, they normally show power of 340-350 at the crank. As far as reliability, both are great. As far as performance, both are great. As far as cost, the LT1 has a little advantage over the LS1 being that it is older and easier to buy, and parts are a bit cheaper. But yes, unless you plan on spending money, do not buy either one expecting to modify. Things add up and if you're not prepared you can get caught, but once you do they are extremely great cars and extremely fun. Both will hook you. When you go to look reliability and performance, don't really look at these magazines, they are all biased. I saw a comparison between the 03 Cobra and the 02 SS, and they were talking about how expensive the SS was and how the 03 Cobra out performed it. What did they expect? It's a year newer, has a blower, and costs a lot more. O well, I would buy an LT1, I would never trade my LT1 for an LS1 since i love my car and really love the performance. Now will I ever own an LS1, probably, just won't get rid of my LT1
LT1s are definetely not underrated!!!! l own an LT1 too, and LT1 dyno records shows, bone stock LT1 puts down 280-285 at the flywheel and 240-250rwhp. (bone stock)

Erdal
Old 04-05-2006, 06:28 PM

With any car you buy, make sure you do a full tune up, plugs, wires, coolant, oil change, tranny fluid and rear diff fluids, and a new fuel filter. You should always do those right away, so I'd make sure I had a good 200-300 to spare after buying a car.

And yea, lt1s aren't underrated as much as LS1s, but I think they are underrated a good 10 or so hp.

Both are great buys, and good bang for the buck if you wanna go fast, very reliable if you keep on top of maintence and don't beat the **** out of them everyday. When people say the LS1 is more reliable, may be true, optis can go out, but its not as bad as people make it seem, just if you have to replace it, buy a geniune gm, or dynaspark, don't buy an AZ reman or ac delco pos, and you'll be good for another 75-100k

Last edited by JimboManJones; 04-05-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:24 PM

I've got both, 95 TA and a 99 LS1 TA, both have been dyno'd bone stock, both have A4 transmission. LT1 was 236rwhp, the LS1 is 299rwhp.
Thats about 60 more hp for the LS1 and its advertised hp is not rated that much more than the LT1, so yes the LS1 is underrated a bit.

Quick Reply: [Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?